• 6(current)
PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC
I am running the latest T3CH build, and can seem to get this "close" to working for Hulu. It comes through, but then either quits, or is erratic, etc.

I was wondering if I need to "dumb down" the Xbox to get more free memory, as it seems as if (though I have enough bandwidth , more than!) I am running low on memory or it cant handle th caching. The PC has 1gb

Other thought is...does the PC video card come into play, if I am using the Xbox? This PC has a pretty old video card, but I figured that won't matter, since I am just streaming to the Xbox.

EDIT: Forget it, I switched to Hulu plugin. Working like a champ! ...but hopefully I have more luck with this and Netflix! Haven't tried that yet.
Gamester17 Wrote:I suggest that if you are a paying PlayOn customer then nag on them to support XBMC as an UPnP client Wink

Maybe they have had this, but they just sent me a survey, and mentioned that they are close to release email. (39.99 for purchase, or 29.99 for Beta users) Here is the survey link:

http://www.themediamall.com/playonbetasurvey

They ask for things like (what do you want to see in new features?) A good opp for XBMC users to make their voice known.
I'm trying to view netflix on atv using PlayOn, the problem is a lot of buffering.

I may get 30sec of smooth playback followed by stuttering and thing buffering again.

PlayOn is on my Laptop running vista, connected wirelessly to my network, and the atv is connected via ethernet to the router.

Should I adjust cache settings? Anybody have netflix running well?

Thanks
Question 
PlayOn is a upnp software which lets you grab media from the net, pipe it through your pc, and play in xbmc.

There's a tutorial video of it working here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqGG9i_Mpgk

I had it working *once*, but it froze at some point to so restarted xbmc.

But now, when I click on "PlayOn (Vaio)" (link to upnp on my laptop), nothing comes up, no list, no entries.. (where it used to show "cnn, hulu, netflix) etc..

Anyone messed about with this?
I had this same problem. I think this is why Boxee did not offer Netflix for aTv during the last update. Netflix said there was a processor issue with the aTv.
ssh in a view the cpu usage using "top". if up at 80-90 percent for xbmc, you are saturated and need to drop the transcoded profile/bit-rate/size.
Nod No not a plugin or script. I found a app called PlayOn. It streams HULU and NetFlix to your PC then streams it to your xbox via UPnP. Works great.
You need a *free account* at HULU. And the PC has to be on the same network as the xbox. Netflix you have to subscribe to their service for streaming video.
Playon supports Apple trailers and a few others. It also enables you to stream video via MS MediaPlayer sharing. Although Playon is trialware. Its free for 14 days.

You need to enable UPnP client on the XBOX.
Holds tongue....
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ght=Playon
Nice finding this little software. Wish I had a 360 to make it work now. Hulu on the xbox would be a big lift in the television department. In fact, I'm going to hulu.com now after this posting cause they got classics. By the way, you shouldn't request that with playon, you should make that request in Voinages plugins. Since it already shows playlists and video files and sizes, it should be just a few lines of code to get it working. Look for Voinages forum and leave a post. Maybe he can help make it work.

iRoNBiLL
Does PlayOn have any HD content? (from Hulu, etc)
UPDATE: I tried the method described below, and it didn't do much for me.

I've been using playon on XBMC for Xbox for a while now, and noticed a really annoying bug. Regularly the video wouldn't start, or would conk out right in the middle of watching. I did some searching on the playon forum and found this.
Found here:http://www.themediamall.com/node/1261
Quote:XBMC to all of you xbmc people who have the starting to cache/demux/time out error message
This was Posted by drsedlis on Thu, 03/05/2009 - 17:26.
so your hulu hangs after you start to cache a video file and then you get something along the lines of aborted playback, too many dropped files or something like that.

the problem is in your xbox settings, specifically go to
Network Preferences

then

Event Server

go to "Continuous Repeat Delay (ms)" which is probably set at some unbelievably low number (mine was 25 ms). Crank this number up to something in the thousands (i have mine at 9825 or 9.825 seconds, which is probably way high, but hey)

Then go back and try to watch again.

I also found I had more success when i was watching in 480p (v. 720p)

I think the problem is that XBMC gets too impatient with the hulu connection and thinks the connection is dead (prematurely)

enjoy

I haven't tested this yet, but I will tonight, and edit this post if necessary.
mbstrlbstr Wrote:I've been using playon on XBMC for Xbox for a while now, and noticed a really annoying bug. Regularly the video wouldn't start, or would conk out right in the middle of watching. I did some searching on the playon forum and found this.
Found here:http://www.themediamall.com/node/1261

I haven't tested this yet, but I will tonight, and edit this post if necessary.

Tried that, didn't work worth crap for me. Same connection works fine on the XBOX360 - though you can tell the 360 is caching a ton more. I don't think the buffer logic is well suited to upnp.

xnappo
Hi, I got tihs up and running, but (sorry I haven't read through this entire thread) but everytime I try to play a hulu vid, I get the "too many consecutive errors" and no playback.

EDIT: I just tried it on my windows pc, and with no luck either. I can't play hulu vids through this, but I can play all the other PlayOn services (CNN, CBS, and so on)

EDIT: ok by increasing the cache to maximum and increasing the event servers continuous repeat delay, I got it to work on the xbox, but the video will only play for about 10-20 seconds, then revert to the menu. Any ideas?
I just set the consecutive repeat delay to 2500ms, and when I click on a Hulu video to play, I wait about 5 seconds then hit the button again. Seems to work ok.

I'm also running this on the same linux machine that XBMC is on by using VMware server, but I also got it to work by using a PC on the same network.
DDM123 Wrote:I just set the consecutive repeat delay to 2500ms, and when I click on a Hulu video to play, I wait about 5 seconds then hit the button again. Seems to work ok.

I'm also running this on the same linux machine that XBMC is on by using VMware server, but I also got it to work by using a PC on the same network.

So Hulu does work? What ap?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC3