[MAC] HOW-TO install plugins in XBMC for Mac (before the XBMC 10.0 Dharma release)
Information 
Hi,

How do you install Plugins on XBMC os x?

On the xbox if you add source in pictures, movies or music, there is a source type plugin, but I can not see this in the mac version.
Do I need to add the source manualy somehow?
Where do I put the plugin code?

Thanks for the help,

Ariel.
Hi there,

With Atlantis alpha4, you need to do it as follows:

1. Install the plugin by copying it to the appropriate folder. I *think* it's here:

~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins

2. Add the plugin source like you do on xbox (click Add Source, then select the plugin source). NOTE: the plugin source is only available if you actually have a plugin installed.

This process has since been streamlined in current SVN. Now step 2 is not required.

Note that even in Alpha4, the plugins node will appear in library view as soon as you have installed a plugin, so step 1 is all that is required.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Do you know what should be the structure under the plugins folder?
Should plugins go each in a folder right under the plugins folder of should there be a folder structure (pictures, music , videos) underneath?\

Thanks,

Ariel
Ah - it works now!
Now that I download atlantis4 there is already a plugin folder with subfolders underneath. I just copied the plugin code to the right folder and it automatically appears for selection.

Cheers,

Ariel.
Glad you got it working Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Big Grin 
arielgr Wrote:Do you know what should be the structure under the plugins folder? Should plugins go each in a folder right under the plugins folder of should there be a folder structure (pictures, music , videos) underneath?
For reference to others the structure is like this:

~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins/music/
~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins/music/PluginName/default.py

~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins/pictures/
~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins/pictures/PluginName/default.py

~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins/programs/
~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins/programs/PluginName/default.py

~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins/video/
~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins/video/PluginName/default.py
until now i just used scripts, but never plugins...also i never used xbmc ob a pc/mac, but only on my xbox.

right now i found a plugin that could be really useful for me: VDR Plugin

unfortunately i can't get it working. i'm using xbmc a4 on osx 10.5.4 and copied the plugin to ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins/video/VDR. so far so good. it doesn't show automatically in the videos section. therefore i created a new source. afterwards i can see the "VDR" folder as a source under videos. but what now? how can i start it?
einhänder Wrote:until now i just used scripts, but never plugins...also i never used xbmc ob a pc/mac, but only on my xbox.

right now i found a plugin that could be really useful for me: VDR Plugin

unfortunately i can't get it working. i'm using xbmc a4 on osx 10.5.4 and copied the plugin to ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins/video/VDR. so far so good. it doesn't show automatically in the videos section. therefore i created a new source. afterwards i can see the "VDR" folder as a source under videos. but what now? how can i start it?
I think you will have to post your feedback about any specific plugin in the python forum:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36988

Note that XBMC 'Atlantis' Beta 1 will be released any day now so might be worth waiting.

Wink
well, it was worth waiting. now everything is just fine regarding plugins. Wink
hi,
I'm on 8.10 beta1 and installed various plugins in the ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins directory
Flickr
Youtube 3.1
Xe.licio.us

Result : xbmc sees the plugins, only Youtube accept to retrieve information, then any click makes xbmc crashing.

Thanks for your help
Quote:hi,
I'm on 8.10 beta1 and installed various plugins in the ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/plugins directory
Flickr
Youtube 3.1
Xe.licio.us

Result : xbmc sees the plugins, only Youtube accept to retrieve information, then any click makes xbmc crashing.

Thanks for your help
2008-09-18 17:16

I believe those are scripts, and need to go into your scripts folder (which is different from plugins).

I'm curious - why isn't the XBMC-Addons Installer packaged with all builds to make this easier for users?

I know the official PMIII/PM3.HD skins no longer have the 'Programs' menu section but it could still be in favorites by default.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
thanks, rwparris2,
I ve installed XBMC add on installer. Works fine, thanks but :
1°) only 1/3 of the plugins i installed actually work (Flickr doesn't work for instance)
2°) the installation folder is always the same and i have to manually move the plugins into video, music, etc... folder. Would be nice if the installer had suggested or proposed the installation folder...
oseres Wrote:only 1/3 of the plugins i installed actually work (Flickr doesn't work for instance)
As all those scripts/plugins you listed are third-party add-ons you need to address the author of those plugins and scripts directly though the Python Scripts/Plugins Support and Requests Forum.

Know though that many Python scripts/plugins stop working quite often, not due to bugs in XBMC but by design as the nature of many scripts/plugins is that they scrape websites for the data they collect, websites that which can change, (instead of using a static and standard API which does not change, as many online services do not offer a such API). So the fact is, because scripts/plugins scrape a website and if that website changes its layout structure design then the scripts/plugins can not scrape them any longer without getting updated manually in their code.

Oo
oseres Wrote:2°) the installation folder is always the same and i have to manually move the plugins into video, music, etc... folder. Would be nice if the installer had suggested or proposed the installation folder...

Works correctly for me on windows & xbox, so that might be a mac specific bug in the installer. If so you should post in the python forum that Gamester17 pointed to.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Maybe i'm being stupid, but I cant seem to find any directories on my Mac for XBMC at all.

If I show package contents on the XBMC application I can see the plugin folders, but if I put plugins in there they arent shown in the application.

I'm trying to install the iPlayer plugin.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] HOW-TO install plugins in XBMC for Mac (before the XBMC 10.0 Dharma release)0