Harddrive failure,best way to find the files that were on it?
2tb harddrive has failed in my sources,so there is now no access to the files on the drive
those files would be in the kodi library tho
what is the best way to find what files are now missing?
Create a smart playlist with the 'path' = G: rule. while G: is the drive letter of the now defunct drive. Drive firmly dead, or just corrupt? If it's a spin issue, then the long cords and a twist of the wrist have brought life to some. There's a ton of recovery software for trial.
(2021-07-13, 19:11)2nzy2 Wrote: what is the best way to find what files are now missing?

From the library side of things, a couple of SQL commands should give you a listing of what is stored on a drive.
Have you ever done any SQL handywork on databases?
Hi
the drive just doesnt get picked up by anything  :/
as for sql,no I havnt,but I can look into that
Creating a playlist is one way.  But then you have to write down all of the titles.

Using DB Browser for SQLite is the best way.  Search for, download, and install it.  You do not say what operating system you are using, what Kodi version, or if the bad drive was the only drive.  I am not a power user of DB Browser.  There are probably many people on this forum that could give you a lot of different ways to do this.  But, for me, this is simple.  So here goes for Windows.

1.  After installing DB Browser for SQLite, go to your user directory (%user%\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\Database) and copy, let me make this perfectly clear, COPY the MyVideos###.db file to a sub-directory where you can work on it.  The ### depends on what version of Kodi you are running.

2.  Start DB Browser.  Click on Open Database, navigate to where you put the copy of MyVideos###.db and select it.  It will open to the database structure.  Ignore this.

3.  Click on the Browse Data tab.  You will most likely be taken to the Actor table.

4.  On the line below the Browse Data tab, you should see Table:  actor.  Click on the field where actor is (there is also a down arrow there).  This will present a list of all tables.  You want to select the Movie table.

5.  Now, what you want to do is export this table into a CSV file so you can open it in your preferred spreadsheet program.  Click on File, Export, Table(s) as CSV File in the main menu.  It will show you that you have selected the Movie table to save as a CSV file.  Click on the Save button.  You can now save this table to the sub-directory of your choice.

6.  Exit DB Browser and start your spreadsheet program.  Do a file open and whatever your program has you do to find and open a CSV file.  Open the movie.csv file (assuming you did not give it a different name).

7.  Once open, the only column titles you need are C00 and C22 (row 1 in your spreadsheet).  So, hide or delete all of the others.  Column C00 is the film title.  Column C22 is the path.  You did not mention if this was the only drive in your Kodi library.  If it was not, then you need to sort on column C22.  Then select only those rows that match your bad drive.  Set column widths as necessary, page orientation to landscape, and either fit to page or change font size so it fits on your paper.  Now you can print out a listing of your lost movies.

If you have more than one drive, you might want to save the spreadsheet with all rows so you know what movie is where.

You have now learned, as all of us have at some point, you need to have backups and listings.  I would say that backup hard drives are relatively inexpensive, but that depends on your financial situation.  But having backup hard drives will save you a lot of time if a drive ever goes bad--and sooner or later one always does.  Exactly how you created your movie files and how long it took depends on what programs you used and whether you created from DVDs, Blu-rays, 4K, or whatever.  The time for recreating a 2TB hard drive could be substantial.

Keeping a listing of what is on each hard drive is important, as you have just learned.  I maintain a spreadsheet with titles, purchase dates, costs, hard drive location, and storage box (this is actually for insurance purposes).  The problem with my spreadsheet is I have many collection disks that can have 50 or more movie titles.  So, once I start filling a hard drive, I do a directory to text file of the movie sub-directories (DIR J:\*. /S /ON > MOVIES16.TXT) and import that list into a Word document, keeping only the movie names and location (I don't really need the file size, date, etc.).

I have over 4,000 movies and over 200 TV shows.  This is a lot for some people, and a little for others.  But knowing what I have and where is important if I ever need to rebuild.  Hopefully, a backup drive never fails at the same time as a primary drive.  It is also wise to backup the backup drive as soon as possible if the primary drive fails.  You see how this goes.  Backups are important.  And that does not just apply to movie files.

Hope this helps.
(2021-07-15, 03:17)[email protected] Wrote: You have now learned, as all of us have at some point, you need to have backups and listings.
Keeping a listing of what is on each hard drive is important, as you have just learned.

Were you a schoolteacher in a previous lifetime? Just wondering.
(2021-07-15, 05:29)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-07-15, 03:17)[email protected] Wrote: You have now learned, as all of us have at some point, you need to have backups and listings.
Keeping a listing of what is on each hard drive is important, as you have just learned.

No.  I was responsible for installing and maintaining computers in an accounting office way back in the early 1990s when MS-DOS was the standard and Windows 3.1 was frowned upon.
I've been using a 'very old' version of "Directory Printer" >to file; on each drive, makes fast work of Kodi folders.
(2021-07-15, 05:29)Klojum Wrote:

I work in IT and having a contingency for data loss is essential, it will save you time, effort and heartbreak in the future. I now have 2 servers one a mirror of the other, each is 200TB plus I use the cloud.
What software do you guys recommend to create backups? I've been using foldermatch but maybe there is a better option
(2022-03-08, 06:51)Edworld Wrote: What software do you guys recommend to create backups?

What is there to backup? And how often does it need to be backup'd?
You can make things as complicated as you want with automation.
Using the OS's File Manager and doing a manual copy of folders/files to a USB drive is also a backup.
(2022-03-08, 12:08)Klojum Wrote:
(2022-03-08, 06:51)Edworld Wrote: What software do you guys recommend to create backups?

What is there to backup? And how often does it need to be backup'd?
You can make things as complicated as you want with automation.
Using the OS's File Manager and doing a manual copy of folders/files to a USB drive is also a backup.
I create backups of all my hard drives that have movies, artwork and nfos.
(2022-03-08, 16:25)Edworld Wrote: I create backups of all my hard drives that have movies, artwork and nfos.

Have some reading material here: https://www.goodfirms.co/blog/best-free-...p-software

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Harddrive failure,best way to find the files that were on it?0