• 8(current)
PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC
All,

I have already listed my results with Netflix.

The group seems interested in PlayOn with Hulu, so here are my results.

1) Went to Hulu, created a user name and password.

2) Went to my PlayOn server, and made sure to enter my user name and password for Hulu in the PlayOn server application.

3) Powered up the XBMC. made NO CHANGES to memory cache settings

4) Seleceted my PlayOn client

5) Selected Hulu. Lots of different menu choices... Nice!

6) Decided to watch a morally uplifting film, chose "Bad Girs From Mars".

7) Up pops the connection message, stating that my Cache is set for 256K and other assorted stuff.

... But the movie does not start.

... Hey! This has happened before in Netflix. I know...

8) I wait 20 seconds and select the same film again.

9) It starts to play.

So, after 15 minutes of trouble free playing, I check the info about the film.

Video is doing 30 frames per second, 5 dropped frames. Cache is at about 80%.

So, I don't understand what the problem is that most folks are having.

I decided to change flicks... selected "Cheech and Chongs Next Movie". Started playing right away.

I guess your results may vary.

V.

-------------------
My setup: Cool

Charter Cable, 10 MB down, 1.5 up
Wired Ethernet
Asus Maximus Formula MB, Intel quad processor, Vista64, 8GB RAM, 7 TB HDs
XBMC running T3CH April 2009 build
PlayOn set up to process the complete download.
Ah, NetFlix, i bumped onto it no so long ago. I thought, hey cool, here's a way to see Atlantis Season 5.
I tried to register, can't pass the capatcha. I finally learned that the reason behind this is my not being in the us. :mad:

Hulu at leat have the decency for writting that clearly. We see tv shows one year leater (and that's the best case senario), have overpriced dvd. And they goes Shocked when peaple downloads.
ok I tried it on medium and I still get the lag in audio. I'm thinking it has more to do with the xbox processing power then playon. I also noticed a lag with *.avi files on put on the HD of the xbox and played them. Does anyone else have this problem? do you know to fix it?
So . . . I increased my event server to something like 9000 or whatever, and now I've got a computer that runs playon and hardwired networked. I've also disabled a quirky adblocking script I had running on my router. Sometimes it blocked hulu sometimes not.
Now it works! Not only netflix, but hulu too. Last night my wife and I watched Family Guy and some other shows. I still have to click the show, wait for it to "cache" and fail, then wait 10 secs and click again. After that it pretty much runs perfectly.
Error: playback aborted to many consecutive failed items.

So I'm having the same problem as a lot of other people it seems but none of the fixes they use have worked for me. Using the latest xbmc build xbox hardwired to router computer connected via wireless using playon. I can watch NBC universal stuff all day but no luck with any playon stuff same for youtube and apple movie trailers. I'm fixing to sling my xbox through a window. Only have one week left on playon free trial so i would like to get it working so i can know whether or not to buy playon
Any help is much appreciated
Karnage Wrote:Error: playback aborted to many consecutive failed items.

So I'm having the same problem as a lot of other people it seems... Using the latest XBMC build Xbox hardwired to router computer connected via wireless using PlayOn... Any help is much appreciated

OK, so here is what I can offer for your consideration:

1) Bandwidth - I assume that you have a good broadband connection. You may wish to check your home server access speed at http://www.speedtest.net/ (...randomly tested, I have about 7-10 MB Download)

2) For testing purposes, is there a way that you can hardwire your server? To me, it looks like you are making a broadband router -> wireless -> server -> wireless -> router -> XBMC connection. Making your server hard wired for testing might be worthwhile. (and then check your speed again, see if that has an impact.)

3) Server capability - PlayOn is server intensive. Make sure that your not on an old pentium box. (sure that's not the case, but ya gotta rule it out). Mine is overkill (quad processor, 8 GB, Vista 64), but it works fine.

4) PlayOn System Check - does Network and PC Process or both show "MAX" ?

5) Check the other settings:

... General Settings:
......... Video Performance
...................[MAX]
......... Video Processing
...................[x] Always process entire video
......... PlayOn Media Server
...................[x] Always run server when PC Starts
...................[x] Always show icon in system tray

... User Accounts
......... (you created user acconts for Netflix and Hulu, right?)

... Plugins
......... (I have none)

... Registration
......... (not so important to you, yet.)

5) XBMC - not too much there... You have already added the UPNP client... And I have this running with only the "normal" 256K as my buffer.

You may wish to check your overall memory available on your XBMC, making sure not to run unnecessary screen resolution formats, and maybe even bump down to a smaller memory use skin for testing.

Good luck!

v.

ps... Oh yeah... when you select something to play, and it buffers, give it about 10-20 seconds before attempting to select that item again. Worse yet, don't select an alternate item to play after failing once.

If you try too quick, or try to play different options in rapid attempt, then for sure you will get the "Error: playback aborted to many consecutive failed items." message.

Once you get that message, you may as well reboot your XBMC, as the memory is toast (as far as it relates to PlayOn)

Patience is necessary when testing. Nod

... and THEN throw it out the window.
Karnage Wrote:Error: playback aborted to many consecutive failed items.

I had that problem with wireless(g) too. Once I switch to MoCA:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...=actiontec

I no longer have that problem. I *do* sometimes have to click the file more than once to get it to start though (will send a debug log for this one of these days).

Note that PlayOn worked fine on my XBOX360 with wireless...

xnappo
PLayon +XBoX w/XBMC = Hulu & NetFilX
Smile
yabel Wrote:PLayon +XBoX w/XBMC = Hulu & NetFilX
Smile
Playon is running a special right now, $19.99 instead of $39.99.
Here is info
We want you to start off Summer right - so we are offering you PlayOn for only $19.99 (yup - that's $20 off). But, this offer is for a very limited time - until June 31, 2009, and is only being offered to our existing trial users.

Feeling special?

If this unique offer makes you feel special -- good! You are.

So how do I do it? -- Click on buy and enter Coupon Code PLAYON1999. This coupon is valid from now until June 31, 2009 at 11:59pm EST.

http://www.themediamall.com/playon
Oh well it cost me $40 its worth it.
I know this is a dumb question but this is the last day to get this on sale & I'd love to have it if I could get it to work.

Do you have to have an X Box to download the XBMC & use PlayOn?

Thanks!
yabel Wrote:But, this offer is for a very limited time - until June 31, 2009

How'd they work that little bit of temporal manipulation. I want an extra day in June too!
hope7 Wrote:I know this is a dumb question but this is the last day to get this on sale & I'd love to have it if I could get it to work.

Do you have to have an X Box to download the XBMC & use PlayOn?

Thanks!
Yes, it is. You need to already be a trial member, so 1st sign up for the trial, then you can order at discounted price.
I jacked my Continuous Repeat Delay in Event Server way up, but for whatever reason, movies longer than a certain length never start up on Netflix. One thing I noticed is that the "caching" message only stays up for a very short time before it goes to "demux_open"

The "wait 20 seconds and then try again" trick seems to work for Hulu movies.

I'm using an XBOX with a Buffalo ethernet to wireless bridge that has served me well for all my local content and other streaming needs. Anyone have any tips?
sti3 Wrote:I jacked my Continuous Repeat Delay in Event Server way up, but for whatever reason, movies longer than a certain length never start up on Netflix. One thing I noticed is that the "caching" message only stays up for a very short time before it goes to "demux_open"

The "wait 20 seconds and then try again" trick seems to work for Hulu movies.

I'm using an XBOX with a Buffalo ethernet to wireless bridge that has served me well for all my local content and other streaming needs. Anyone have any tips?

I did the Event server to 9999 I think and it seems to work well. I have too seen it where it cache and then drops but if I click it again it loads up. Hulu seems close to perfect most the time but netflix does have lag issues sometimes. I did notice that Starz movies seem to have less lag but I havent done deep testing on that to make sure its not a fluke. My Xbox is hooked up to a normal post on the router. I do have a switch that I have kids pcs hooked up to because i found issues (xbox finding network) if I dont use a normal port for the xbox.
Im all wired so not sure if your wireless might be a issue. I would think it might.
I did increase some of the settings in Cache but I found when I turn it too high it takes a very long time to load and locks up the xbox. I think its due to all teh Ram being used up.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PlayOn UPnP MediaServer for Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, and Amazon VOD playback in XBMC3