Req [Linux] - Command line options for starting as a specific user
Currently Kodi 14.0 on Linux (Ubuntu 14.04) lists 6 options on man page. None of these are related to user accounts. It would be great to have better control over user accounts when starting Kodi on command line.

Any of these would be ok:

1. Have "user" and "password" options so that Kodi starts as a specific user. Like:

Code:
/usr/bin/kodi -u Master -pw Masterpassword
Code:
/usr/bin/kodi -u LimitedUser

2. Have the password saved in a file that can be set with chmod 600:

Code:
/usr/bin/kodi -u Master -pwf ~/.kodi/userdata/passwdfile

3. Have all the log-in details in a file:

Code:
/usr/bin/kodi -c ~/.kodi/userdata/masterlogincredentials.xml
Code:
/usr/bin/kodi -c ~/.kodi/userdata/limiteduserlogincredentials.xml

And the file:
Code:
<LoginCredentials>
<User>Master</User>
<Password>Masterpassword</Password>
</LoginCredentials>

And:
Code:
<LoginCredentials>
<User>LimitedUser</User>
<Password></Password>
</LoginCredentials>

4. Some way to have the password encrypted somehow

No example, as I would not know how to achieve this.

Something like this. In any case, any possibility to launch Kodi from a command line with control over the user login and password.

Background: I use SSH client on Android to launch Kodi with a snippet:
export DISPLAY=:0 && /usr/bin/kodi &
But it gets stuck on the user login screen so I have to launch yet another remote tool to select the user and enter a password before any of the Kodi remote control apps can start controlling Kodi. I would like that when I start Kodi from my Android device it starts automatically when I press a button on my SSH widget and then can directly use the remote control widget to control Kodi without the need to start Home Remote Control app or VNC just to log in to Kodi.

When launching Kodi on the computer itself it is good it asks for the password as our daughter does not need to see our horror films - cartoons are enough, but she has no access to my Android device, so I can have an automatic login if I start Kodi from that device.

I posted a question on the Linux side, but as man did not show any options for user account control I opened a feature request. If this feature already exists and I just missed it, please remove this thread.
There's no place like ~
you mean kodi profiles?
Yes
There's no place like ~

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] - Command line options for starting as a specific user0