5 Second Audio Delay In Passthrough Digital Audio
I have a strange problem that Ive experienced before with my setup. Ive searched the forum, but theres so many threads of people having audio problems, I cant find any threads with my exact problem.

My problem is that whenever I play a video in XBMC that uses the digital passthrough (iec958) there is about a 5 second delay in which there is no audio, but the video is playing. After about 5 seconds, the audio plays properly. It is synced properly, and everything is fine. This wouldn't be a bit deal if it only happened when I started a new movie, but it also happens if I pause or stop a movie and then resume it. It gets annoying not being able to hear the first 5 seconds anytime I pause something. This problem only occurs when using Digital passthrough. If I play MP3s or any other stereo audio, this problem does not occur.

I am running on a custom built Shuttle PC with an ATI 3400 HDMI video card. My processor is an Intel Celeron 2.0GHz Dual Core with 2 GB of RAM.

I am currently running Ubuntu 10.04, but have previously had Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 and had the same problem on both older versions. I have also experimented with Windows 7 Ultimate on this same setup, and the problem does NOT exist in Windows.

My audio is all through the HDMI cable to my Onkyo RC160 receiver. Like I said, stereo audio from MP3s works fine. I believe this to be a Linux problem because using the exact same equipment under Windows 7, the problem did not occur. After the 5 seconds is over, the digital passthrough audio plays perfectly fine and is in sync properly.

If anyone has any ideas on what could cause this, please let me know! Smile
I have the same issue with hdmi audio via ion and my onkyo, but I haven't had time to look for a fix, as my delay is only like 2 seconds.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5 Second Audio Delay In Passthrough Digital Audio0