some funnies seen on Linux - fresh PPA install (ubuntu 8.04)
Hi Everyone,
Please forgive my newbieness (new to XMBC only), but I've been playing with this amazing media center for a few days, and I seem to have uncovered a few bugs (or at least strange features!).

I installed the PPAs for unbuntu 8.04, all xmbc started up fine.
I am running on a intel q6600 core 2 quad (but running 32 bit linux), with ATI HD 4850 + catalyst 8.8 binary driver.

summary:
1) flicker in windowed mode
2) hard to use dvd menus (with keyboard and mouse)
3) previously working dvd no longer being recognised, playing individual vob files instead!
4) library mode grayed out

Some detail:

1) when in windowed mode, the screen flickers really badly (heard it could be something to do with compiz...) luckily the workaround is to go full screen.

2) This is more serious - I have some ripped DVD folders on my hard-drive. When I first started xmbc and navigated to one (prison break, season 1, disc 1), it worked (kinda) - let me elaborate -

2a) while the dvd seemed to start ok, I got to the initial menus - I initially was unable to select dvd menu item (I could naviage with the keyboard arrow keys, but hitting enter returned the back to my Video list view). Right moving the mouse brought up the navigation controls (with a little dvd button on the controls).
After a while, starting and stopping, enter finally did let me select the item and I was working again. So we're ok ...... kinda!

3) Now I had my dvd playing, I tried to get cover art for it, so I set the source type to tv and downloaded the various art. I was very happy with how it looked.
However, I tried then to play the dvd, and now instead clicking on the dvd folder brings me to a folder listing, where I can see the individual vob files. Clicking on them plays that vob, but I can no longer play the dvd as intended.
Was not able to work around this after it got into this, even shutting down and re-starting did nothing.

4) the library mode button was working at first, but now it is grayed out. I don't know why this is. Was not able to find an option to enable it.

Any help on ANY item is greatly appreciated!
1) Make sure you disable Compiz (Ubuntu Desktop Effects), but it could also be the AMD video driver, so if disabling Compiz do not work then post a debug log from XBMC.
2) XBMC was designed to be used with a remote control, the keyboard and mouse control are really only bonus features and still need work all through XBMC GUI and skins, you can help with suggestions of keymapping.
3) Debug log from XBMC needed.
4) Library mode will be grayed out if you do not have any items in the library database, read the XBMC Online Manual (see my signature bellow) about adding Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos, and music to the library.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thank for the suggestions - will do.

As for 2) does anyone have nice keyboard bindings that 'work' ?

As for 3) it looks like this is a valid 'bug' - I found the following:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=dvd+ifo

it looks like kraqh3d managed to fix this in his local setup but no word on if this made it into any source.

Should I try the SVN nightly PPAs to see if this has been fixed, or maybe compile from SVN source directly?
There's currently a feature freeze, and the nightly SVN PPAs aren't being updated.
I've looked through some of the docs but cant find this -
can someone tell me how to remove a directory/movie/stack from the database - essentially clear the database?

I added some new dvd locations, and did not declare them as tv shows, but it still interprets them incorrectly...all I can do is play the individual .vob files

Any help is appreciated
Presumably you want to do more than just one movie, as this can rather obviously be done from context menu >> remove from library. Set content on the dir to "None" and chose "Yes" when it asks if you want to remove all the items.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
some funnies seen on Linux - fresh PPA install (ubuntu 8.04)0