[split] RBPI platform - newclock5 catchup, X11 support
And is there any plan to support X11 like on "normal" Linux (Ubuntu X86, for example) ? GBM is something for embedded systems not for desktop systems.
(2021-02-22, 18:48)rascas Wrote: And is there any plan to support X11 like on "normal" Linux (Ubuntu X86, for example) ? GBM is something for embedded systems not for desktop systems.

As far as LibreELEC goes:
Code:
Generic (x86_64). LE 10.0 has low-impact changes. We are using a newer Linux kernel (5.10) and drivers that bring support for newer generations of hardware using Intel, AMD, and nVidia GPUs but we are still using X11 (and nVidia vendor drivers). Although we are running kernels and drivers that now support HDR (on limited Intel/AMD hardware) this also requires GBM/V4L2 in Kodi and we feel further work and testing is needed before we can make the switch. The move from X11 (and demise of nVidia support) is still going to happen, but not in the LE 10.0 release. Community created images with initial HDR support are being released via the forums.

Ubuntu still offers X11 next to the now default Wayland, but for how long? Kodi 19 in Ubuntu 20.04 works on both systems.
(2021-02-22, 18:48)rascas Wrote: And is there any plan to support X11 like on "normal" Linux (Ubuntu X86, for example) ? GBM is something for embedded systems not for desktop systems.

Please, open a separate thread for this. This does not relate to the topic, which is very specific in its nature.
@nkichukov @rascas

Already split.
It should work as it is, just without acceleration.

Unfortunately you can't get the performance desired when using X11 even when decode is hardware accelerated
(see the difference in performance of VLC fullscreen vs windowed).
(2021-02-22, 18:57)Klojum Wrote:

As far as LibreELEC goes:
Code:
Generic (x86_64). LE 10.0 has low-impact changes. We are using a newer Linux kernel (5.10) and drivers that bring support for newer generations of hardware using Intel, AMD, and nVidia GPUs but we are still using X11 (and nVidia vendor drivers). Although we are running kernels and drivers that now support HDR (on limited Intel/AMD hardware) this also requires GBM/V4L2 in Kodi and we feel further work and testing is needed before we can make the switch. The move from X11 (and demise of nVidia support) is still going to happen, but not in the LE 10.0 release. Community created images with initial HDR support are being released via the forums.

Ubuntu still offers X11 next to the now default Wayland, but for how long? Kodi 19 in Ubuntu 20.04 works on both systems.

Libreelec is embedded Linux system designed for Kodi only, so it is irrelevant in this case.
What I am talking about is on full linux distributions, more specifically Raspberry Pi OS in my case.
Do you realize that you can't open Kodi-GBM if you are working with a desktop environment ? Be it Wayland or X11 which is what Raspberry Pi OS uses by default.
For that you have to do some hacks which may be a security issue.
Is it Kodi ideas to only work on embedded Linux systems and abandon Desktop support on Linux?
(2021-02-22, 19:40)popcornmix Wrote: It should work as it is, just without acceleration.

Unfortunately you can't get the performance desired when using X11 even when decode is hardware accelerated
(see the difference in performance of VLC fullscreen vs windowed).

Well Kodi without hardware acceleration is pretty much useless on something like the RPi, you kind of said it in the end.

Well you can do what you did with VLC. Performance can be bad in windowed mode but shouldn't be a problem in fullscreen like it happens on VLC.
They did this on Odroid abd it works fine.

The problem with KODI-GBM I already explained it in my previous reply.
Is you requirement to run kodi in a window on the X11 desktop?
Or just to be able to launch kodi from X11 to run fullscreen?

The second of these is much easier than the first.
The first one. The second one I can already do but with hacks which may be considered as a security issue.
One other reasons that I am asking this, is before the switch to kodi-gbm, Kodi worked fine (slow but fine) on the RPi 1/0. Now it doesn't work or videos are unwatchable. This tells me that this GBM stuff is heavier than the previous render method. On RPi 2/3 hevc doesn't work, and most likely never will again. You can skip the explanation that RPi 2/3 doesn't have HEVC hardware video decoding, bla, bla, bla, the fact is that it worked and now it doesn't.

Now you can see my disappointment with kodi 19 on the RPi. Since Kodi 19 has very few changes/improvements it is like doing a downgrade.
My recommendation is for Pi2/3 users to stick with kodi 18 for the immediate future. You are correct, it doesn't have the same features.

On Pi4 it's more of a swings and roundabouts situation. Sticking with kodi 18 is the safer option.
Kodi 19 has no tearing and more responsive gui, HBR audio passthrough and some HDR support (still work to be done, but it is better).
But, no deinterlace, no 3D and no 4kp60 display output (although this should be working soon) are the downsides.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] RBPI platform - newclock5 catchup, X11 support0