[PATCH] Native WinLIRC support to XBMC for Windows
I've been working on the windows port of LIRC for a while now. Anyway I have some working plugins for the microsoft MCE receivers. Since the MCE hardware is capable of giving the raw IR signal, you can use any remote control with your MCE receiver, not just the bundled RC6 remote. This would certainly be a better option than people buying universal remotes. Hey, you could just buy a receiver and not bother with buying a remote ! When using other remotes you don't need to worry about the the remote automatically sending key presses to windows, or starting windows media centre lol. Most of the receivers winlirc supports actually allow you to use any remote control.

Anyway if only xbmc supported winlirc. Lirc is already supported, and the protocols are the same !

Heres the raw waveform captured with my MCE receiver. You can see the toggle bit highlighted Smile

http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/
I am stuck on the config file for winlirc
which receiver?
Most can be downloaded from
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/
wow, that would be completely awesome if xmbc would support winlirc. winlirc+eventghost is sooooo limitedSad
ingo
--
winxppro sp3 on zotac gf9300-i-e, celeron 3300, 2gb ram, 4gb ssd @ ewf, 250gb hdd
Since winlirc was abandon we (Chadoe) implemented the IR server suite. what does winlirc offer more?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Huh
winlirc IS under development now.
irss was abandoned too (so btw, if that "matters").
as dukey already stated: the lirc-protocol is already implemented under the linux-version of xbmc. so it would be hardly no work to get this done. not?

example, for me, i use the "IR Einschalter" - a serial ir-receiver. winlirc can directly communicate with it. with IRSS i have to use winlirc AND on top IRSS AND the IRSS Translator. Too much overhead. much too complicated to configure, "clicky clicky config". every additional abstraction layer is one too much...

Quote:what does winlirc offer more?
lirc-maps and keymaps from linux-lirc-xbmc-configs could be REUSED in windows without any reconfiguration (!!!). 1hour of hard IRSS-configuration vs. copy-paste with winlirc! just as simple.

however, it's also a matter of consistency.
ingo
--
winxppro sp3 on zotac gf9300-i-e, celeron 3300, 2gb ram, 4gb ssd @ ewf, 250gb hdd
sry for beeing a bit offensive. but i'm very interested into this solution. i really LOVE xmbc MUCH over mediaportal and the ONLY drawback under windows is the LACK of a GOOD serial-receiver-remotecontrol solution for xbmc. i had xmbc running on ubuntu too and with lirc it was a CHARM. now beeing on windows, my control lacks of many commands.
ingo
--
infabo Wrote:sry for beeing a bit offensive. but i'm very interested into this solution. i really LOVE XBMC MUCH over mediaportal and the ONLY drawback under windows is the LACK of a GOOD serial-receiver-remotecontrol solution for xbmc. i had XBMC running on ubuntu too and with lirc it was a CHARM. now beeing on windows, my control lacks of many commands.

I think this sounds good to have WinLIRC, but you should check out eventghost

http://www.eventghost.org

-Wes
I just want to collect pro's and con's since neither chadoe nor me are very active at the moment we have to look what to implement Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
waldo22 Wrote:I think this sounds good to have WinLIRC, but you should check out eventghost

http://www.eventghost.org

-Wes
i'm already using eventghost and it's not 100% perfect. for example i can not set different actions in different menus! e.g. button "right" should be "right" in a menu and "skip +5min" when watching a movie. i can not achieve this with eventghost. or can you show me?
ingo
--
infabo Wrote:i'm already using eventghost and it's not 100% perfect. for example i can not set different actions in different menus! e.g. button "right" should be "right" in a menu and "skip +5min" when watching a movie. i can not achieve this with eventghost. or can you show me?

Yes, I'll redo my thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45337

later on today.

Basically, you want to install the "XBMCRepeat" plugin in EventGhost instead of the regular XBMC plugin.

Then you just map the buttons to the button names in XBMCRepeat, instead of mapping to actions like you currently do.

I just recently figured this out...
niiiiiiiiiice indeed! but it would be even better having direct winlirc-support. but xbmcrepeat is already a BIG leap!
ingo
--
infabo Wrote:niiiiiiiiiice indeed! but it would be even better having direct winlirc-support. but xbmcrepeat is already a BIG leap!

Yes it's much, much better, but native WinLIRC support makes sense if it's easy to implement...

-Wes
WiSo Wrote:I just want to collect pro's and con's since neither chadoe nor me are very active at the moment we have to look what to implement Smile

Pros:
- Same protocol as LIRC, should be super easy to impliment seeing as how LIRC is already supported.
- Client/server architecture. Server could be on any pc, or even a Linux machine running LIRC.
- Supports devices that the IR server suite doesn't support. In fact a few of the devices supported by WinLIRC are ONLY supported by WinLIRC and not girder etc, eg the USB IR Toy.
- Most of the devices supported by WinLIRC will work with any remote control. Not only that you can use as many remote controls as you want with 1 receiver. You could do this with the MCE receiver if you wished.
- For generic receivers with remotes, LIRC has a huge database of configs for remote controls, which makes setup considerably easier.
- WinLIRC is open source.

Biggest reason is, because Win/LIRC is the closest thing to a remote control standard we'll ever see. On Linux it is the defacto standard, and is actually becoming part of the kernel.

Cons:
- Someone has to merge the code and test it I guess Smile
dukey, you're the man! Wink
ingo
--

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] Native WinLIRC support to XBMC for Windows2