• 7(current)
I have created an addon to remove all black bars, including hard coded
I've uninstalled this and it has left my screen zoomed, despite clicking yes to removing settings when uninstalling.

How do I get back to original?

I'm on nvidia shield with Nexus v20.2 (20.2.0)

tia

J
KODI remembers last used zoom amount for each file. I am not too sure on how you can make KODI forget the zoom for all the videos it has already "remembered", aside from manually changing zoom in Video settings->View Mode to Custom and Zoom to 1.00 for each video. Or in the same settings select View Mode as Normal and at the bottom you'll see an option "Set as default for all media".
Hey osumoclement,

Thankyou for your response and suggestion of "select View Mode as Normal and at the bottom you'll see an option "Set as default for all media", this worked perfectly.

J
(2022-10-02, 10:49)osumoclement Wrote: I have always absolutely hated black bars, so I created an add-on to fix this. If the black bars are hard-coded, it will detect the true aspect ratio of the video by analyzing frames, and then it zooms exactly enough so that the video fits the whole screen. If the black bars are due to the video being widescreen, it will also detect that and zoom appropriately. Either way, you will end up with a video that covers the whole screen for an immersive experience, just as it should be. Long gone are the days we had to suffer the horror of watching movies that utilize only 50% of our huge, expensive TV's.

The add-on doesn't touch videos with proper aspect ratio (16:9 is assumed). Once installed, it works automatically, no further configuration needed.

Here's the link black.bars.never
Smile Enjoy!
This is pretty neat and it works great on my 16:9 displays but it's broken and in some ways counter productive on any screen taller than that like 16:10 or 4:3

For example, this 'widescreen' TV DVD, which has baked in letter boxes.  On my 16:9 displays it zooms in, perfect, but on my 4:3 displays it also zooms in when it should do nothing.  When it zooms on a 4:3 display it crops the left and right side of the image and we lose information

There's also the case of 4:3 Blu-Rays, as 4:3 is not possible on Blu-Ray, any 4:3 material released on Blu-Ray includes pillar boxing.  With these it does 'nothing' on a 16:9 display which is correct, but on a 4:3 displays it also does nothing, so we're left with the burned in pillar boxing on the size and also now letter boxing at hte top and bottom because Kodi is framing it as 16:9.

This also is a problem on 16:10 displays like on the Steam Deck, where it will again wither zoom too much cropping the sides or not crop at all depending on how the image is framed.  It seems that quite simply this is built around the assumption that the display will always be 16:9 which I'm sure is true 95% of the time, if not more.  But is support for taller aspect ratios such as 4:3 and 16:10?
*Updated link, previous posts have incorrect link, requested to be deleted*

You can try my fork of this add-on here.

I only have a 2.39:1 ultrawide and windows 11 to test on, but seems to be working great. Take note that I removed the imdb functionality and android workaround because it was giving me errors.
(2024-02-19, 14:56)archegon Wrote: *Updated link, previous posts have incorrect link, requested to be deleted*

You can try my fork of this add-on here.

I only have a 2.39:1 ultrawide and windows 11 to test on, but seems to be working great. Take note that I removed the imdb functionality and android workaround because it was giving me errors.

So yours is a little better, when I play the 'Wide screen but with baked in letter boxes' on a 4:3 display it does nothing, rather than zooming, which is optimal.  However it still takes no action with anything with pillar boxes.  So the '4:3 show with hard coded pillar boxes to meet Blu-Ray specs' files still don't get zoomed in at all.

Also your addon doesn't 'check again' when playing a file again.  I have multiple clients, with a shared database, so they all see the same zoom settings in the same DB.  If I play the baked in pillar boxed show on my 16:9 display, your version will zoom in which is correct.  I press stop and move to a system with a 4:3 display, your add does nothing and the zoom it triggered on the 16:9 system remains in effect.  So now visual image is cut off on the sizes.
Do you mind sharing your kodi logs after the 4:3 screen scenario for me to check? And could you give me examples of 4:3 shows with letterbox hardcoded?

I have only implemented "Zoom to fit height", have not got around to doing "Zoom to fit width" yet.

As for the "checking again", I suspect that after changing displays the new zoom levels calculation returned 1.00 or less, thus no action is taken.
This can happen when "no horizontal black bars are present" when using the normal viewtype. A fix to always apply the new zoom level should resolve that.
(2024-02-19, 20:33)archegon Wrote: Do you mind sharing your kodi logs after the 4:3 screen scenario for me to check? And could you give me examples of 4:3 shows with letterbox hardcoded?

I have only implemented "Zoom to fit height", have not got around to doing "Zoom to fit width" yet.

As for the "checking again", I suspect that after changing displays the new zoom levels calculation returned 1.00 or less, thus no action is taken.
This can happen when "no horizontal black bars are present" when using the normal viewtype. A fix to always apply the new zoom level should resolve that.
Oh wow, that's amazing.  I appreciate your interest.  I'd obviously not be offended if you said 'A multi Kodi client setup, with MySQL shared database, and a mix of 16:9 and 4:3 displays is too much of an edge case to put any effort into'.  And it's not like I can't just cycle the 'zoom' button on the remote till it's right' in any given situation.  THis is me just wondering 'Hey I wonder if there's a more optimal way to do this?'  I'm sending you a private message with a Gdrive link to the sample files and the log file, since these are full episode DVD and BD remuxs I imagine the mods would prefer I not link such downloads publicly.  Also the file is over 5GB because it has three remuxed episodes in it.

Vandread 1x01 [480i][DVD][Remux][Dual].mkv - This is a 16:9 anime that was never in high def and the DVD was not anamorphic, so it features burned in letterboxing.  The most typical scenario for this addon so maybe you didn't even need this sample.

Urusei Yatsura S01E01 [1080p][BD][Remux].mkv - An old anime series from the early 1980s, it's obviously 4:3 but has burned in pillarboxing as the BD spec has no provision for 4:3.  (An oversight if you ask me, it even supports 1440x1080, but only while still flagged at 16:9 so it's just for doing an anamorphic encode.  You can't flag it 4:3 and have your BD be BD legal)

Rugrats 1x01 Tommy's First Birthday [480i][DVD][Remux].mkv - This is a weird edge case, it's a 4:3 cartoon show, on DVD, but it's widescreen anamorphic with burned in pillarboxing.  'That's stupid, why would that be like that?  DVDs can just be 4:3' you ask.  It is stupid.  Some rushed modern 4:3 DVD authoring jobs are all done on 16:9 displays, and the person doing the authoring does them this way without realizing this mistake until they've sold a few thousand units and some nerd like me goes 'Wait, WTFHuh' and by then they don't care.  The entire Rugrats complete boxset is like this.  It's a fairly rare mistake but not unheard of.
(2024-02-19, 20:33)archegon Wrote: Do you mind sharing your kodi logs after the 4:3 screen scenario for me to check? And could you give me examples of 4:3 shows with letterbox hardcoded?

Nevermind!  I am apparently not allowed to send you a PM, it says your PMs are disabled.

Welp, here ya go.  Sorry mods, I tried.

(Link removed so the mods don't get mad at me)
(2024-02-19, 22:23)DJ_Izumi Wrote:

Nevermind!  I am apparently not allowed to send you a PM, it says your PMs are disabled.

Welp, here ya go.  Sorry mods, I tried.
I really like your set up, I love tinkering with all kinds of hardware and software myself!

Good news, I have a new release that I just finished and after testing on those three videos, it is working well on my end.
The latest release should zoom until either the width OR the height of the video touches the screen even with letterboxing burned in, without losing any content.

Here is the latest release. Do try it out and I would appreciate any feedbacks.
(2024-02-19, 23:38)archegon Wrote: I really like your set up, I love tinkering with all kinds of hardware and software myself!

Good news, I have a new release that I just finished and after testing on those three videos, it is working well on my end.
The latest release should zoom until either the width OR the height of the video touches the screen even with letterboxing burned in, without losing any content.

On the Urusei Yatsura file it works exactly as one would hope. Very pleased. Rugrats, not so much, it zooms to 1.143 when you'd want basically 1.33. So it's doing something and zooming in but not enough.

Other than Rugrats, which may be weird either due to noise in the pillarboxes or because it's anamorphic AND pillarboxed, it seems to work great on everything I'm testing. I think Rugrats is literally my only series like that in my entire media server, I've only even heard of this issue on a handful of releases in my life. The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Star Trek TOS, Cheers, and others, it all zooms in on my 4:3s, stores the zoom info in the MySQL DB, and pops back to fit on my 16:9s. I just need to make sure every client has this addon. I'll test on my Steam Deck:S 16:10 screen tomorrow. Even minus the Rugrats thing (And the releases that are like it, I can count on one hand) this is a huge improvement as I enjoy a lot of 'old cartoons and shows' as 'background radiation' while working from home. If you could address the Rugrats issue even better but even this much work is greatly appreciated.
(2024-02-20, 01:52)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2024-02-19, 23:38)archegon Wrote: I really like your set up, I love tinkering with all kinds of hardware and software myself!

On the Urusei Yatsura file it works exactly as one would hope. Very pleased. Rugrats, not so much, it zooms to 1.143 when you'd want basically 1.33. So it's doing something and zooming in but not enough.

Other than Rugrats, which may be weird either due to noise in the pillarboxes or because it's anamorphic AND pillarboxed, it seems to work great on everything I'm testing. I think Rugrats is literally my only series like that in my entire media server, I've only even heard of this issue on a handful of releases in my life. The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Star Trek TOS, Cheers, and others, it all zooms in on my 4:3s, stores the zoom info in the MySQL DB, and pops back to fit on my 16:9s. I just need to make sure every client has this addon. I'll test on my Steam Deck:S 16:10 screen tomorrow. Even minus the Rugrats thing (And the releases that are like it, I can count on one hand) this is a huge improvement as I enjoy a lot of 'old cartoons and shows' as 'background radiation' while working from home. If you could address the Rugrats issue even better but even this much work is greatly appreciated.
Noted. I did an overhaul on the zoom level calculation, it should also be more adaptable and compatible with all monitor/tv aspect ratios now. I tested it with your three videos again and it is still working fine on my end.

Hopefully it works for you too. Latest release
(2024-02-20, 03:56)archegon Wrote: Noted. I did an overhaul on the zoom level calculation, it should also be more adaptable and compatible with all monitor/tv aspect ratios now. I tested it with your three videos again and it is still working fine on my end.

Actually, this didn't work at all. I think it's bugged. Smile

Log file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Aq6w0i...sp=sharing

Guessing the issue is somewhere in here however:

Code:
2024-02-19 21:04:11.096 T:4200 error <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <class 'NameError'>
Error Contents: name 'video_player_ar' is not defined
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Ashes\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.black.bars.never\addon.py", line 28, in onAVStarted
self.abolishBlackBars()
File "C:\Users\Ashes\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.black.bars.never\addon.py", line 207, in abolishBlackBars
self.CalculateZoom()
File "C:\Users\Ashes\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.black.bars.never\addon.py", line 210, in CalculateZoom
content_width, content_height = self.getContentDimensions()
File "C:\Users\Ashes\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.black.bars.never\addon.py", line 134, in getContentDimensions
player_width, player_height = self.getVideoPlayerDimensions()
File "C:\Users\Ashes\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.black.bars.never\addon.py", line 64, in getVideoPlayerDimensions
if (monitor_ar > video_player_ar):
NameError: name 'video_player_ar' is not defined
-->End of Python script error report<--
(2024-02-20, 04:10)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2024-02-20, 03:56)archegon Wrote: Noted. I did an overhaul on the zoom level calculation, it should also be more adaptable and compatible with all monitor/tv aspect ratios now. I tested it with your three videos again and it is still working fine on my end.

Actually, this didn't work at all. I think it's bugged. Smile

Log file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Aq6w0i...sp=sharing

Guessing the issue is somewhere in here however:

Code:
2024-02-19 21:04:11.096 T:4200 error <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <class 'NameError'>
Error Contents: name 'video_player_ar' is not defined
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Ashes\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.black.bars.never\addon.py", line 28, in onAVStarted
self.abolishBlackBars()
File "C:\Users\Ashes\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.black.bars.never\addon.py", line 207, in abolishBlackBars
self.CalculateZoom()
File "C:\Users\Ashes\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.black.bars.never\addon.py", line 210, in CalculateZoom
content_width, content_height = self.getContentDimensions()
File "C:\Users\Ashes\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.black.bars.never\addon.py", line 134, in getContentDimensions
player_width, player_height = self.getVideoPlayerDimensions()
File "C:\Users\Ashes\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.black.bars.never\addon.py", line 64, in getVideoPlayerDimensions
if (monitor_ar > video_player_ar):
NameError: name 'video_player_ar' is not defined
-->End of Python script error report<--

oh, I see whats wrong. I wanted to remove some unnecessary logging code before release, but accidentally deleted one extra line of code so everything stopped working. Joys of programming!
Thanks for the heads up!

Anyway, I released a new version that fixed it: latest release
It's still zooming Rugrats to only 1.14, however when I play on this particular system, I see a green line along the edge of the video.  I wondered if this was a render issue with DXVA, changed the render method to 'software' and the results were now to zoom to 1.33.  So this may be a bug in rendering on my particular system I'm using in DVXA.  It's a BeeLink MiniPC with a Ryzen 6600U APU inside it.  So this may be a rendering quirk of one particular system of mine, maybe others, I'll to look.  I took a look at other DVD REmux's on my setup and while I see the same greenline on later, widescreen anamorphic episodes of Spongebob even without any pillarboxes, I can't see it in anything else I tested either 4:3 or anamorphic.  Also, this must be a DXVA render issue, not decoding, as the graphics chip in this APU is so new it's abandoned MPEG-2 hardware decoding.  DXVA is only doing the rendering here not the decoding.

Also, if you have any time for a single QoL request: This addon makes a popup notification every time it does something or nothing, when for 90% or more of files there's no need to do anything.  Is it possible to add a toggle for 'silent' operation, where it will make no popup notification in Kodi?

Including a log all the same.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-JPnx--...sp=sharing

Screenshot for context, on the white of this forum it may not show very well, but screen right there is a green one pixel wide line going up the edge of the rendered video that stops at the letterboxes which Kodi is adding.  This could be messing with your detection?
[/quote]
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I have created an addon to remove all black bars, including hard coded0