Hardy installation help... Super Newbie
sorry, I forgot apt requires the install keyword to do fix-broken
Code:
sudo apt-get --fix-broken install
return null;
sorry about the long "paste" post. I will make sure to follow rules from now on. I was wondering if anyone had like the "primo" instructions to follow that I could make sure to trace step by step so everyone can tell me exactly where I'm messing up?
I'm by no means an expert, but here are a couple of things to try...

Maybe you could do "sudo apt-get remove xbmc*" and start from scratch? Then open up synaptic package manager and search for xbmc. Check xbmc-common, any of the skins you want, etc and allow it to include whatever dependencies it needs.

Maybe you could post your sources.list on here as well (using pastebin of course) and make sure there isn't anything funky going on. It sounds like you have been using the GUI to add sources to the list, but we want to see the actual text file. To do that just type "sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list", and it will open up a file that you can copy and paste here.
I agree... remove what you installed before using the sudo apt-get remove xbmc*. Then ensure that you have added the SVN deb src files to your Software Sources, then install XBMC using sudo apt-get install xbmc. That should work... my recommendation is to use the SVN repo, and not the PPA. SVN is the latest and greatest, and resolved the DVD playback issues.
samjaynes Wrote:That should work... my recommendation is to use the SVN repo, and not the PPA. SVN is the latest and greatest, and resolved the DVD playback issues.

We aren't building the SVN repo during the feature freeze for XBMC 8.10 "Atlantis". This is to encourage use of our alpha/beta/rc releases. BTW we NEVER recommend anyone use the SVN repo if they want a stable system, only on the occasion that a bug affecting them has been fixed.
samjaynes Wrote:Then ensure that you have added the SVN deb src files to your Software Sources

How exactly would I check this?
bb2g40 Wrote:How exactly would I check this?

As allthekiller said, don't worry about that. Just make sure you have the following two lines in your sources.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-hardy/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-hardy/ubuntu hardy main

Which it sounds like you do ...
I do have those two lines in my sources.list... so where do I go from here? I am really frustrated but am still super excited at the prospect of having xbmc on my computer...
Can anyone just simply point me to step by step instructions? Is that somewhere that I haven't found?
bb2g40 Wrote:Can anyone just simply point me to step by step instructions? Is that somewhere that I haven't found?

There may be, but I doubt it. The steps are too simple to warrant a detailed walkthrough. If there was, this is all it would say:
1. Add the two lines to you sources.list
2. Run sudo apt-get install xbmc

Did you try any of these other recommendations?

mylo Wrote:ok, just wanted to make sure it was ok.

it says:
Code:
xbmc-common: Depends: libfaac0 but it is not installable

what do you get if you run:

sudo apt-get install libfaac0

matchsmalone Wrote:I'm by no means an expert, but here are a couple of things to try...

Maybe you could do "sudo apt-get remove xbmc*" and start from scratch? Then open up synaptic package manager and search for xbmc. Check xbmc-common, any of the skins you want, etc and allow it to include whatever dependencies it needs.

Maybe you could post your sources.list on here as well (using pastebin of course) and make sure there isn't anything funky going on. It sounds like you have been using the GUI to add sources to the list, but we want to see the actual text file. To do that just type "sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list", and it will open up a file that you can copy and paste here.

For those of us trying to help you, it makes it easier if we can know what you've tried, and what the results were.
I've tried both, and neither worked. I'm at work right now, so I cannot reproduce the results, but will paste links to the terminal reply when I get home.
I believe I am adding the lines correctly and then performing the following:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

however I continue to get the same errors with the same three files. I am simply at a loss. Could it be my Hardy install?
Go to
"System -> Administration -> Software Sources" and make sure that all the repositorys are checked. You might be missing the multiverse repository.
yes, both the "Hardy Main" and the "Sources" are checked.
tholme Wrote:Go to
"System -> Administration -> Software Sources" and make sure that all the repositorys are checked. You might be missing the multiverse repository.

Thank You SO MUCH!!!! It was the "multiverse" repository!!!!
Glad you got it figured out.

In the future, if you listen when people ask for more information (like when two of us asked you to post your sources.list) things can be solved much more quickly.

In any case, I'm glad it eventually worked out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardy installation help... Super Newbie0