Solved Crash on start Matrix and Nvidia Shield
Hi, my installation upgraded to Matrix and my shares seemed to break. I just decided to do a clean install. I then just add the SMB share and start videos section scanning. I have a reasonable sized collection so leave it running. I come back some time later, Shield has gone to sleep so I wake it and select Kodi app.. I get nothing but black screen for a couple of seconds and then back to the shield menus.

so I uninstalled, cleared data again and did a fresh install, again do nothing but add the share and start videos section scanning.. it starts adding all the media, scrapping artwork etc. so I leave it running. When I come back, open the app and exact same thing is happening again. Crashing on startup. No addons, nothing. Just a single smb added and a video scan run on a fresh install and its repeatable.

I’m a bit lost now, don’t see people mentioning this. Is it known issue?!
(2021-03-03, 15:54)Thebatfink Wrote: Hi, my installation upgraded to Matrix and my shares seemed to break. I just decided to do a clean install. I then just add the SMB share and start videos section scanning. I have a reasonable sized collection so leave it running. I come back some time later, Shield has gone to sleep so I wake it and select Kodi app.. I get nothing but black screen for a couple of seconds and then back to the shield menus.

so I uninstalled, cleared data again and did a fresh install, again do nothing but add the share and start videos section scanning.. it starts adding all the media, scrapping artwork etc. so I leave it running. When I come back, open the app and exact same thing is happening again. Crashing on startup. No addons, nothing. Just a single smb added and a video scan run on a fresh install and its repeatable.

Hi

I have a Shield too , I did the upgrade no problem , I had some issues with the installed skin so i had to install kodi again from cero , and all went fine , I seen some post mention problem with SMB , did you check it?

Did you check your SMB configuration under Services?
(2021-03-03, 17:26)MAX404 Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 15:54)Thebatfink Wrote: Hi, my installation upgraded to Matrix and my shares seemed to break. I just decided to do a clean install. I then just add the SMB share and start videos section scanning. I have a reasonable sized collection so leave it running. I come back some time later, Shield has gone to sleep so I wake it and select Kodi app.. I get nothing but black screen for a couple of seconds and then back to the shield menus.

Hi

I have a Shield too , I did the upgrade no problem , I had some issues with the installed skin so i had to install kodi again from cero , and all went fine , I seen some post mention problem with SMB , did you check it?

I didn’t (well I didn’t read it all), but that was because my SMB created fine, I added as a source and it was happily scraping away over the network share and pulling down posters / populating up with movies no problem. Seems that issue is people not being able to get at their shares). Is there a way to grab the error logs for Kodi off a shield when it won’t start? My guess is at some time during that long scrape it got upset and crashed and now can’t start.

edit: actually found the log file. There is a whole bunch of this for few hours:

2021-03-02 22:26:30.847 T:7932     INFO <general>: initializing python engine.
2021-03-02 22:26:30.893 T:7932     INFO <general>: CPythonInvoker(7, /mnt/expand/ff12c829-7dfe-4ac3-8d3a-75c92d0c6541/user/0/org.xbmc.kodi/cache/apk/assets/addons/metadata.themoviedb.org.python/python/scraper.py): script successfully run

which I guess is the scrapper running, then the log file just abruptly ends. The above is actually the last log entry, no mentions of error or anything writing to the log when I try to open the app now which just fails.

edit 2: well that is odd. I cleared cache (not data) and it still wouldn’t start. So I restarted the shield.. now it starts. I dont have much installed, kodi, plex, netflix, amazon and thats about it, I don’t think I’ve ever experienced an app refusing to start until I reboot the shield before.
(2021-03-03, 18:16)Thebatfink Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 17:26)MAX404 Wrote:

Hi

I didn’t (well I didn’t read it all), but that was because my SMB created fine, I added as a source and it was happily scraping away over the network share and pulling down posters / populating up with movies no problem. Seems that issue is people not being able to get at their shares). Is there a way to grab the error logs for Kodi off a shield when it won’t start? My guess is at some time during that long scrape it got upset and crashed and now can’t start.

Ok so SMB is working

Kodi logs on android are located here

Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

You should be able to retrieve the kodi.log or kodi.old.log with any file explorer installed in the shield or from your PC if you mapped the shield in your PC, depending in how the shield crash you may be able to get some relevant information from the log

kodi. log wiki
(2021-03-03, 18:32)MAX404 Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 18:16)Thebatfink Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 17:26)MAX404 Wrote: Hi

Ok so SMB is working

You should be able to retrieve the kodi.log or kodi.old.log with any file explorer installed in the shield or from your PC if you mapped the shield in your PC, depending in how the shield crash you may be able to get some relevant information from the log

kodi. log wiki

Sorry I edited my post as you were replying I think. It now boots, I do see it only scanned about 40% of my movies though so seems it just abruptly stopped running and that upset it starting back up again. Maybe shield went to sleep? But never had that problem before. Started it scanning again and its running so I guess see what happens this time?
(2021-03-03, 18:41)Thebatfink Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 18:32)MAX404 Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 18:16)Thebatfink Wrote: I didn’t (well I didn’t read it all), but that was because my SMB created fine, I added as a source and it was happily scraping away over the network share and pulling down posters / populating up with movies no problem. Seems that issue is people not being able to get at their shares). Is there a way to grab the error logs for Kodi off a shield when it won’t start? My guess is at some time during that long scrape it got upset and crashed and now can’t start.

Ok so SMB is working

kodi. log wiki

Sorry I edited my post as you were replying I think. It now boots, I do see it only scanned about 40% of my movies though so seems it just abruptly stopped running and that upset it starting back up again. Maybe shield went to sleep? But never had that problem before. Started it scanning again and its running so I guess see what happens this time?

What you said makes me wonder if the problem is the shield and not kodi , but you said it started to happen after matrix upgrade, install an older version of kodi and see if it happens with an older version of kodi , if it happens again maybe the problem is the shield .
You could try the get the logcat of the shield and check if it say something , logcat of android are not that easy

Check this guide

And this from Nvidia

Sorry i miss this part

edit 2: well that is odd. I cleared cache (not data) and it still wouldn’t start. So I restarted the shield.. now it starts. I dont have much installed, kodi, plex, netflix, amazon and thats about it, I don’t think I’ve ever experienced an app refusing to start until I reboot the shield before.

Is possible I seen it before on my Shield and in some phones.....
(2021-03-03, 19:32)MAX404 Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 18:41)Thebatfink Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 18:32)MAX404 Wrote: Ok so SMB is working

kodi. log wiki

What you said makes me wonder if the problem is the shield and not kodi , but you said it started to happen after matrix upgrade, install an older version of kodi and see if it happens with an older version of kodi , if it happens again maybe the problem is the shield .
You could try the get the logcat of the shield and check if it say something , logcat of android are not that easy

Check this guide

And this from Nvidia
Thanks for the links, so the scraping continued and this time I sat watching. It scraped another 50% and right now its frozen with the scanning movies notification in the upper right. The busy circle is frozen also. I’ve given it 10 mins but seems like thats it, stuck. I also can not access the shields storage over network from my pc as though the whole shield has locked up. But I can hit the home button and shield immediately responds by bringing up home app screen. Kodi wont come on again, just black screen (guess thats frozen in the background) but can go back home from the black screen, open netflix and start streaming as though nothing wrong. Interestingly though, still cant access shield storage over network. I also cant open the apps sidebar menu. I’ve just tried to restart and its trying to but not doing it (maybe waiting for processes to finish).

Definitely something about matrix its not happy about. Had zero issues until this. So I just resorted to pulling out the power and cycling it.

I check old log and just have it ending abruptly again as though it just stopped whilst scraping, no errors:

2021-03-03 17:23:55.393 T:8280     INFO <general>: CPythonInvoker(4, /mnt/expand/ff12c829-7dfe-4ac3-8d3a-75c92d0c6541/user/0/org.xbmc.kodi/cache/apk/assets/addons/metadata.themoviedb.org.python/python/scraper.py): script successfully run

I’ve enabled debug logging now and will attempt tv shows scrap which is even bigger collection. Maybe it will happen again and show something else. Will also watch the memory usage.

edit: yep strange weird hang. Log just ends whilst scrapping again. I guess at this point I’m going back to leia.
(2021-03-03, 19:52)Thebatfink Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 19:32)MAX404 Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 18:41)Thebatfink Wrote: Sorry I edited my post as you were replying I think. It now boots, I do see it only scanned about 40% of my movies though so seems it just abruptly stopped running and that upset it starting back up again. Maybe shield went to sleep? But never had that problem before. Started it scanning again and its running so I guess see what happens this time?

Check this guide

And this from Nvidia

edit: yep strange weird hang. Log just ends whilst scrapping again. I guess at this point I’m going back to leia.

Hi

Did you change back to Leia, how did it go?

As I said , i had issues with matrix but they where skin related , nothing as critical as you , actually it made me think it was the Shield giving you trouble , but to discard that option i would try rolling back to Leia and see how it goes,,,
Initially it was the skin I had problem with, horizon. I couldn’t fix that at the time (and think he updated it now), so I flat out reinstalled.. several times as above.

I have gone back to 18.9 tonight and it scanned movies no problem and currently scanning tv shows now. My first observation is tmdb movie scanner was specifically named ‘python’ in 19 but it is not in 18.9. Did the scanner change? Do you use this one OK? It does hang when I’m scraping so maybe that is something?

I really wish could install 19 and have it work.

edit: it *might* have just happened again. Now I am a bit confused. The only other link I can think of here is the usb storage. I’m going to try a new usb ssd drive and see what happens.. but not seeing any complaints from the shield it has issues with it. I do wish they would create a shield with more storage built in. My intention will be to try get a drive today and I’ll factory reset and try again. I think if you have it working well then it should work. Also curious when kodi hangs, whilst the shield seems happy to work andcload other apps, my remote access to its storage over network is going down with kodi. Maybe its the storage.
Seems indeed an issue with USB storage. I was using a dongle type usb storage for quite some time. I guess it was having issues or overheating or something. I attached an external SSD, factory reset and set everything up from scratch (including Matrix). Seems fine so far, everything has scraped without issue. Good call on pointing to the shield itself looks like that was the problem!
(2021-03-07, 01:06)Thebatfink Wrote: Seems indeed an issue with USB storage. I was using a dongle type usb storage for quite some time. I guess it was having issues or overheating or something. I attached an external SSD, factory reset and set everything up from scratch (including Matrix). Seems fine so far, everything has scraped without issue. Good call on pointing to the shield itself looks like that was the problem!

Hi

Great news mate , glad you sorted out ..... it did had a hardware smell to it ... good call too taking the usb approach
Kodi team resolved the smb share not shown in Shield TV issue (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/19523) a week ago and the development build can show shield tv smb share as it was with Leia.
I installed the development build for Matrx (https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/androi...8a/Matrix/) and it works fine.
Hope to have official release with this fix soon. But so far, for two days, I have no issue with the development build( kodi-20210411-0d1f616c-Matrix-arm64-v8a.apk ).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crash on start Matrix and Nvidia Shield0