HEIC Decoder Add-on required for Kodi 16.1
Hi - I am running a QNap NAS - the NAS is quite old now (QNAP 6700 Pro) so can only support the QNap 4.3.6 firmware.  QNap stopped supporting Kodi a while back but I found a Kodi 16.1 qpkg install package which works on this version of the QNAP OS I have, so I can run Kodi 16.1 on my NAS without issue.

However - the new photo format - HEIC that apple now use is means Kodi 16.1 is not recognising my latest photos from my IPhone when I transfer them to my Nas.  What I need is a photo decoder add-on for Kodi 16.1.1 that can decode HEIC photos.   Is there anyone out there that can build / create this ? and make it available to I can go into Kodi and select / install the add-on and resolve my issue.

Thanks Rob

P.S. - I have seen another forum where someone suggests upgrading the QNAP NAS O/S to 4.4 and then installing a later version of Kodi which has the decoder available but my NAS does not support a later O/S so I cannot do this.  Also I have not come across a later version of Kodi that has been independently packaged and prepared to work on QNAP (since they ended support) so I have to stick with my working Kodi 16.1 before anyone suggests trying to upgrade everything and risk screwing up my existing working setup.
This is probably not the answer you'll want to hear.

IMHO, a NAS should do what it is there for: being a storage system for your (media) files. Making it also do specific HTPC tricks such as Kodi via an onboard HDMI port was never gonna last very long. Not only need QNAP to maintain their own Kodi releases, but no one really wants a loud NAS (every proper NAS makes some noise) under or near their television set. Now you have an outdated Kodi version, which is no longer supported, and that you want to have handle a photo format which is not supported by your NAS's graphics hardware. In other words, those HEIC photos would need to be decoded by software methods instead. If even possible, the CPU in your outdated NAS is mostly designed for handling simple files and file server management tasks. Creating such an add-on is quite a niche for a EOL storage solution, also because Kodi 16 is relying on now also EOL Python-2 scripting. As per Kodi 19, Python-3 has been implemented. All-in-all, I don't think your wish will ever be granted.

So the odds are quite against you. My advice: get a separate device to do the viewing with an uptodate Kodi version instead of the NAS. Plenty of new but cheap Android devices will run circles around your NAS box in terms of HEVC/HEIC video performance. Or get your iPhone to show your photos directly on your TV via for example a Chromecast TV dongle, or whatever wireless technology an iPhone and your TV can share.
Hi Rob,

I am desperately looking for Kodi 16 for my old QNAP TS-469L (can't found it on the web in 2023 No ...)

Please could you provide me the qpkg you are using?

Thanks!

Loakadams
(2023-02-15, 09:56)loakadams Wrote: Hi Rob,

Rob visited this forum only once (in 2022), so I doubt he'll come up with an answer...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEIC Decoder Add-on required for Kodi 16.10