• 18(current)
PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC
I can also confirm that PlayOn doesn't stream HD to XBMC with HD enabled in Playon.

I've tested with Hulu+, Amazon Prime, & Netflix. All played in SD.

There was a post on the Playon forums, from one of the devs, stating that it was an XBMC issue, & there was nothing that "they" could do. I'll try & find the post later...

-Vlad
I don't believe the post you are speaking of was from an XBMC employee. At least it doesn't look official. Follow the link by bravado88 and you will see it. I posted in that thread also. Im wondering if this is a limitation with streaming services, or even my media... And how could I tell lol,
(2014-01-12, 16:23)teamvaal Wrote: I don't believe the post you are speaking of was from an XBMC employee...

I referring to a Playon Dev.

-Vlad
Lol its early here and I have no coffee in me, I meant from a playon employee not XBMC (still getting used to all the buzzwords for this, built my setup this weekend). I did send a report request this morning, so maybe I will also get an official response. If I do I will post here.

Sounds like Im better letting XBMC handle my local media and Playon handle streaming services (I don't mind the sd on Netflix etc, I prefer the integration, its why I bought playon in the first place).
I did get a response from playon support:

"We will be looking into this once our developers are cleared out a few issues and upgrades they are working on out of their queue.

It's just simply how we send videos to XBMC at this time that doesn't allow HD video files to be sent to XBMC. Currently we send MPEG-2 files to XBMC, for XBMC to gain the ability to play HD content from PlayOn we will need to change this to MP4 video files, which of course XBMC supports. As I stated before once we have cleared out some other features and content our developers are working on then they will look into updating what video types we send XBMC."
For Confluence skin or whatever else can use it.....click image for photobucket use media options menu to download file in full size.

I am really annoyed at this.

I would pay to get Netflix HD running on my Openelec machine. AND I DID. but It doesnt work and this is what Playon had to say about it today.

Re: XBMC in HD
You can stream HD videos to XBMC. However, XBMC will only request an HD video stream if it is installed on the PC where PlayOn is also installed. If you connect to PlayOn from XBMC installed on a different PC, XBMC identifies itself as a generic UPnP device that is not capable of playing HD video, so PlayOn has to stream SD video. This is an unfortunate limitation created by how XBMC behaves locally vs. how it behaves over a network.

This is noted on our website. Out supported devie page states:

"* Please note that you must be running XBMC on the same PC as the PlayOn media server to get HD-quality streaming"

http://www.playon.tv/supported-devices

-------------------------

Now I am not sure how much truth there is to it but can someone here shed light on XBMC's DLNA/UPNP capability and why it does not play HD streams and outputs everything in standard def?
I am running XBMC and Playon on the same system and I still don't get HD video from Netflix.
What are you running for OS on your
(2014-04-22, 21:13)ozkhan1 Wrote: I am really annoyed at this.

I would pay to get Netflix HD running on my Openelec machine. AND I DID. but It doesnt work and this is what Playon had to say about it today.

Re: XBMC in HD
You can stream HD videos to XBMC. However, XBMC will only request an HD video stream if it is installed on the PC where PlayOn is also installed. If you connect to PlayOn from XBMC installed on a different PC, XBMC identifies itself as a generic UPnP device that is not capable of playing HD video, so PlayOn has to stream SD video. This is an unfortunate limitation created by how XBMC behaves locally vs. how it behaves over a network.

This is noted on our website. Out supported devie page states:

"* Please note that you must be running XBMC on the same PC as the PlayOn media server to get HD-quality streaming"

http://www.playon.tv/supported-devices

-------------------------

Now I am not sure how much truth there is to it but can someone here shed light on XBMC's DLNA/UPNP capability and why it does not play HD streams and outputs everything in standard def?

Related -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192948
I just bought the lifetime license to give PlayOn a shot.

Honestly it seems like a crudely coded mightmare that would not work at all for me.

100% CPU anytime I try to stream HD content from Netflix or whenever I try recording something from youtube of netflix.

I do not understand what it is doing to the stream that requires 100% CPU.

Either way this is not what I expected given there are many people recommending it.

I asked for a refund a couple days ago and have not heard a thing back from them yet. Good thing I payed with Paypal, because if they do not respond soon I will open a dispute with Paypal pretty quick.
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC3