HOW-TO stream video from VLC (VideoLAN-Client) PC
Better Video Settings 1:1

Given a fast enough computer, could you also transcode HD content in to a less cpu intensive format? (mpeg2 or something of the sort)

I've been experimenting with it and can't find the right options to do so...
We're intending to use XBMC installed on Xboxes to use the Xboxes as video over LAN set top boxes for CCTV at a convention but XBMC seems to have a few bugs when it comes to working with VLC (Or streaming in general, I dunno).

These problems I only experiance when using XBMC as the client, not when transmitting from VLC to VLC between computers.

The process I have working involves simply broadcasting MPEG-2/DD-AC3 by UDP over the network. This infact works very well and by using UDP, XBMC seems to handle breaks in the video steam with much less difficulty and no stalling and requiring a reboot. MPEG-2/DD-AC3 works well under HTTP as well, but I find it kicks back up from network failures and stopped and restarted servers a lot better when it's just blindly looking at a port and waiting for packets.

The issue seems to come when I try to use a video format OTHER than MPEG-2. When using UDP your container options are limited to only MPEG TS, but I've tried other containers with similar results or poor results.

Using MPEG-4 instead of MPEG-2, XBMC seems to become confused and for some reason assumes the framerate of the incoming stream is not 24fps but instead 12fps or 8fps, resulting in the video being played back slower than it should and it eventually gets confused with what's in the buffer, rebuffers and this cycles.

In cases where I tell VLC to NOT transcode the video from an MPEG-4 source and instead re-stream it, it instead assumes the frame rate is 29.98 FPS when the source is 24fps and it quietly sits there letting the video get ahead of the audio, then behind, then ahead... And so on. It's trying to resynch but it's got the wrong frame rate data.

This could be a problem in VLC itself and not part of Xbox Media Center, I dunno. It's just that this isn't a problem I've seen reported on the VLC forums so I'm hoping something here can guide me towards getting to MPEG-4.

Now, Mpeg-2 would normally be good enough, but this streaming video network is infact running over Wireless G, between WRT54GL routers running DD-WRT, so the available network bandwidth is like 25mbps total if we use Afterburner on all the routers. MPEG-4 is a fair bit more efficent per bit than MPEG-2 and I'm trying to cut down the necessary bandwidth.
I have tried 2 different sound cards and both of them do not out put sound. The xbox only seems to receive video.... any suggestions?
Rainbow 
It's working fine with DVD on my PC, but the subtitle doesn't show neither on the screen or in options.
Video is perfect.
Audio is fine, i must choose English on VLC (nothing is better than the original audio Big Grin )

Anyone has an idea ?

VLC v0.8.5
protocol: htpp
encapsulation: MPEG TS

Xbox (Hard chip)
evoXdash (Built on Sep 30 2007)
note for me: update evoXdash :p

DVD.strm
Code:
http://192.168.0.5:1234
Has anyone got this working on a PC using the loopback address.

Right now I want to use VLC to utilise the output of my analogue capture card to stream on the loopback address (127.0.0.1). This would give a TV feed into XBMC, channel changing etc will still be via the remote but I can live with this. With some scripting you could possibly connect to the VLC remote interface (again possibly via the loopback) and control VLC although with live streaming there isn't any real application other than recording which i would like to do.

I can stream to any other machine and loopback to another instance of VLC on the same machine but XBMC crashed or fails to start the stream. Ideas anyone?
Hi!
I got some streaming problems with VLC.

I click stream from the media menu, adds an .avi-movie and click stream, then pastes
--sout=#std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:1234} in the "Generated stream output string", and click Stream, and the movie starts to stream (it says streaming and i can see the movie playing in VLC.

But my problem is to open the stream. I have tried to open the stream with XBMC and VLC on the same computer and a compuer on my LAN. When i try in VLC i press "ctrl + n" and write http://myip/1234, but i get an errorr saying that vlc cant get the stream.

Any suggestions?
Dear Friends,

I did all steps but when I run the stream file in XBMC I get only the audio and no video,

any help please

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO stream video from VLC (VideoLAN-Client) PC1