XBMC is unable to see local movie trailer when local movie nfo file exists
Local Movie Trailer is not visible from XBMC when a local movie nfo file exists.
This XBMC bug was found during testing of billyad2000's Media Companion program.
I am posting in the Linux Bug discussion, but this bug has also been tested for and found on XBMC for XBOX as well.

Background:
1. XBMC svn 14921 (Atlantis)
2. Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10
3. i686 Architecture
4. XBMC installed via Gutsy PPA (Atlantis)
5. The problem can be produced in the following manner using the naming structure below:
{moviename}.avi
{moviename}-trailer.mov
{moviename}.nfo

6. Since this bug is simply something that just doesn't happen when it should, I am uncertain how to capture a debug log. I am how posting a sample 'non'-working nfo file.
http://www.pastebin.ca/1180854

Tests performed to date:
1) I have reviewed the nfo file created and the <trailer><trailer> tag is empty. However, if I remove the <trailer><trailer> tag completely from the nfo file, the problem persists.
2) I have attempted with many different videos with the same outcome.

Two workarounds at this time:
1) Delete local {moviename}.nfo file and refresh (rescrape) the movie information the trailer is again visible (but lose nfo file)
2) Manually edit the {moviename}.nfo file and add the 'file location' of the trailer and refresh the movie information the trailer is again visible. (quite challenging process for multiple movie environment)

My assumption is that {moviename}-trailer.mov should be treated in the same manner as {moviename}-fanart.jpg?
your assumption may be wrong as there's a difference between images and database data. i am assuming that when scraping, xbmc looks for an associated trailer file. when using an nfo file, nothing is scraped as all the information should be in the nfo file. the trailer is just a field in the database. if that field is empty, or missing, in the nfo file, then that's how it will be in the database. just like if you left the genre empty or missing.

now, images are a bit different. they are cached locally using a hashed filename. even ones downloaded during the scraping operation. i believe local ones get cached first, and then the scraped ones are stored as urls in the database. if a locally cached thumb does not exist, the url is fetched and cached.

as another test, "scan" a movie which has an imdb trailer but associate a local trailer for it. just use any arbitrary video file so you can tell the difference. then when you play the trailer from the info window, note which plays. the imdb trailer (which would be streamed over the internet) or your local one.

(and just because its likely coded this way, it doesnt mean that it shouldnt work the other way.)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
kraqh3d Wrote:as another test, "scan" a movie which has an imdb trailer but associate a local trailer for it. just use any arbitrary video file so you can tell the difference. then when you play the trailer from the info window, note which plays. the imdb trailer (which would be streamed over the internet) or your local one.

(and just because its likely coded this way, it doesnt mean that it shouldnt work the other way.)
Thanks Kraqh3d great test to try.

My need some help here, is there anyone out there who has happened to 'find' a movie that actually has an IMDB trailer associated to it?

I searched last night and then again this morning, but every movie that I browse to on the IMDB has 'trailer' greyed out.
I have went through the IMDB top 250, I have went through a good portion of my own movies, I have went through IMDB top at the box office, but I have not been able to find a single movie with an IMDB trailer associated to it.
Searching for 'movie-trailers' in IMBD leads to a 'Trailers on Other Sites' page for some of the movies, but these don't appear to be scrape'able'.

Wink I understand your other comment, thanks. I should mention that billyad2000's Media Companion actually does display movies with trailers by including a "Play Trailer" button for the movie (even though the nfo files don't include the trailer location)
Pixar's Cars does. lol, its actually a video of the videogame!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
The Media Companion Program populates the <trailer><trailer> tags with the url of a trailer stored on IMDB

Unless
bionic1234 Wrote:Thanks Kraqh3d great test to try.

My need some help here, is there anyone out there who has happened to 'find' a movie that actually has an IMDB trailer associated to it?

I searched last night and then again this morning, but every movie that I browse to on the IMDB has 'trailer' greyed out.
I have went through the IMDB top 250, I have went through a good portion of my own movies, I have went through IMDB top at the box office, but I have not been able to find a single movie with an IMDB trailer associated to it.
Searching for 'movie-trailers' in IMBD leads to a 'Trailers on Other Sites' page for some of the movies, but these don't appear to be scrape'able'.

Wink I understand your other comment, thanks. I should mention that billyad2000's Media Companion actually does display movies with trailers by including a "Play Trailer" button for the movie (even though the nfo files don't include the trailer location)

I'm wondering if IMDB only have licence to show the trailers in certain countries

Someone else encountered this problem in the main thread

steve1977 Wrote:This sounds awesome. That was indeed be awesome and a terrific addition. Cannot wait to see this running. Really love your work. Thanks!!!

Separate question: for some reason IMDB trailers dont show up with (neither within the scraper, but also not on the IMDB web site). Are there country restrictions that makes them not accessible outside the US or so? Thoughts?

Cheers.

Either way, I don't think the DB needs to be used to add what bionic1234 is asking for.

When someone selects movie info, my preferred behaviour would be.

Check for Moviename-trailer.xxx
if it doesn't exist then
Check For url within nfo file or check DB for trailer URL. The order of these doenst really matter.
Quote:Either way, I don't think the DB needs to be used to add what bionic1234 is asking for.
I never said it did. I'm merely stating how it works. The Trailer button plays the trailer path field found in the database. (Technically, its a field in the VideoInfoTag which gets populated from the database.) During the scraping process, a local file is looked for, or the url for the trailer is scraped. When using an xml nfo file, this entire process is skipped as all the data is supposed to be in the nfo file.

Quote:When someone selects movie info, my preferred behaviour would be.

Check for Moviename-trailer.xxx
if it doesn't exist then
Check For url within nfo file or check DB for trailer URL. The order of these doenst really matter.

I agree. I just took a look. It happens in VideoInfoScanner::GetIMDBDetails() which is skipped when a local nfo xml file is found. You'll see the section which looks for the local trailer. My suggestion is to extract that out into a new function VideoInfoScanner::FindTrailer() and have AddMovieAndGetThumb() call this function inside the movie content block, before SetDetails(). If you can do this, post a patch on trac.
anyone else consider this a "bug" ??
Yes - this is a bug. The check for local could be done in the video information screen I think? That way if they add it later on it doesn't require a refresh.

Cheers,
Jonathan

hmm... in that case, maybe the check for the local file should be removed entirely from the scanner? then, the database only ever stores the remote url. and the info window can always check for a local one first before doing the remote fetch.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_Submi...Bug_Report
New bug ticket sybmitted? Huh
sorry guys, life has caught up on me. i will submit a bug in the trac later this evening/tomorrow morning since this is now confirmed to be a bug
since i've not seen any other suggestions, i think i'm going to remove the local trailer searching from the scanner. this means the database will always have a remove trailer url. and then move the search for a local trailer directly into the info window. if a local trailer exists, that's what the button will play. otherwise, it'll play the url in the library. and if neither exists, the button is disabled.

** edit **
downside is that whenever you bring up the info window, xbmc is going to look for a local trailer in the same path as the file. is this that bad? if no trailer ever exists, it'll keep looking everytime and that's a positive. as soon as one is added, it'll be noticed. an option is to update the db when its found by the info window, overwriting the previously stored url.
We look for thumbs remotely if it doesn't have one I think? If so, I see little problem in looking for trailers as well.

kraqh3d Wrote:...downside is that whenever you bring up the info window, xbmc is going to look for a local trailer in the same path as the file. is this that bad? if no trailer ever exists, it'll keep looking everytime and that's a positive. as soon as one is added, it'll be noticed. an option is to update the db when its found by the info window, overwriting the previously stored url.

I see this as bad because this action will spin up the drives on my server to look for that trailer - and what happens if the server (remote share) isn't online.

In saying this though, I was personally thinking of running my trailers from the xbox - that would solve these issues, but certainly a part of me likes the idea of all the media for a particular item being in the same place.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
Quote:I see this as bad because this action will spin up the drives on my server to look for that trailer

that's what i was thinking about when i added that maybe it should update the db after it finds it. frankly, i dont see the problem. if you're using xbmc, you're gonna be playing something at some point, right? so, the drives gotta spin up at some point. in fact, its better if they spin up before then, as it'll reduce the startup lag when you do play something.

honestly, you're gonna have to get over this thing about your drive spin-up because there are plans in the works which will mean xbmc will probably be interrogating your server much more frequently so that thumbs get refreshed and stuff like that.

it may be that the "look for remote thumbs" option gets generalized to include searching for remote nfo, trailer, and fanart files as well.

Quote:and what happens if the server (remote share) isn't online.
nothing. it just wont find the trailer. it maybe a little slower as it'll have to timeout, but it shouldnt be that bad.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC is unable to see local movie trailer when local movie nfo file exists1