Kodi "Lite" Media Server
I don't know i anyone has asked for this before (and I would be shocked if I am the first)...

Kodi should have a lite version. That sits on your PC/Mac/Nas and does absolutely nothing but
  1. stores and manages your library.
  2. Shares that library to any other device on your network that you have the kodi app installed.
I think this is extremely necessary. I shouldn't have to have Plex on my computer and then use an add-on (pkc) to just get the managed library from plex on to The other devices that I have Kodi on. Kodi should be able to allow you "see" your Kodi server when you go into add files Under the relevant sections and just copy the saved library over without much hassle. So basically The Kodi server would be eating like a bridge between Your PC/Mac/Nas and just directly sending the data over to your local devices running Kodi for local play.

This doesn't even have to be something that Kodi needs to make a "lite version" for, it can also be something just built into Kodi as it stands and have the Kodi install on your computer be your "server". It already does something like this mind you, but it's a convoluted process and it doesn't mirror your library onto the other devices.

Like there should be an option in the library simply called "share library", and Kodi should look for any other devices on your network with Kodi installed and give you the option if you want to mirror/share the library on that device. And te kodi server would in that case just be letting the other devices access content set to it for direct play.

And no.... SMB is not intuitive at all. If that works as it should none of this may even be necessary.
(2021-02-14, 13:58)Lorddeff Wrote: I think this is extremely necessary.

Hmm... Opinions will differ on that subject. FYI, instead of 'light', search for headless on this forum. Attempts have been made in the past.
(2021-02-14, 14:20)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-02-14, 13:58)Lorddeff Wrote: I think this is extremely necessary.

Hmm... Opinions will differ on that subject. FYI, instead of 'light', search for headless on this forum. Attempts have been made in the past.
Thanks.

Ah well... I just want an easy way to have kodi on all my smart TVs in my house. I have a library 40TB strong. I just think it's weird that I have to use Plex for the library stuff, then use an add on in Kodi that basically ports my plex library over to Kodi. And also acts as a bridge between Kodi and my actual content on my HDD.
(2021-02-14, 14:56)Lorddeff Wrote: I just think it's weird that I have to use Plex for the library stuff, then use an add on in Kodi that basically ports my plex library over to Kodi. And also acts as a bridge between Kodi and my actual content on my HDD.

Using a MySQL database for shared metadata content, and direct connections to your 40TB file server, should be enough to run your media collection in Kodi on multiple clients.
@Lorddeff. No you are not the first to ask. There is an attempt to do that and more. We would love your feedback. If you can, give this a shot. It is not in Kodi's Mainline but it should do what you want.

https://github.com/Montellese/xbmc/wiki/Downloads

Kodi Instance Acting as Server
  • Settings>Services>UPnP/DLNA
    • Enable UPnP support - Enabled
    • Share my Libraries - Enabled

Kodi Instance Acting as Client
  • Settings>Settings>UPnP/DLNA
    • Enable UPnP Support - Enable
    • Import Media Items from UPnP Servers - Enable
  • Settings>Media Sources>All media providers
    • You should see your "Kodi Server" ,
    • Click on it and Choose Add Import...
    • Choose the media type that you want to import.
    • Complete the dialog and allow it to sync.
  • You can play items while it is syncing.
Forum Thread    Wiki

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
LongMan
(2021-02-14, 15:36)LongMan Wrote: @Lorddeff. No you are not the first to ask. There is an attempt to do that and more. We would love your feedback. If you can, give this a shot. It is not in Kodi's Mainline but it should do what you want.

https://github.com/Montellese/xbmc/wiki/Downloads

Kodi Instance Acting as Server
  • Settings>Services>UPnP/DLNA
    • Enable UPnP support - Enabled
    • Share my Libraries - Enabled

Kodi Instance Acting as Client
  • Settings>Settings>UPnP/DLNA
    • Enable UPnP Support - Enable
    • Import Media Items from UPnP Servers - Enable
  • Settings>Media Sources>All media providers
    • You should see your "Kodi Server" ,
    • Click on it and Choose Add Import...
    • Choose the media type that you want to import.
    • Complete the dialog and allow it to sync.
  • You can play items while it is syncing.
Forum Thread    Wiki

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
LongMan

Thanks. I Will look into that and give feedback.
Just tested this out works fine. Kodi on mac as server and on shield as client. easy install . Thanks for this. ( using plex )
EDIT : I spoke too soon , Movies work OK on both server and client. TV Shows only on server, client sync the shows and all the relevant metadata , but when clicking on an episode I get " the file is no longer available would you like to remove it from your library" thats even after putting TV Shows back to default and rebooting kodi client so it re scans everything back in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi "Lite" Media Server0