• 5(current)
PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC
MXChris,

Did you sign up for the silverlight beta that was offered by Netflix?

If so, that would cause a playback problem there. There is a way to check at Netflix if you are. The link is either on this thread or at the media mall / PlayOn site.

PlayOn is aware of that problem.

Not sure if that would affect HULU.

You may wish to check the PlayOn user forum at http://www.themediamall.com/forum/

V.
I have the Silverlight app installed on my desktop I've not opted into the Silverlight Netflix player though.

I do not have Silverlight installed on my laptop and I just tried using that as the PlayON server with the same results. I'm sure this is something so simple, just a setting or two that are wrong...
Firewall Issue? AntiVirus program?

Try to turn off your windows firewall (Defender) and see what happens.
I don't use a software firewall, AVG is not blocking access to anything. The PlayON support staff directed me to the "Unsupported Devices" section of their forums which I had already posted a question on.

Thanks for the input, any more ideas?
MXChris,

When all else fails, I default to "delete and reinstall".

Clearly, nothing that you have said offers validity to that action, but it falls into the "it can't hurt" catagory.

Do you DHCP or static your net addresses? I use static on mine.

V.
Static. I are aggrevated Sad
So after a bit of trouble getting WMP11 installed, I finally got playOn installed.

I am running XBMC 8.10 atlantis with the media skin, and the most up-to-date version of playOn. I have a hard-wired connection with ample bandwidth. I typically get combined torrent download speeds of 1MB/s. In playOn, I set the video quality settings to medium, and I am using the default XBMC video cache settings. I don't use netflix, so I am using playOn specifically for Hulu content.

I am experiencing similar problems when getting content to start playing. I have to choose the episode 2 or 3 times before it begins to buffer and play. That I can live with...

My problem however is that I always hear the audio about 5 seconds before I see any video. Then when the video starts, it tries to move quickly to catch up, and it usually does, BUT, it always lags a second or two behind the video. I tried adjusting the audio offset without much success.

Do I not have enough processing power to view this streaming HD content? Is it my graphics card? I notice that CPU usage is at 100% with playOn server running in the background and XBMC open...
I have an Intel Celeron D Processor 335 (2.80GHz, 533MHz FSB, 256KB L2 cache) with an onboard Intel Extreme Graphics2
64MB shared video memory.

======-Potential Workaround-======

I am running eventghost in the background, with a firefly x10 remote. I am contemplating using eventghost to map some of the bottom remote buttons to launch my browser with HULU loaded etc. I just need to figure out if I can do a good enough job browsing HULU within the browser with the remote to make it functional. It's obviously not the best solution (since I'd have to leave the XBMC environment) but at this point, it may be a decent hack.
So it is premature to give up on PlayOn, but I got the Hulu Plugin to work perfectly with one of the newest builds from the SVN repository...It is very nice to have the flexibility to choose which stream you want from Hulu. Fingers crossed that this keeps working!

The playOn server does not give the flexibility to decide what quality stream to play. It forces you to view the highest quality version... and playOn seems to add an additional level of unecessary complexity with additional network streaming, and additional system resources.

Thanks to all the devs for fixing the rtmp stuff so that the hulu plugin will work!

Cheers.
spoontangclan,

I agree with the limitation that you mention, and it is unlikely that the XBMC developers will fine-tune that capability to adjust PlayOn. And unlikely that PlayOn will make it different for XBMC, as it is a non-supported platform.

As a work-around, I can adjust the media straem at the PlayOn server. I have found recently that "high" seems to work at all but the usual evening network congestion times. "Medium" seems to do it well at all times for me.

Loading the recent SVN could be the answer as well for MxChris.

MxChris - Can you play ANY source from a remote computer (like an ISO?)
zebraitis Wrote:...unlikely that PlayOn will make it different for XBMC, as it is a non-supported platform.
I suggest that if you are a paying PlayOn customer then nag on them to support XBMC as an UPnP client Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
zebraitis,

I tried adjusting the video quality settings in playOn, and it didn't seem to have much impact on the quality of the video in XBMC. The stream still looked like 480p and very laggy even on the "Medium" setting.

The Hulu plugin continues to work great except that it is a bit difficult to navigate through the content.
You know, sometimes expectations are exceeded.

I developed a problem yesterday. Netflix decided to stop playing. All the other PlayOn catagories were working.

I opened a troubleticket with PlayOn, and I expected the type of answer one usually receives: "You are unsupported! Now, go away, before I taunt you some more!"

Nope. Response was VERY fast, and had the resolution to the problem as well: A new test version.

( URL removed... new version released by PlayOn that supercedes )

So, here it is for others that may have a problem as well.

Enjoy!
Gamester17,

Good suggestion! You are right... We will not get it, unless we ask. Nod

For those 20,000 of you that have read this forum: If you want to get PlayOn to work on XBMC as an officially supported platform, I suggest that you pile-on to this request:

http://www.themediamall.com/node/831

Add your comments to that thread, and let them know that XBMC is a great platform!
All,

Quick update...

When discussing my settings (post #58), I recommended that...

Video Processing - Not selected

In fact this is INCORRECT.

Far better results are gained with Viedo Prossessing being selected (check box marked)

As a result, the streaming is very smooth from netflix.

As I have an XBMC on XBOX, this also allows some control to skip forward in an episode / film.

v.
zebraitis Wrote:spoontangclan,

I agree with the limitation that you mention, and it is unlikely that the XBMC developers will fine-tune that capability to adjust PlayOn. And unlikely that PlayOn will make it different for XBMC, as it is a non-supported platform.

As a work-around, I can adjust the media straem at the PlayOn server. I have found recently that "high" seems to work at all but the usual evening network congestion times. "Medium" seems to do it well at all times for me.

Loading the recent SVN could be the answer as well for MxChris.

MxChris - Can you play ANY source from a remote computer (like an ISO?)

I have the latest t3ch build. Yes all my other shares are still working like they always have. I've given up on Play On for now though unfortunately.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC3