xbmc stream to xbox 360?
Can anyone confirm that current builds of xbmc can, indeed, stream to the xbox 360?

I'm trying to do this and the 360 sees the server fine, but it doesn't see any content in pictures/videos/movies. The xbmc works fine locally on the linux machine.

I may also try the windows build as well but ideally I wanted to get this to run in linux (BTW using current ubuntu hardy).

Thanks!!
jim.basilio Wrote:Can anyone confirm that current builds of xbmc can, indeed, stream to the xbox 360?

I'm trying to do this and the 360 sees the server fine, but it doesn't see any content in pictures/videos/movies. The xbmc works fine locally on the linux machine.

I may also try the windows build as well but ideally I wanted to get this to run in linux (BTW using current ubuntu hardy).

Thanks!!

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=UPnP_Sharing
Thanks for the link ... I read it as well as many threads on many sites. I was mostly asking to see if there are more than a few people that have this working - especially from Hardy. Do you by chance?

icekiller Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=UPnP_Sharing
I've checked and double checked ... the build I'm using is from Aug 14th on Kubuntu Hardy and it won't server files to the 360. Not sure what's up with that ... the 360 sees the XBMC server, but it has no music/pictures/videos.

BUMMER!!! I was hoping to ditch my TVersity server on my windows laptop in favor of my linux server.

anyone have this working on a new build?
Don't they have to be scanned to the library first?
Hitcher Wrote:Don't they have to be scanned to the library first?
That is correct. XBMC will only share files that are in the library (databases)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
avi and such files stream fine for me, however iso movies do not Sad but I'm assuming there isn't much that can be done about that.
TeknoJnky Wrote:avi and such files stream fine for me, however iso movies do not Sad but I'm assuming there isn't much that can be done about that.
No, that is an Xbox360 limitation. The Xbox360 will obviosly only play the formats it supports nativly, there is no transcoder in XBMC.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
thanks!!! that was it! (for music)

Unfortunately I also was hoping it would stream pictures and video... but there is no "scan to library" option like there was for music.

Hitcher Wrote:Don't they have to be scanned to the library first?
That's too bad to hear there's no transcoding on xbmc. I ran xbmc on my modded xbox1 and was always super impressed with all it supported. I somewhat assumed that because all the required libraries to transcode are OSS there would be support to transcode.... I know TVersity does this using OSS software.

Well, as I stated before, I can only stream music so far but it sounds like I should be able to do more ... and the transcoding MUST be something achievable given the dearth of tooling in the OSS world.

Here's to hoping!
Why not run XBMC on your TV instead of using the 360 - it'll be quieter too.
Exactly... if your after media the first gen Xbox (with XBMC of course) makes the 360 (and most consoles) look like something Fisher Price has made!
jim.basilio Wrote:That's too bad to hear there's no transcoding on xbmc. I ran xbmc on my modded xbox1 and was always super impressed with all it supported. I somewhat assumed that because all the required libraries to transcode are OSS there would be support to transcode.... I know TVersity does this using OSS software.

Well, as I stated before, I can only stream music so far but it sounds like I should be able to do more ... and the transcoding MUST be something achievable given the dearth of tooling in the OSS world.

Here's to hoping!

Achievable sure but right now the Devs seem to be really working on getting XBMC solidly ported and feature complete on Linux before trying to add still more functionality. It's pretty close right now I think but they seem to constantly find areas to improve. Maybe try posting in the Feature Request forum? Certainly if there exists libraries to do what you want it will happen sooner rather than later - maybe one of the devs will get the same itch and code it. <shrug>
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Integration ease ... I use the 360 for media center front end to vista media center. Having the 360 is cheaper for me to decode HDTV than building a computer capable of decoding HDTV (my media center computer that captures HDTV is a really old box that couldn't decode HDTV).

Plus integration with programming (tv) guide and eventual netflix integration ... unfortunately there are WAY too many features that me and my wife have gotten used to.

In the "old" days I was using mythtv and xbmc on the xbox and it worked pretty well for SDTV but the HDTV bug hit me and I don't have the $$ to spend to fix a non-broken system.

Hitcher Wrote:Why not run XBMC on your TV instead of using the 360 - it'll be quieter too.
On the original matter of getting videos into the Library, the only way I could find to do this is right-clicking on each video and selecting 'Manually add to library'

A very daunting task but the only way i could find to get it done.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc stream to xbox 360?0