XBMC not deactivating Microsoft Windows XP OS screensaver when running
Hi
I'm using XBMC on Windows XP Home.
But when I'm watching a movie (with XBMC duh) my screensaver will start anyway...
I looked in options, and found some screensaver options, I put my Screensaver Mode off, but still I get the screensaver :/
How do I fix this ? Huh

Thanks !
Baby_Yoda Wrote:when I'm watching a movie (with XBMC duh) my screensaver will start anyway
Sounds like a bug (or rather a design flaw), XBMC developers will have to implement a function to prevent any screensaver installed in the Windows operating-system from activating while XBMC is running in full-screen, (but allow a such screenssaver to activate if XBMC is running windowed). Please submit a new ticket on trac http://trac.xbmc.org

Baby_Yoda Wrote:I looked in options, and found some screensaver options, I put my Screensaver Mode off, but still I get the screensaver
That settings is only for XBMC built-in screensavers and not the screensaver installed in the Windows operating-system which is the one you described.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Ok, thanks a lot Big Grin
Thumbs Up 
Hello to everyone ! Laugh

I did a few research on google and the forum, but couldn't find any help, so allow me to post my question:

Is there a way to deactivate Windows screensaver when on XMBC ?

XMBC has been a great experience for me so far, everything working fine. Except that, the windows screensaver keeps on bugging me if I don't move the mouse while on XMBC, unless I manually deactivate it manually on windows, amd I'd rather keep it, since I'm not always on XMBC.

I looked for all the settings within the soft, but it doesn't seem to be there...

Sorry if this is a real obvious thing and I'm missing it, but any help is welcome.

Oh, and my version of windows is Vista Ultimate.

Thank you ! Wink
This was opened as a bug recently which I closed as I can't reproduce it. I run XBMC in window mode and fullscreen on Vista and XP but the windows screensaver wasn't started at all.
SDL disables the screensaver per default and this behavior is only disabled if the environment variable SDL_VIDEO_ALLOW_SCREENSAVER is set.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Oopsie, I did miss this post, thank you for the merging.

Thanks Wiso, I indeed saw the trac thing which mentions the bug... and I can't say much besides that:
- It's a fresh install on a newly formatted computer (bought/installed 5 days ago, Windows Vista Ultimate x64).
- That I first thought it was due to using XBMC in Window mode, but appears to do the same in full screen.
- My display is an HDTV (maybe different configuration from the video driver than with usual displays ?). Resolution is very different than usual and I had first to run XBMC in window mode since it was crashing the display when XBMC was first displaying the "usual" resolutions. (1366×768 is my current, if I remember well)
- That it's really annoying.

Could you please let me know where is the file with the manual settings I can input ? I'd like checking the line you mentioned is actually there, and if not if I could add "SDL_VIDEO_DISABLE_SCREENSAVER" ?

Maybe this could also be due to recent drivers update, since you mentioned that this bug was submitted "recently" ? My card is a Geforce 7000 serie, with latest Nvidia's drivers.

Thank you again for the great soft anyway, XBMC is purely gorgeous and very nice to use. Great quality !
You can't set SDL_VIDEO_DISABLE_SCREENSAVER as it is the default. This is part of the SDL library (http://www.libsdl.org) which we just use.
The display could make a difference since I often read that drivers handles this output device differently. How is your HDTV connected to your PC?
Wiso just so u know, Ubuntu 8.04 has same issue (screensaver running in background when XBMC is running fullscreen) I know it does because it triggers a bug in xbmc with DIM ssaver.

How do you know it doesn't (run on Windows)?

I set the windows screensaver to 1 minute and just wait but even in window mode nothing happens.
The question is if XBMC is started on the tv and the screensaver starts on the gfx then maybe sdl just deactivates it for one display.
Mmm, indeed...

Well, first my HDTV is the only display and connected through plain old VGA cable, since no DVI/HDMI output on the computer. The TV seems to have a "PC" mode that turns out quite well.

One word about how the gfx handling differently the HDTV: I had to disable system's sleep since it was crashing the reinitialization of the display, and would keep on a black screen even after the system is up.

Though, screensaver and power saving features don't crash the display, it's only when the system puts into low energy/sleep mode that the gfx crashes.

So yeah, nothing to help about XBMC, unfortunately, but who knows, this might be a problem that will appear more and more since I'm sure people will want to hook up such a nice system that is an XBMC client to their HDTV Smile

Great job again, and good luck for the continuation, looking forward the next updates ! Cool
But this setup is something I can test since I have a test mac mini with winxp connected via dvi to my old pal plasma Nod
Ha, cool sounds about right ! Except XP since no one confirmed it happened there yet. Was the trac on XP or Vista ?

Anyway, good luck with the testing !
Ok tested it on my mac mini with xp sp3 connected via dvi to a plasma tv. This setup also works for me.
So I'm puzzled and dunno what the problem could be Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC not deactivating Microsoft Windows XP OS screensaver when running0