A few questions about music videos
Hi,

I have been using xbmc for about a week now, and I must say it is absolutely awesome!

I just have a few questions about music videos that I haven't been able to find answers for anywhere.

I have a fairly large collection of music/concert dvd's that I have coverted to mp4/h.264 for playing on my ipod. Each song is a seperate file.They play very nicely in xbmc also. My problem is getting them scanned into the library in a useful way. I would really like the library to handle them just like it does music files ie artist/album/track with the correct track order. So far I have been able to use nfo files as below:
Code:
<musicvideo>
        <title>Bestsongintheworld</title>
        <artist>Bestartistintheworld</artist>
        <album>Me</album>
        <genre>Pop</genre>
        <runtime>3:20</runtime>
        <plot>Scantly clad women hoing about</plot>
        <year>2000</year>
        <director>and I</director>
        <studio>Ego prod.</studio>
</musicvideo>

This goes a long way towards achieving what I want, but there seems to be no track number field, which means that the tracks will not be able to be played in correct order.

Also when viewed in the library, there doesn't seem to be any option to view/play albums even though there is a corresponding field in the nfo file. I have several hundred tracks by one artist, so viewing just by artist isn't very usefull.

I can only get the videos to play one at a time. Is there any way to make them play consecutively from the one album?

Is there any way to get album art to show on the files? Fanart in the background would be great too if possible. Can fanart be done with normal music also, say for artists?

Lastly, I already have put all this info in the file tags using iTunes. Is there anyway to scan it directly from the file tags as is done with music?

Many thanks for any help
Phil
Anyone?
Best for ordering I guess would be looking at smart playlists.
Alternatively you could put track names in front of title.
<title>1. Bestsongintheworld</title>

Tag reading would require code changes, I would not hold my breath although you can always make a feature request on trac (or comment on an existing one if there is one already for it).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Do NOT bump a post that is still on the front page, and especially one that has been live for <24hrs. Impatience is a damn good way to get completely ignored.

EDIT: Whoops, probably shouldn't put on my moderator hat 'til I'm fully awake. Just checked the time not date...sorry.
I did not see it the first time around Wink
(I only look for new posts, never browse, then it's easy to miss some)

Thinking about it, smart playlists are probably not of any help in this case.
I guess regular M3U or PLS playlists will have to do.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Try adding .mp4 to the music extensions and just treat them as music. Not sure how it'll work, but it's worth a crack (I'm assuming their mp4 files).

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll be putting in some feature requests...

jmarshall Wrote:Try adding .mp4 to the music extensions and just treat them as music. Not sure how it'll work, but it's worth a crack (I'm assuming their mp4 files).

So, are you saying add the mp4 extension as <musicextensions> in the advancedsettings.xml then add the files to the music library?

Cheers
Phil
Indeed - I'm assuming they're mp4 files. If so, add it to <musicextensions> and see for a start whether the tags are read in file mode. I think you'll find they probably are.

Then see whether it plays them (the next check). I suspect it may have issues, but don't know for sure.

Lastly, assuming the above works (which will be unlikely) add 'em to the library.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Yep, they're mp4's. I'll give it a go.

Thanks
Phil

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A few questions about music videos0