Use of FanArt (and NFO files) in file-mode?
Question 
The title should be self explanatory.
Maybe adding skin settings options like:

use fanart backdrop in File Mode

use movie information in File Mode (i.e. nfo file)

in simpler terms, how to use fanart backdrops (and Movie Information) without Library Mode.

Thanks
I can kind of understand fanart in files mode. It could definately be useful for some situations. For instance I have a lot of kids shows that don't scrape from thetvdb.com very well, so it'd be cool if I could still get fanart for their folders.

But why in world would you want to use .nfo files outside of Library mode? once you have the .nfo... there's nothing else to be done but scan it. I don't get it.

Could you explain WHY you want this? I can only guess what you want is something just like Library mode, but instead of a database do everything on the fly. Which would be ridiculously slow...
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
One use for NFO's outside a library (or at least a use im hoping to place into my currently developing skin) is for things like programs, maybe dependant on how you get on with this, I could establish FanArt into programs too
NickyZero - Currently making LCARS for XBMC
All info can be found here and here

I am well aware that my grammer is poor, instead of flaming about it, help me with it... "Help me, to help you!"
I would agree with this also. I have patched all forms of media to use fanart that was very easy but was unable to get nfo going as it gets alot further into the code.
Ok so I have to ask if you want fanart and media info in file mode why not just use library mode ? because if your going to go through all the effort of making them for every single TV show and movie you have Why not just use library ?

Do you really hate the concept so much yet are trying to bring the exact same thing into file mode ?
rwparris2 Wrote:I can kind of understand fanart in files mode. It could definately be useful for some situations. For instance I have a lot of kids shows that don't scrape from thetvdb.com very well, so it'd be cool if I could still get fanart for their folders....

If your going to go through the effort of making and doing it for yourself why not just upload it to thetvdb.com so everyone can use it ? I'm pretty sure all users can create new programs and add episodes to them as well as all other graphics
Jezz_X Wrote:I'm pretty sure all users can create new programs and add episodes to them as well as all other graphics

Correct, users can do these things. The only reason some series (especially kids ones) are hard to scrape is because of the weird ordering in certain cases. We're working hard to get things ordered correctly in all cases, though. So, if you think the order is wrong, just post on our forums and talk it over with us.
Jezz_X Wrote:Ok so I have to ask if you want fanart and media info in file mode why not just use library mode ? because if your going to go through all the effort of making them for every single TV show and movie you have Why not just use library ?

There are many reasons to not use library mode.

Jezz_X Wrote:Ok Do you really hate the concept so much yet are trying to bring the exact same thing into file mode ?

Is not that I hate it, simply it does not work for me in any meaningful way. The metadata and eyecandy are very nice though, so having them in file mode would be very interesting. It would be like library mode but restricted to a moderate number of homogeneous movies, just as library mode seem designed to.
pko66 Wrote:There are many reasons to not use library mode.

I think the whole referenced thread has evolved in the realm of development.

In a nutshell, here is a resume of the discussion and my suggestion:

-check for the presence of a movie.nfo file (like it currently checks for the presence of a movie-fanart. file)

-load a movie.nfo xml file if it exists using probably existing xml load functions (CheckForNFOFile() or GetnfoFile()...)

- assign the obtained xml_values to ListItem.property(xml_token) accordingly in the file (like <genre>Action / Adventure</genre> would become
ListItem.property(nfo_genre) -> "Action / Adventure")

The idea is to get the same kind of functionality than for ListItem.property(fanart_image), but for Movie Information (IN FILE MODE)...

This could/should be limited to imdb like xml fields (title, year, ratings, genre, plot, etc...) - like the ones typical of the MovieInformation screen but for support in through ListItem.

Here is the screenshot of what I am trying to achieve in it in FILE MODE.
This is an actual screenshot of the modified xTV skin (the Genre, Runtime and Plot are all just labels, the rest is actual ListItem properties; Title and fanart) - I have moved things around and rescaled them to make it look better.

Here is the full thread if you interested.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36372

Thanks !
Jezz_X Wrote:If your going to go through the effort of making and doing it for yourself why not just upload it to thetvdb.com so everyone can use it ? I'm pretty sure all users can create new programs and add episodes to them as well as all other graphics

You've misunderstood me, I only said they don't scan into the library well, but I'd like to use whatever fanart that may exist anyway. I'm not making anything, but if I were I would most certainly upload it to thetvdb & others.

szsori Wrote:The only reason some series (especially kids ones) are hard to scrape is because of the weird ordering in certain cases. We're working hard to get things ordered correctly in all cases, though. So, if you think the order is wrong, just post on our forums and talk it over with us.

The real problem with my kid's collection is that the series are often not named well when I get them from torrents, and I'm not going to go through and rename them when I don't especially want them in my main library anyways.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rwparris2 Wrote:The real problem with my kid's collection is that the series are often not named well when I get them from torrents, and I'm not going to go through and rename them when I don't especially want them in my main library anyways.

I got around this by just having two profiles. One for me which uses the Library mode for all my movies. The other profile for the kids which uses Files mode and goes straight to their video folder. They could care less about fanart....
Jezz_X Wrote:Ok so I have to ask if you want fanart and media info in file mode why not just use library mode ? because if your going to go through all the effort of making them for every single TV show and movie you have Why not just use library ?

Just a quick note. I have used Media Companion from my PC to download a complete .nfo file as well as all available fanart backdrops for all my movies collection. It also allowed me to correct some of the mismatched imdb info very easily. If there were a way for skin to support this info in File Mode (as I requested), I bet a lots of people would use it.

Also, doing it from the xbox takes forever ! With the PC version, I was able to get all 500+ done in a few hours, unattended. In addition, downloading the fanart is manual.

With my MyVideo.xml modif, the fanart image loads instantly so I am sure loading a little 4k nfo file won't take more. I am ready to bet that it also takes much less memory than the library mode.

joebrady Wrote:I got around this by just having two profiles. One for me which uses the Library mode for all my movies. The other profile for the kids which uses Files mode and goes straight to their video folder. They could care less about fanart....

The most important point against using the library mode is that it does not constitute a good navigation scheme among my 500+ movies, mostly because the imdb genre is too redundant to get a clean organization of the movies like the folder one (because of the overlap of many genres for a single movie). So using profile is just a work around for kids to navigate, but doesn't solve my issue (I am still a big user of my xbox)

I (and my kids too) really love that new fanart backdrop in FILE mode (see screenshot below). Having the movie info along would be icing on the cake.

I am sure it would definitly open up a new round of possibility for skin makers to get access to nfo movie info.
NickyZero Wrote:One use for NFO's outside a library (or at least a use im hoping to place into my currently developing skin) is for things like programs, maybe dependant on how you get on with this, I could establish FanArt into programs too

Now I understand the reply's after my post... By "Programs" I should have used the word "Applications"

Sorry people, didn't realize until just now
NickyZero - Currently making LCARS for XBMC
All info can be found here and here

I am well aware that my grammer is poor, instead of flaming about it, help me with it... "Help me, to help you!"
Kris_Toff Wrote:The most important point against using the library mode is that it does not constitute a good navigation scheme among my 500+ movies, mostly because the imdb genre is too redundant to get a clean organization of the movies like the folder one (because of the overlap of many genres for a single movie). So using profile is just a work around for kids to navigate, but doesn't solve my issue (I am still a big user of my xbox)

I (and my kids too) really love that new fanart backdrop in FILE mode (see screenshot below). Having the movie info along would be icing on the cake.

Just want to say, yes, the profile thing is a work around, and I just recently (last few months) have started doing this. Also, just recently, I've finally started using the Library mode (for the fanart) as opposed to the Files mode, which I have always prefered. So I am very much in support of this effort.
boy, sure wish I could edit that quote.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use of FanArt (and NFO files) in file-mode?0