Release YouTube for Trailers
Heart 
Easy playback of YouTube trailers from the various skins etc.

Playback only.
Does not do navigation / subscriptions etc.

Purely for trailer playback without requiring setup / login.
On Android, there are settings to allow using the Android YouTube app for playback or as a fallback.

Note:
Uses the same addon id as kodis version to allow skin integration to work without any modification

Source Code
https://github.com/matthuisman/slyguy.ad...eo.youtube

Info & Install Instructions
https://www.matthuisman.nz/2023/11/youtube-for-trailers-kodi-add-on.html
Please stop hijacking the YouTube addon! When your repository is installed and add-on updates are set to "automatically", it's not possible to revert to the Youtube addon because your addon installs right away again on top of it.

Edit: Well, I can prevent it by setting the YouTube addon not to update individually. But that prevents me from getting updates to itself as well.
This is in its own repo (slyguy YouTube repository) with only this add-on in it. Without the repo installed, Kodi can't hijack the official one.

This is to solve exactly what you said.

So don't install the repo if you don't want the add-on. Simple.

It makes that pretty clear in the blog post I thought
Is there a reason why this addon has to replace the official youtube addon? Wouldn't it be possible to rename this addon to something like plugin.video.youtube.trailers so it an co-exist with the official youtube addon?
(2023-11-18, 09:58)teriyaki Wrote: Is there a reason why this addon has to replace the official youtube addon? Wouldn't it be possible to rename this addon to something like plugin.video.youtube.trailers so it an co-exist with the official youtube addon?

yes there is a reason

the addon id 'plugin.video.youtube' is hardcoded (not user configurable) into the movie and tv scrapers and is put into the database

https://github.com/xbmc/metadata.themovi...db.py#L239

otherwise it wouldn't play trailers from the info screen
Yes. That's the whole point. If you're happy with the standard Kodi YouTube add-on, just use that. It does trailers too.

I wanted something simple for trailers and then I use official Android app for my browsing /subscriptions playback
working great matt thanks for this, been waiting over a year for a usable youtube client in kodi

request

add an option for a context menu on listitems which have a youtube trailer so trailers can be played from the listing without having to open the info dialog
it would finish this off for me, i have such an context item on my own replacement youtube (but now yours replaces my replacement)

<visible>String.Contains(ListItem.Trailer,youtube)</visible>

TIA

edit: yes i know you prefer these on github but that is a PITA for me to make a simple req
isnt that a skin change? I cant see how the add-on would do that?
(2023-11-19, 00:36)matthuisman Wrote: isnt that a skin change? I cant see how the add-on would do that?

nah, global context from addon.xml

xml:
  <extension point="kodi.context.item">
    <menu id="kodi.core.main">
        <menu>
            <item library="addon.py" args="youtube">
                <label>Trailer - YouTube</label>
                <visible>String.Contains(ListItem.Trailer,youtube)</visible>
            </item>
        </menu>
    </menu>
  </extension>
I just tested your addon on Kodi 21 "plugin.video.youtube" (kodi repo) is not installed.

Your addon works without an API key, I'm thrilled.

But there is a difficulty when installing "YouTube for Trailers" because the dependency "script.module.slyguy" is missing.
I had to install "script.module.slyguy" via another addon (SlyGuy Repository) so that I could install "YouTube for Trailers"
Just a thanks Matt - this is great. Really nice to have trailers back and working at last...the other one is so broken, so often, it's not worth having.

(If I want to watch actual YouTube, I can use ReVanced & casting, or similar, to make that bearable...)
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
@Fuchs2468
Yes, it's in the blog post that you need to install slyguy common first. This is because a repo can't install a dependency from a different repo as a security thing I believe. A bit annoying, but nothing too major
(2023-11-17, 20:36)matthuisman Wrote: This is in its own repo (slyguy YouTube repository) with only this add-on in it. Without the repo installed, Kodi can't hijack the official one.
This is to solve exactly what you said.
So don't install the repo if you don't want the add-on. Simple.
It makes that pretty clear in the blog post I thought

Thanks for the pointers, I'll double-check my settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
YouTube for Trailers0