XBMC crashing/shutting down before starting
I don't know if this is useful or not but this is what it says when I run xbmc after typing ulimit -c unlimited:

X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 146 (NV-GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 5 ()
Serial number of failed request: 35
Current serial number in output stream: 36
CRITSEC[0x8bb80c4]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x8bb80c4]: Trying to leave destroyed section.
Locking assertion failure. Backtrace:
#0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xb6364767]
#1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_lock+0x2e) [0xb636481e]
#2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 [0xb7323518]
#3 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 [0xb76d47d5]

What's frustrating is that I know the program works because it used to run. And suddenly it stopped working. I can't imagine what I could have done to mess it up.
Did you recently change your Video card driver ?
Can you check if you have a file in /var/crash and past the name here ?
then remove that eventual file (normally you need not to be root to do so) and relaunch xbmc. If it crashes, look again in /var/crash if you have a file there.
If yes, wait till a popup shows up stating that 'XBMC Media center crashed'. you can check that the file is growing while waiting for that popup (on my computer it can grow up till 26MB) .
Then follow the instruction.
If the popup doesn't show up, try again this command :
/usr/share/apport/apport-gtk -c /var/crash/<name_of_the_file>
If you don't have any file there, it means that it might not be a SEGFAULT.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Want a clean no-ads paste bin? http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/
This doesn't look like a core dump. It's not dumping core at all, it just looks like a X11/GLX error. Usually every time it crashes it gives some X11 error. Sometimes I get "X Error of failed request: GLXBadDrawable", sometimes I get "X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)".

I've tracked the error down to being caused by setting the screen resolution to full screen.

If I delete the file ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml and run `xbmc`, it will work. But, if I change the gui settings to full screen, it will crash the next time I try to run `xbmc`.

If I delete ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml, and restart xbmc, it makes a default guisettings.xml file. I made a diff of the default guisettings.xml and the new guisettings.xml after changing the screen resolution.

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/41068/

Do you need any other info? I can't give you a core dump or backtrace because it doesn't dump core, it just fails with an X11 error. What else should I do?

Thanks! Smile
I didn't recently change my graphics drivers. Also one weird thing going on is when I do get XBMC to work, when I highlight over the settings, the clocks speed on the CPU says something different. Sometimes it'll say 2200MHz (correct), other times it'll say 1800 and occasionally it'll say 1000. What could be causing this?
Ice Blue Wrote:I didn't recently change my graphics drivers. Also one weird thing going on is when I do get XBMC to work, when I highlight over the settings, the clocks speed on the CPU says something different. Sometimes it'll say 2200MHz (correct), other times it'll say 1800 and occasionally it'll say 1000. What could be causing this?

CPU scaling...

Please pastebin the out put of running "glxinfo" in a terminal. XBMC seems to die just before we dump the pertinent data to the log.
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/41257/

Here it is.
I updated to 8.10a4-hardy3 and I'm still having this problem.
Sounds kinda like your gfx card is on the fritz/dying. Do you have another you could test with? If not, try reseating it in its slot, reseat your RAM while you're in there. You shouldn't be getting an OOM condition at any resolution <= 1080p with that card.
I don't think my video card is dying. I can run TF2 fine on Windows. I'll try those, though.
Hi I get the same problem, and it was also after i set the screen resolution to full screen mode using the gui and/or using "xbmc -f". It will either hang and i have to reboot ubuntu, or not load at all and output the following.

adi@adi-ubuntu:~$ xbmc
X Error of failed request: GLXBadDrawable
Major opcode of failed request: 128 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 27
Current serial number in output stream: 27
CRITSEC[0x8bb80c4]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x8bb80c4]: Trying to leave destroyed section.
Locking assertion failure. Backtrace:
#0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xb61d0767]
#1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_lock+0x2e) [0xb61d081e]
#2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 [0xb73ba518]
#3 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6(XESetCloseDisplay+0x31) [0xb739d8d1]
#4 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 [0xb77407c9]

The method of deleting guisettings.xml seems to work. Without setting full screen mode and just maximising the screen, xbmc works without issue.

My system info is:
Hardy 8.04.1
NVIDIA GF6600 - driver 173.14.12
intel P4 x86

I will have a go at the core dumps and further info you may require. Let me know what else you may require.
I have done some further playing/investigation - i believe the problem may lie with ubuntu and advanced desktop effects and compiz. Found in this thread - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...creen+mode

Ice blue do you have advanced desktop features enabled and/or "unredirect fullsreen windows" checked in compiz settings manager.

After checking "normal" in system>preferences>appearence and unchecking "unredirect fullsreen windows" in general tab - system>preferences>advanced desktop effects settings, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem again yet.

I will keep you informed if i can - it will be interesting to see if you have those things checked/unchecked etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashing/shutting down before starting0