Solved Error (0xc0000005) thrown at startup on Windows 7
I recently "Upgraded" my Windows 7 installation because of some unknown glitchiness that included an inability to install any versions of Kodi after 16 due to the check for some Windows KB update, which was installed but the check said no.

Anyway, I tried going to Linux Mint (different SSD install), but I am not happy with the workarounds for audio passthrough, and the inability for Linux to pass HDR information through to my 4K HDR TV, thus, the return to Win7.

The upgrade went well (I had to uninstall Kodi, and move the AppData/Roaming/Kodi folder to a network drive due to diskspace requirements during the upgrade), and I was able to install Kodi 19.4 afterwards. Kodi started up, and I proceeded to repopulate my database from an export done before the upgrade. 

I am not sure what happened, but subsequently, I was unable to start Kodi again, as Windows throws the "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)" error.
I have tried uninstalling and re-installing 19.4, and I find that it will start if I check the "Run Kodi" box at installation finish it will start and run fine, but will not start again after it is closed. I tried uninstalling and removing everything in the AppData folder related to Kodi, and doing a "fresh" install, but that had the same result.

Tried downgrading to 19.1, same same.

Tried suggestions online for "fixing" the (0xc0000005) error, again, same result.

So, what am I missing here? I am pretty willing to entertain just about any suggestions at this point.

Thanks for listening.
Solved ----

Changed the properties of Kodi.exe to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode. That seemed to do the trick. Perhaps I missed the statement on the Kodi page that Kodi 19 was not compatible with Windows 7. My bad.
I do not know how to mark this Solved, or I would.
Windows 7 Installation Error Code: 0xC0000005 from what I can tell this error is reflective of some hard drive issue, you should consider a check disk on it. Of Note: Windows 7 will have a limitation of passing 10bit colour information; High Dynamic Range, W10 offers HDR support, W7 is no longer supported. You will always get issues trying to make it do things it was not designed for. For security alone, you should really upgrade.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Error (0xc0000005) thrown at startup on Windows 70