Simple Sorting Question.
I've been pondering about a certain glitch I cannot explain at the moment. This glitch, or perhaps mistake, is as follows:

I have a few albums by a band called "Red" and another few by a band called "Red Hot Chili Peppers". When sorting albums by "Artist", the albums by "Red" are split up. Some of the albums are before all the "Red Hot Chili Peppers" albums, and others are after.

I can't figure this one out. I have rescanned band "Red" in again, checked all ID-Tags for any irregularities such as Sorting tags and made sure there was no additional information stored in the tags. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get all the albums by "Red" listed together. Any suggestions?

Another thing, since Allmusic went down, I'm struggling with Music scraping. The Universal + MusicBrainz scrapers never seem to pick up any information, and since a massive selection of my backup music selection are scrapped with Allmusic, I'm forced to add all the new albums I buy manually, trying to match all fields to fit in with the way Allmusic is structured. I prefer the Universal scraper coz the information scrapped, if any, if the closest match to Allmusic. Were older versions of Universal Album scraper better. At the moment I'm getting nothing! Any ideas (and yes, I have searched for topics on the matter)?

Check not only the artist tag, but the album artist tag.
Album Artist is clean. As I mentioned, I removed all additional information in the tags to check if the sorting issue would be solved. No luck with the matter.
I bet you its still a tag issue. Download MP3tag and use the "extended tag" dialog box (or something similar, im not at my main comp at the moment so I can't check), there is probably an offending field somewhere.
(2012-09-18, 11:25)BlackRose Wrote: Album Artist is clean. As I mentioned, I removed all additional information in the tags to check if the sorting issue would be solved. No luck with the matter.
When you say "clean", do you mean blank, or just "OK"? I always find I have far fewer headaches if "Album Artist" is filled, even if it's just the same as "Artist". Also, check for things like spaces (a rogue space at the end of a tag can be easy to miss) or capital letter differences in the tags.

Musicbrainz Picard is a useful program for automatically downloading info and tagging files.
So I tried a few things. Destroyed all ID tags. Re-created them, including all tag data such as Album Artist and even sorting fields. Checked for any nasty spaces. I only did this for the Red Discography, and still the same problem. I was really hoping ur advise would work folk, but we're having no luck it seems. Thanks for the ideas though. A glimmer of hope in all this madness. I feel rathy dumb, but yeah... any other ideas.
Have you tried cleaning the music library after these steps? Or even deleting the source and re-adding it? (Though might seem a bit drastic to re-scrape all your files, depending on how many you have)
(2012-09-22, 21:54)BlackRose Wrote: So I tried a few things. Destroyed all ID tags. Re-created them, including all tag data such as Album Artist and even sorting fields. Checked for any nasty spaces. I only did this for the Red Discography, and still the same problem. I was really hoping ur advise would work folk, but we're having no luck it seems. Thanks for the ideas though. A glimmer of hope in all this madness. I feel rathy dumb, but yeah... any other ideas.

Check your files for APE tags - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APEv2_tag, they could be getting picked up instead of id3
maybe the easiest thing to do is upload one of the offending files to somewhere so one of us can check it out. (PM the link, do not post here).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Simple Sorting Question.0