• 3(current)
Movies beginning with "The"
I wholeheartedly agree with mcowher. I don't use Library Mode because it simply takes too long to scan. I really want the "Ignore Tokens" option back in File view mode. IMO, that would make it more consistent. If you don't want that you turn the option off. If you do, you turn it on. Making it the same in File View and Library View is better.
In all Windows builds I've tried, the "ignore tokens" for sorting does not seem to work (at least not in file view, which I always use). Hence, all movies beginning with "The" are grouped together under "T".

I would have put this down to being a quirk of file view, but XBMC on Xbox always ignored the tokens correctly in file view.
Vista Home Premium, Core2Duo T8100, Nvidia 8400M GT, 2GB RAM
That's intentional. It was deliberately changed so that it doesn't affect files view.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:That's intentional. It was deliberately changed so that it doesn't affect files view.

Ok, makes sense why this was happening now thanks.

(I'd started a new post elsewhere, so my prior post was moved here - just in case anyone already posting in this thread was wondering why I can't read everyone else's posts!)

However, I too would like to voice support for bringing back "ignore tokens" to file view. I can see the logic for file view being the true alphabetical order of files, as opposed to titles, though I would have thought any files in the "movies" section would be named according to the movie title.

The reason I do not like library mode is because I have different folders of movies on the network and I wish to browse by folder - eg, if I want to see just movies I've recently added, I just browse to the folder that I store recently added movies, or if I want to browse just HD movies, I browse to the folder that contains my HD movies. To me at least, it's an easier was to navigate in that I can pass the remote to anyone and they will know exactly what they are looking it.
jmarshall Wrote:That's intentional. It was deliberately changed so that it doesn't affect files view.

Ok so now we know it was intentional, but many of us simply do not like this change. Was anyone asked their opinion before the change was forced on us?

There are many of us that simply don't want to use Library mode. I too like to organize my movies by folder. I have folders for "New Releases", Kids, Holidays, TV, James Bond, Star Trek, Educational, etc.

I like having complete control of how I organize my movies.

Now, when I use my preferred way of organizing the movies are sorted without regard to tokens like "The"...

Can't we just make this a separate option along the lines of "Ignore Tokens in File View"?
You are welcome to change it yourself if you wish.

It will not be changed back for Atlantis.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:You are welcome to change it yourself if you wish.

It will not be changed back for Atlantis.

Is it as simple as changing properties / a flag in specific file(s) that any of us could do manually? If it's something us non-devs could do (and of course, not be fully supported) please let us know. If not, guess we haven't got much choice but to wait post Atlantis and hope there's enough support to get it changed back...
Yes, it's an easy change. See GUIViewStateVideo.cpp

Compare the Files section with the Nav section - basically you use SORT_BY_LABEL_NO_THE when appropriate instead of SORT_BY_LABEL etc.

Excellent - will give it a go on the weekend, thanks.
jmarshall Wrote:Yes, it's an easy change. See GUIViewStateVideo.cpp

Compare the Files section with the Nav section - basically you use SORT_BY_LABEL_NO_THE when appropriate instead of SORT_BY_LABEL etc.

And of course after this, compile a new version for your platform....

ps. I'm also puzzled why this behaviour was changed, rendering it inconsistent with how it works in library mode....
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
again, as kraqh3d has ALREADY stated;

this used to be inconsistent across file views. i personally think it is just as it should be now. if you want your files sorted in a different order, rename them!

when i list my files i dont want the application to feck around with the list at all.
listing movies or shows however, is a different matter.
Without getting into the ins and outs of whether 'Ignore Tokens' should work in file mode, the simple fact is, it doesnt.

My four year old cant understand how to use 'libray mode' and cant understand why his favourite movie 'The Ant Bully' is not first in the list.

I know I'm a terrible parent, but I'm sick of being dragged out of bed at 5:30, whereas he used to be able to start the movie himself and let me sleep.

I've spent alot of time getting TortoiseSVN, visual studio installed, the XBOX SDK and all the files but can't work out for the life of me how to change 'GUIViewStateVideo.cpp' to make it go back to how it used to work. Can someone give me some pointers of how to do this?

I'm all for people helping themselves - and there is enough information out there that I'm sure I'll be able to work out how to recompile, but becomming a proficient C# or C++ (or whatever it is) programmer is beyond my skill set.

Any help would be really appreciated.
This worked for me but I haven't fully tested it. I just checked one of my sorted directories in file mode and "The" was ignored properly. I believe this disables "The" even if you turn off "Ignore Tokens". I prefer to always ignore "The" no matter what mode I'm in. So any way, here is my inelegant solution.

In the file 'GUIViewStateVideo.cpp', open with notepad and replace all occurannces of '(SORT_METHOD_LABEL,' with '(SORT_METHOD_LABEL_IGNORE_THE,' and then recompile.

Keith

"I'm not a programmer but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"
Cheers Keith!

Tried that and it worked - now I've gone on one step further...Changing the line:

AddSortMethod(SORT_METHOD_LABEL, 551, LABEL_MASKS("%L", "%I", "%L", "")); // FileName, Size | Foldername, empty

to:

if (g_guiSettings.GetBool("filelists.ignorethewhensorting"))
AddSortMethod(SORT_METHOD_LABEL_IGNORE_THE, 551, LABEL_MASKS("%L", "%I", "%L", "")); // FileName, Size | Foldername, empty
else
AddSortMethod(SORT_METHOD_LABEL, 551, LABEL_MASKS("%L", "%I", "%L", "")); // FileName, Size | Foldername, empty

And it links the sorting back to the 'Ignore tokens when sorting' setting.

One thing I dont understand about this change in the first place, in file mode I have the option to sort by 'Name', 'Size', 'Date' & 'File'. It makes perfect sence to me that the sort by 'Name' option takes account of the 'Ignore tokens when sorting' setting. If you want the files listed exactly as they are, use the sort by 'File' setting.

The way it is now in the latest builds, I cant see any differnece between the sort by 'Name' option and the sort by 'File' option. Is there a difference?

Glen
It did not work for me. But that's OK. I'm quite happy to never have "The" used for sorting. I'll stick with the way I did it, I'm just too lazy to try and decipher the If then Else statements.

How great is it that even a non programmer can customize changes to create our own custom version of such a great piece of software?

Keith
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movies beginning with "The"0