Addon license requirements
I've been looking at writing a python script, possibly for submission to repo.scripts

From what I can tell, repo.scripts itself has no license and from the wiki, a compatible license is required for any included addon.

Looking at the main Kodi repo, I see reference to both GPLv2 and GPLv2-or-later.  I'm not sure how that works for a complete source of Kodi?  But maybe not germaine to repo.scripts.

Anyway, I am looking at including a 3rd party python package that I import.  That package is licensed under Apache License 2.0 (APL 2.0).  From what I've read, I can include that code unmodified along with my code if I license my addon under GPLv3.  So my question is, is it OK to specify GPLv3 as my license and include APL 2.0 for code under that license.

scott s.
Quote:Anyway, I am looking at including a 3rd party python package that I import.  That package is licensed under Apache License 2.0 (APL 2.0).  From what I've read, I can include that code unmodified along with my code if I license my addon under GPLv3.  So my question is, is it OK to specify GPLv3 as my license and include APL 2.0 for code under that license.

As far as submitting to the official Kodi add-on repository, the article about add-on rules on the Kodi wiki says that they "recommend the CC-BY-SA 3.0 for skins and the GPL v2+ for others, but most copy left licenses will suffice. Proprietary licenses will not be allowed. Please investigate which license suits your needs and you fully understand the contents." You can definitely release your add-on under the GPL version 3 (or "GPL version 3 or later" if you'd like to let developers to use it under a newer version of the GPL in the future), since there's at least 1 add-on in the Kodi repo with that license already (the tmdbsimple add-on). You can and should also specify what code in your add-on was originally under the Apache license 2.0, so future developers know what code is available under what license. Hope that helps!
P.S. I found another thread about using code with different licenses in add-ons that might help as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Addon license requirements0