OS X Having Kodi running means other apps reclaiming audio device with fade in
Sad 
O hai.

I run Kodi on a mac mini which controls my Spotify in the living room also. I keep Kodi running because then I can sit down around the TV and put something on using the Mac mini remote, without any additional steps.

Now when I put on some music on Spotify (using Spotify Connect, from my workstation), most of the time I miss the song's first note. This is very detrimental to the listening experience if the song starts out with a bang.

I'm pretty convinced that this has to do with Kodi 'claiming' the audio device for itself. And when another app on your machine wants it, Kodi lets go, and a fade out / in takes place.

The same thing actually happens if I turn off the TV set. Kodi appears to notice that the monitor is gone, therefore releases the audio device, causing drop out/in with cross fade

I am not sure why:
A - Kodi needs to claim the audio device for itself. No other app on my Mac does this (QuickTime Player, VLC, ...). Why can't it stick to system audio?
B - If it really has to, I could live without the fade out/in during handover. It ruins putting on a lot of songs that start out with a bang.

Thoughts?
Created an issue at GitHub.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Having Kodi running means other apps reclaiming audio device with fade in0