• 15(current)
[RELEASE] TED Talks (Video) Plugin
The addon doesn't work atm, but the developer is working on it.

When the addon is fixed a new version of the addon is pushed to the Kodi add-on repo. After a day or two your addon should update automatically (if automatic update is turned on) or you have to push the update button yourself.
(2017-07-09, 21:31)Skipmode A1 Wrote: The addon doesn't work atm, but the developer is working on it.

When the addon is fixed a new version of the addon is pushed to the Kodi add-on repo. After a day or two your addon should update automatically (if automatic update is turned on) or you have to push the update button yourself.

Thanks. Yes, auto update button is enabled. Based on your experience with updated/fixed add ons, what's your best estimate of how long before there is a fixed version pushed to the Kodi add-on repository? Days, weeks, months?

Furthermore, is the Ted Talks add-on exclusively located in the Kodi add-on repo, or is it also located in other add-on repositories? I can only locate it in the Kodi add-on repo.
Sometimes days, mostly weeks, almost never months.

>Furthermore, is the Ted Talks add-on exclusively located in the Kodi add-on repo?
Yes
(2017-07-09, 19:27)JamesButlerHickok Wrote: NOOB Alert: A few months ago this non-tech savvy member joined the the "cut the cable" bandwagon by purchasing a Fire TV box. I was able to use several Youtube videos to successfully side load Kodi and several add-ons onto my Amazon Fire-TV. I've become fairly adept at navigating thorough this strange new world of streaming video sources. While at first very intimidating, it has become easier to understand and maneuver through this arena of Youtubers, add-ons, repositories, url's, zip files, apps, providers, etc. However, I have no tech background and am therefore very limited when specific technical issues arise.

For example, I successfully located and easily downloaded Ted Talks to my Amazon Fire TV through the Kodi Add-on repository.

However, when I try to view any Ted Talk topics, the all to familiar "TED Talks ERROR check the log for more information" message pops up in the upper right corner of the screen. It disappears after several seconds, then "Playback failed. One or more items failed to play. Check the log for more information about this message" appears.

Clicking the "OK" tab returns me to the Ted Talks page, and I am able to back out through Ted Talks to get back to the Kodi home screen.

Not intending to hiJack or dumb down this thread, but a a specific internet search landed me here. I am undoubtedly showing my lack of tech knowledge and protocol here through this next question, but Is there anyway to fix this Kodi issue to enable me to watch Ted Talks on Amazon Fire TV? For instance can I download the latest Ted Talks url through FIREDL or Downloader or ES Explorer, or do I simply need to wait for someone to post the fix of the current Ted Talks add-on, and then download the latest update from the Kodi add-on repository?

Hey, I've been busy and skipmodeA1 did some work in my absence. I'm not sure if he got an official release done or not, but I'll try to get that sorted in the next few days.

In the meantime, if you're desperate you can download the plugin zip from one of our github repositories and install that, but I'm not sure how it will affect updates through the Kodi app.
Hello,
Great i can see my "Ted talks" as before with the new update
Thanks to moreginger and skipmode A1!
Robert from France
(2017-07-20, 12:26)carnussien Wrote: Hello,
Great i can see my "Ted talks" as before with the new update
Thanks to moreginger and skipmode A1!
Robert from France

Great, thanks Robert! Smile
I saw a message from garz just before the great forum outage (only just managed to get a password reset email now!). The original reply appears to have been lost.

The snippet I got was:
---
Is the add on broken again?
Can anyone advise the status?
---

It seems fine for me. Could you repost if this is still happening?
In general has been working for me for years.
Some questions:
- Search seems intermittent. Some searches work, other error. It could be it errors when it does not find results (Index out of range).
Code:
22:07:21.382 T:6308   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.IndexError'>
                                            Error Contents: list index out of range
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Users\bud_s\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ted.talks\default.py", line 16, in <module>
                                                ted_talks.Main(args_map=args_map).run()
                                              File "C:\Users\bud_s\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ted.talks\resources\lib\ted_talks.py", line 323, in run
                                                modes[mode].run(self.args_map)
                                              File "C:\Users\bud_s\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ted.talks\resources\lib\ted_talks.py", line 135, in run
                                                self.run_internal(args)
                                              File "C:\Users\bud_s\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ted.talks\resources\lib\ted_talks.py", line 282, in run_internal
                                                self.__add_items__(search_term, 1, [], False)
                                              File "C:\Users\bud_s\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ted.talks\resources\lib\ted_talks.py", line 256, in __add_items__
                                                search_results = list(itertools.chain(current_items, talks_generator))
                                              File "C:\Users\bud_s\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.ted.talks\resources\lib\model\search_scraper.py", line 36, in get_talks_for_search
                                                img = xbmc_common.parseDOM(result, 'img', ret='src')[0]
                                            IndexError: list index out of range
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
22:07:21.406 T:5920   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.ted.talks/?mode=search
22:07:21.410 T:11244   ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.ted.talks/?mode=search) failed
- The "Newest Videos" in plugin do not match what I see on the website. e.g. I cannot find this video in the plugin
https://www.ted.com/talks/moriba_jah_why...ace_debris
Hi, the TED Talks add-on has stopped working for me in the last few days/couple of weeks

Can anyone confirm whether it's working for them?

The add-on loads correctly, and the menus work ok too. But when trying to play any talk video, an error notice pops up

I think I managed to get the correct error log, which includes the Python script error report. Here's the link: https://paste.kodi.tv/birakixefo.kodi

I'm not sure if this add-on is still maintained but hopefully the current developer/maintainer can get a look at it

Many thanks in advance!
I tested and confirmed that the video add-on TED Talks 4.2.12 has stopped working for me.  When I start Ted Talks it lists the categories: Newest Talks, Search..., Speakers, and Topics.  When I go into Newest Talks and choose a listed item then a "Ted Talks error" and/or a "Playback failed" message pops up.  I didn't grab any logs because there is a log file in the immediately preceding post.

This is on a Raspberry Pi 2 with LibreELEC 8.2.5 and Kodi 17.6.
I opened a bugreport 17 days ago on github and it seems to have been fixed upstream.
haven't tested it yet though but the update has not been replicated to repositories as of date.
Thanks @dencrypt for posting about the bug report you created on this failure to play issue.  After following the link to the bug report and then to the GitHub - moreginger/xbmc-plugin.video.ted.talks repository I was able to collect the updated files and then manually update my Ted Talks add-on.  With these manual updates the Ted Talks add-on is working again.  :-)

From the changelog.txt file it appears that a 4.2.13 release is being prepared, however as of today I still haven't seen a Pull Request for the update.  See XBMC Ted Talks PRs.
Smile 
Is there a Matrix version of this addon ?
It seems to be Python 3 compatible but has an old requirement for python,
It appears that the Ted Talks v4.3.1 has stopped working.  The add-on does list the available shows, but fails to play these on my Raspberry Pi 3 with LibreELEC 9.2.6.
Indeed, it seems completely broken now. A few weeks ago I still could see some Ted Talks.
Now all give the error “Een of meer items konden niet worden afgespeeld. Controleer het log voor meer informatie over dit bericht.
That’s Dutch for: not playable, check log.
Plug-in version 4.3.1
LibreELEC 9.2.6
Kodi 18.9.0
Raspberry Pi 4
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] TED Talks (Video) Plugin5