• 4(current)
Mass-production of pre-built set-top-box with XBMC for Linux to sell as retail?
I think I found a cheaper MOBO on newegg that could handle 1080p. The only problem is that almost a quarter of the reviews say people ran into problems with the NIC, obviously that is a no-go seeing as the majority of people will be streaming media. But its a good value, if the NIC's don't break. IMO I dont think E-SATA should be important on here, since a media center shouldn't need any external HDD's, except for networked ones.
i'm using that mobo right now and can say i had no NIC trouble,under ubuntu, both hardy and intrepid, but for now there is no hdmi audio support from nvidia and anyway spdif-out is only 2 channels, afaik... so i don't think it's a good choice for a 'top' HTPC
succo Wrote:i'm using that mobo right now and can say i had no NIC trouble,under ubuntu, both hardy and intrepid, but for now there is no hdmi audio support from nvidia and anyway spdif-out is only 2 channels, afaik... so i don't think it's a good choice for a 'top' HTPC
I still can't believe that spdif is only stereo... Thats ridiculous. If it wasn't for those 2 things that would definitely be the best choice for the price.
spdif is the same as optical. It can generally take 2 channels of PCM at 48kHz, or ofcourse multiple channels if encoded as AC3 or DTS.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Gamester17 Wrote:Apple TV in in that market space and it is sold for $229(US). Both MSI Wind and ASUS Eee Box are more powerfull and more flexible than it, buy them at bulk prices without Windows XP/Vista and add a cheap bluetooth remote (like for example Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-ray Disc Remote), pre-install and pre-configure XBMC Live on it and you got yourself a nice little set-top-box capable of 720p H.264 playback.

I have the Aspire One (a MSI Wind clone) and I can say that it can handle720p but barely. It worked on rather low bitrate stuff. I haven't done very thorough testing though but I'd say it is just a bit low specc.

Also if you attach it to 1080p and run a 720p source the GPU will have to much to handle.
When the atom dual core comes I'm sure it will be an awesome choice for 720p though.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Still guys, what you are discussing now is how to build a HTPC, that's not really what I meant or wanted (in regards to noise, power consumption, space, etc.).
My current setup plays all content and outputs to my tv at 1080, optical sound out giving 5.1. its quiet as i aquired a silent fanless psu and changed the hard drive to a CF card. Only thing that needs changing is to slow the dvd drive down and limit the noise on it.
it starts fast is quiet and i don't think you need anymore?
still learning linux, | Eve Media Box Case | Abit I-N73HD Motherboard | 2gb Ram | 8gb usb drive | xbmc live | 4tb Linux server |- Second box - XBMC live | GA-81915PM motherboard | 2gb Ram | Gainward 8400GS 512MB HDMI | 2.5" 60gb hard drive |Cheap MCE remote | Tvheadend server | Raspberry Pi | Acer Revo | Zotac ION
Am very interested in creating a xbmc powered Linux box i was been looking at various options: what about using this as a setup box

Mini-ITX Wrote:- Intel D945GCLF Atom Motherboard with a Atom 230 1.6GHz CPU
- Noah 3988 Mini-ITX Case measuring just 97 x 273 x 202mm
- 1GB of DDR2 667 RAM
- Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10 3.5in SATA HDD 8MB Cache
- All required cables and adapters.
£175.08 inc. VAT / €221.68 inc. VAT

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=44
wipeout140 Wrote:Am very interested in creating a xbmc powered Linux box i was been looking at various options: what about using this as a setup box

didn't the other 4 pages go on about how an atom isn't strong enough for 1080p and can barely handle 720p, but then again this could all change with GPU acceleration...

ow wait:GMA 950 graphics
icekiller Wrote:didn't the other 4 pages go on about how an atom isn't strong enough for 1080p and can barely handle 720p, but then again this could all change with GPU acceleration...

ow wait:GMA 950 graphics

Yeah i know, read the previous posts but it depends on user / person as i don't have/need a HDTV that would be a enough as i dont need it run 1080p or 720p
then get an old Xbox !
falc410 Wrote:then get an old Xbox !

i have got a xbox (1.6) which dual boots between MS Dashboard and XBMC then applications shortcuts to UnleashX and XDSL but the dvd drive is giving up
Then get another xbox for $60 at game stop.
This thread is really going off-topic as you are all discussing building custom and niche HTPC boxes (where there already are hundreds of other threads about).

This thread was really started to discuss building a set-top-box style box in bulk for the masses which XBMC could be pre-installed onto and sold in at retail, sure it could use some standard computer parts, but you can not expect it to meet all your dreams and desires for the price that you can sell such commercial boxes for.

You have to apply The Law of Diminishing Return "the majority of the effort should be invested in implementing features which have the most benefit and widest general usage by the potential users".

So forget about HDMI 1.3 and audio over HDMI, I am sure that the majority of potential buyers would be happy with DVI out (with a DVI to HDMI adapter included) and SP/DIF optical out for audio.

Now back on topic:
iBase MI940 looks a motherboard that you has the potential of building a powerful enough system for 1080p is the price is right and since it is a Mini-ITX board it could easily fit a set-top-box:
http://www.ibase.com.tw/mi940.htm

Nod
when will it SINK IN that X3100 and OLDER chipset just does NOT cut it for 1080p Gamester ?

Sure you can HOPE Intel fixes it with next driver revision (or the one after that), but I ask you: if it was fixable, why so late in the game ?

• 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mass-production of pre-built set-top-box with XBMC for Linux to sell as retail?0