Google TV - Can't install Kodi (Google Play Store)
Hello
I have Kodi Server installed on my Windows 11 computer and it seems to work perfectly.
Now, I want to access it through Kodi on my new Google TV dongle, so I look for the Kodi app, then click "Install", the Google TV downloads the app and tries to install it, then I get an error "Can't install the app, try again or blablabla". I tried several times, same result each time.

What is wrong here?? I'd really like to install it!!

Thanks
Ok, I may not have been too clear... I understand Kodi is not a server, but if I do understand correctly, Kodi on my Google TV would allow me to open files either on the USB stick connected through a hub on my Google TV, or better, access networked files on my main computer, is that right?
Oups, can't edit your own posts?

So it all comes down to my first and original problem: why do I receive an error when I try to install Kodi on Google TV dongle?
Where are you getting the install file from, and how are you downloading it (using what method and/or app)? Is it coming from the Play Store or some other source?

Have you enabled the dongle to allow 3rd party downloads, if it's not coming from the Play Store?

What is the exact detail of the error you are getting (without blah blah, specific details)?

And you're a newbie account, so edit privs are not enabled yet. It's a generic anti-spam measure here (we get too many drive-by spambots who post innocent vanilla messages and then try to come back later and drop their payloads via editing). After sufficient time and posts they will automagically be granted.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-11-15, 15:28)DarrenHill Wrote: Where are you getting the install file from, and how are you downloading it (using what method and/or app)? Is it coming from the Play Store or some other source?

Have you enabled the dongle to allow 3rd party downloads, if it's not coming from the Play Store?

What is the exact detail of the error you are getting (without blah blah, specific details)?

And you're a newbie account, so edit privs are not enabled yet. It's a generic anti-spam measure here (we get too many drive-by spambots who post innocent vanilla messages and then try to come back later and drop their payloads via editing). After sufficient time and posts they will automagically be granted.
Thanks for the information.

I was finally able to install it using a download instead.

I am now at the point where I need to add a video library on my network. I think I'll be ok with that, but if you have any pointer on how to do just that, please do share! I tried very quick (lack of time - have to work!) to add an SMB folder but it didn't show my shared folders from my Windows computer, like VLC does for example. Looks like I will have to add it manually.

Thanks
Well... after FINALLY being able to access my SMB share, BIG BIG disappointment. I get lots of choppy videos and sometimes "Source too slow" on all my x265 files. Another solution not working properly?
Best place for that kind of information (and indeed general questions) is the wiki.

Start with this one - HOW-TO:Create Video Library (wiki) and take it from there. Some other useful wiki links are in my signature below.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-11-15, 18:21)DarrenHill Wrote: Best place for that kind of information (and indeed general questions) is the wiki.

Start with this one - HOW-TO:Create Video Library (wiki) and take it from there. Some other useful wiki links are in my signature below.
Thanks Darren, I was able to create my library.

However, I think the Chromecast with Google TV is still not powerful enough to decode full blown x265 files. Again, I'm on a wired network, so delivery speed should not be a problem here, just the decoding of the image (I'm using passthrough for the audio).
There I can't comment, as I don't have one. But I wouldn't be surprised...

Kodi Blog Posts
I read somewhere else that it COULD be related to the fact that currently, I'm connected to my 1080p projector. Seems like when connected to a true 4K output device, then the CCwGTV (through Kodi or Plex or whatever) has no problem decoding it... Anybody can confirm this?

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google TV - Can't install Kodi (Google Play Store)0