Solved Messy HDR implementation
I'm not 100% sure I understand what people are asking here but... for calibrated TV panels, one would not want to play SDR content in HDR "emulating SDR mode", as the calibration is completely different from SDR modes to HDR modes.
Just chiming in to ask to never go there in development, please. Maybe nobody has the intention to but... better safe than sorry.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2023-06-24, 12:00)miikebross Wrote: Official Kodi builds have always switched HDR and SDR modes on and off appropriately for me.

In Windows? Which version of Windows?
(2023-06-08, 18:50)Klojum Wrote: It's always so refreshing when we receive constructive criticism.
Not sure if I'm sensing sarcasm but I did a search and found this thread and thought I'd bump it instead of creating a new one. I'm not sure what the teams priorities are but I assume this is on the lower side and thought I'd keep it on the radar.

(2023-06-08, 17:42)jepsizofye Wrote: since this is open source why not contribute so that kodi performs exactly how you expect? - https://kodi.tv/contribute
I've never written anything in C++, otherwise I'd have a crack at contributing.
Another long time user here. Finally registered today to chime in and give it my vote to please add HDR permanent on to future feature update. 

I understand that everyone's usage scenario is very different, and I don't presume to judge. But in my usage scenario, most of my contents are HDR. Win11 desktop also displays HDR beautifully. I've only got a small handful of SDR content left in my video library that i am willing to make the small sacrifice for those SDR content to be tone mapped to HDR during playback. I would much rather have the final output environment to be in a permanent HDR state so i don't have to constantly worry about switching HDR on and off when i play games vs when i watch movies etc. Since win11's Auto HDR works really well converting regular SDR games to HDR. there's really no reason "for me" to ever turn HDR off. 

If this was 2013 then i can understand why leaving Kodi in SDR state SHOULD be the default. But we're in 2023, going into a new era now that more and more content will all be mastered in Rec2020, eventually i'd imagine Windows will be designed with HDR as native environment in mind. I am not saying that everyone should live in HDR permanently now, again, i am not here to tell anyone what to do. But I am simply giving it a vote that make it a feature and let the users decide. I'd imagine that the feature would be something of a toggle that allows "HDR always on" mode or something like that. In my other computer where i don't have Kodi installed, MPC-HC simply allows a permanent HDR environment to operate correctly. yes, SDR videos would be toned mapped to HDR, but when i exit out of a SDR video or HDR video, the environment still stays in HDR. 

so i am giving this possible feature update my vote is what i am saying.
That was changed in v21, you can try the beta.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2023-11-13, 16:55)CrystalP Wrote: That was changed in v21, you can try the beta.

@CrystalP I assume the below is a good summary of the behavioiur in v21, which was taken from the HDR10 PR for XBOX.

Auto Mode - "Use HDR display capabilities" = ON (default)

GUI is rendered in SDR mode. HDR only is switched on at playback HDR contents. None is tone mapped.

Auto Mode but GUI in HDR - "Use HDR display capabilities" = ON (default)

User opens Kodi in SDR but press F11 key (manual HDR toggle). GUI is now in HDR PQ.
Playing HDR contents HDR not toggles because is already in HDR.
Playing SDR contents HDR toggles OFF and is played in SDR (no tone mapped).
When playback stops GUI returns to initial state (HDR PQ ON).

Manual Mode - "Use HDR display capabilities" = OFF

HDR videos are played in SDR mode (tone mapped Renhard/Hable/ACES) unless F11 key is pressed to toggle HDR ON.
SDR videos are played in SDR and optionally (if HDR is manually ON / F11) are tone mapped to HDR10 by Windows.
Additionally:

HDR On ALL THE TIME forever

In Kodi "Use HDR display capabilities" = OFF
In Windows HDR = ON from display settings (before open Kodi)

HDR content is played in HDR
SDR content is played in HDR (tone mapped by Windows)
Kodi GUI is rendered in HDR (tone mapped by Kodi in v21 and by Windows in v20)

EDIT: note that this is not new of v21, same can be done from day 0 in v20
Thanks everyone for the response. i had no idea that V20's behavior that Jogal described above already accomplishes this. I look forward to trying out V21 when it's out of the beta. i particularly like the part that jjd-uk described that SDR content would still be rendered in SDR. i believe that with this latest update, you may have created the best media center app. 

thanks all for your hard work.
btw, just a small suggestion. perhaps the naming of "Use HDR display capabilities" can be renamed to something else. otherwise people like me would mistakenly think that you must have that toggle set to "on" in order to have HDR in permanent state. but as described above, turns out that you must have it toggled "off" and let the Windows HDR toggle do the work. maybe calling it "SDR to HDR auto switching (for HDR capable display)" or some sort.
Thanks for the reminder for the name of the setting, I've been meaning to submit a change.
When it's on, Kodi will switch the Windows HDR mode on/off as appropriate. When off, Kodi will not change the Windows HDR setting, and will tonemap when needed.
I was thinking of renaming to "Adjust Display HDR mode", with additional details in the description.
The setting is hidden for screens that are not capable of HDR.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
(2023-11-14, 04:19)CrystalP Wrote: Thanks for the reminder for the name of the setting, I've been meaning to submit a change.
When it's on, Kodi will switch the Windows HDR mode on/off as appropriate. When off, Kodi will not change the Windows HDR setting, and will tonemap when needed.
I was thinking of renaming to "Adjust Display HDR mode", with additional details in the description.
The setting is hidden for screens that are not capable of HDR.
Hi! Could you provide a brief clarification on how things will need to be set in order to maintain the current/old behavior?

I do not use Windows in HDR, I do not want Kodi GUI in HDR, I do not want tonemapping for SDR. I simply want Kodi to switch to HDR mode as it's been doing since jogal's commits went into it.

Thanks a lot!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Don't change anything, the behavior change doesn't affect you.
It's meant for people who want their Windows desktop and Kodi GUI in HDR, and to switch HDR off for the duration of SDR playback. HDR used to remain off after playback, now it is switched back on.
(2022-02-14, 18:19)orby Wrote: i have to chime in and say your other programs are the issue "lazy developers" I would never want to run my TV in HDR mode all the time the extra energy use would be such a waste, and windows and almost every other app doesn't support it, why would I want the kodi GUI in HDR what benefit would that provide me? only one I can think of is I don't have to wait for HDR to engage but then when i watch SDR content the wait would be there still and currently more SDR content than HDR

another prime example is disney+ and netflix apps on xbox don't auto switch to 24P when the api is there to allow it, why? lazy developers or developers who don't understand it's importance

you have come to the wrong forum to complain about one the best additions to kodi for many years(my humble opinion)
Quite very wrong.  When I am recording HDR content in an application, if previewed using KODI, my display is set to SDR when I close KODI.  It seems a simple thing, irrelevant to some.  It's still an issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Messy HDR implementation0