Problem compiling XBMC from SVN
fiddled a bit with building a 10.5 target, seems MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED is not set which causes the barf with statfs.

10.5 vs 10.4 MacPort builds should not matter if you are only planning on running on a 10.5 box. Both SDKs are supported even with dylibs.

Sounds like you have built something ppc. That's what "not supported on this architecture" means. architecture is intel (32 bit, 64 bit) and ppc. There's actually 4 different architectures.

Ahhh, you are building on an 10.5.6 intel iMac right?
davilla Wrote:...Ahhh, you are building on an 10.5.6 intel iMac right?

Yup.
jonm42 Wrote:Yup.

do a build, touch some .cpp file, then build again. copy build results and paste to http://www.pastebin.com and post the URL here.

Then run under Xcode, open Run-> Console and copy the part the relates to this run. same thing to pastebin.
Ok -- put a comment into ActionManager.cpp in guilib, did a "make" and got the following error:

http://pastebin.com/m685abf43

Did another make (after yanking the comment back out) and got the following clean build:

http://pastebin.com/m2e650a34

Next, I changed the same file, and then did a 10.4 Debug build of the XBMC.app target in Xcode; it rebuilt the entire project (all 798 files). Nothing showed in the console; here's the failed build results from the build result window:

http://pastebin.com/m6d19fa23

Note the xbmc.bin in the root directory didn't get touched. Hope this tells you something, and thanks again for all the help.
jonm42 Wrote:http://pastebin.com/m6d19fa23

Note the xbmc.bin in the root directory didn't get touched. Hope this tells you something, and thanks again for all the help.

GUIWindowKaraokeLyrics.cpp is in the wrong place.

Xcode is looking here;

/Users/jonathan/xbmc/XBMC/xbmc/GUIWindowKaraokeLyrics.cpp

but the file is here;

/Users/jonathan/xbmc/XBMC/xbmc/karaoke/GUIWindowKaraokeLyrics.cpp
Well after creating Debug/XBMC/ (and moving where it looked for that file mentioned), I got a "clean" build, but we're back to bad architecture thing again. Console output is:

[Session started at 2009-02-16 08:33:08 -0800.]

The Debugger has exited due to signal 5 (SIGTRAP).The Debugger has exited due to signal 5 (SIGTRAP).
If it helps any, it looks like the Debug/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS folder is empty. I tried just copying xbmc.bin in there, but that didn't work. (I didn't really expect it to, but you never know.)
my standard mode of operation after an svn up is the following;

from command-line in the root xbmc dir

make clean
./configure
make externals more_libs

then open the Xcode project;

project tab is set to "10.4 | Debug | XBMC"

"build" or "build and go"

I also have in menu -> projects -> edit active executable "XBMC" -> Arguments, bottom panel. Variables to be set in the enviroment

XBMC_HOME $SRCROOT

This sets XBMC_HOME correctly when running under Xcode.

Xcode version os 3.1.2 and 10.4SDK is installed.

If you are pulling from svn, life goes up and down as things get added. Sometimes the OSX build breaks and I go and fix it.

When set to "10.4 | Debug | XBMC", you are just building the xbmc binary NOT xbmc.app

to build xbmc.app set the project tab to

"10.4 | Debug | XBMC.app"

Then and only then will Debug/XBMC.app/.... get updated.

You cannot "Build and Go" and debug XBMC.app. Only debugging under "10.4 | Debug | XBMC" is supported.
jonm42 Wrote:If it helps any, it looks like the Debug/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS folder is empty. I tried just copying xbmc.bin in there, but that didn't work. (I didn't really expect it to, but you never know.)

xbmc.bin is made from the command-line, don't confuse it with the binary xbmc made via the Xcode project. Similar but not the same.
It looks like a check in of some kind is in progress because I'm getting 40+ errors of "cannot declare field <varname>::m_dllAvCodec to be of abstract type 'DllAvCodec' because the following virtual functions are pure within 'DllAvCodec'". (Specifically, it's griping about avcodec_find_vdpau_decoder.) So I'll try an svn up and re-recipe later. Thanks again for your help and patience with a newbie to this project.
hold on, there's a screwup in svn right now.
fixed in SVN rev 17774
This is starting to get vexing. I get all the way to the end of the Xcode build, and it gripes that it can't find build/Debug/XBMC, so I go do a mkdir, and hit build again, and that succeeds. I then go build XBMC.app, and THAT succeeds. Then I go to the finder, double click on XBMC, and I get the unsupported architecture message. Again Sad. BTW, the XBMC icon looks like it has the international "NO" symbol across it (the slashed circle). And the console has the same signal 5 trap as before. And the MacOS directory is still empty. My brain hurts.
I would really like to build from SVN and have been trying without success for over a week now. I followed initially the guide in the SVN download and despite a multitude of warnings it created a XBMC.app . I managed to run it on my mac but it was no go on the Apple TV.

I have some questions I have looked for the answers but cant find them so If anyone could help i would appreciate it.

First here is what I have done so far while trying to build this morning.

1) Checked out SVN saved to $HOME
2) Opened terminal and from $HOME/XBMC ran the following as per davilla's post #23 above

make clean
./configure
make externals more_libs

3) I then opened Xcode version 3.1.2 and I have the 10.4 SDK Installed
4) Opened the XBMC.xcodeproj file located in the $HOME/XBMC Folder
5) Set the projects -> edit active executable "XBMC" -> Arguments, bottom panel. Variables to be set in the environment to XBMC_HOME $SRCROOT
6) Changed the project tab settings to 10.4 | Debug | XBMC.app
7) Selected Build and Go

After all that the build failed with 19 errors the last being no file or directory exists in $HOME/XBMC/Build/Debug/XBMC

Any thoughts on the above process, are there any logs or other pieces of info that would help.

Also do I need a existing build of XBMC in the Debug folder I ask this as im not sure if the process updates existing builds or completely compiles a new build.

Thanks in advance

terrier
jonm42 Wrote:This is starting to get vexing. I get all the way to the end of the Xcode build, and it gripes that it can't find build/Debug/XBMC, so I go do a mkdir, and hit build again, and that succeeds. I then go build XBMC.app, and THAT succeeds. Then I go to the finder, double click on XBMC, and I get the unsupported architecture message. Again Sad. BTW, the XBMC icon looks like it has the international "NO" symbol across it (the slashed circle). And the console has the same signal 5 trap as before. And the MacOS directory is still empty. My brain hurts.

small steps, post to pastebin your build results between steps. do a "ls -R" in the build dir and pastebin that. Need more info to track this down.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem compiling XBMC from SVN0