Cheap htpc setup: sanity check please
Question 
Hi,

I'm putting together a machine on a tight budget and would appreciate anyone having a quick look at the following rig to make sure I'm on the right track.

I'm not interested in TV capture or doing much else on the setup other than watching the odd video file or DVD, and listening to music, so I hope the following will be OK for:

a) running Ubuntu Hardy
b) viewing 720p .mkv (and other), files on a Sony Bravia 37" screen:

I already have a disk and DVD drive I plan to shove in.

Thanks for any opinions - I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to hardware so I might have made some obvious mistakes Oo

G
Looks fine to me - easily enough to cope with what you need it to.
i would stay clear from amd...

get intel instead.. no i'm not an intel fanboy if anything i'm a amd fanboy...

look at the topic where i posted all the motherboards, choose one of those and..
E2200 and overclock it a bit...

althrough your setup should work.. not many people have AMD systems...
AMD do seem quite out of favour at the moment, it has to be said. That said, I can vouch for smooth running on an AMD CPU.
since you're only looking to do 720p and you're not interested in getting every last bit of performance out of the machine (ie, no gaming), I think you'll do fine with whatever processor (amd, intel, via even). You could probably even get a cheaper amd and be fine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I can vouch for smooth on AMD as well. 5000+ here and plays 720p fine and even some 1080p fine as well (though not all).

The title of that board is a little misleading. LG775 is an Intel socket, AM2 is an AMD Socket. Though looking in the specs it's actually an AM2 socket board.
return null;

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheap htpc setup: sanity check please0