• 8(current)
I have created an addon to remove all black bars, including hard coded
(2024-02-20, 16:30)DJ_Izumi Wrote: It's still zooming Rugrats to only 1.14, however when I play on this particular system, I see a green line along the edge of the video.  I wondered if this was a render issue with DXVA, changed the render method to 'software' and the results were now to zoom to 1.33.  So this may be a bug in rendering on my particular system I'm using in DVXA.  It's a BeeLink MiniPC with a Ryzen 6600U APU inside it.  So this may be a rendering quirk of one particular system of mine, maybe others, I'll to look.  I took a look at other DVD REmux's on my setup and while I see the same greenline on later, widescreen anamorphic episodes of Spongebob even without any pillarboxes, I can't see it in anything else I tested either 4:3 or anamorphic.  Also, this must be a DXVA render issue, not decoding, as the graphics chip in this APU is so new it's abandoned MPEG-2 hardware decoding.  DXVA is only doing the rendering here not the decoding.

Also, if you have any time for a single QoL request: This addon makes a popup notification every time it does something or nothing, when for 90% or more of files there's no need to do anything.  Is it possible to add a toggle for 'silent' operation, where it will make no popup notification in Kodi?

Including a log all the same.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-JPnx--...sp=sharing

Screenshot for context, on the white of this forum it may not show very well, but screen right there is a green one pixel wide line going up the edge of the rendered video that stops at the letterboxes which Kodi is adding.  This could be messing with your detection?
Yes, from the logs I can confirm that green line is the problem, the addon can detect it. I'll have to think of a solution... I could skip checking the first few pixels on the edges of the video.

Sure, I'll make a toggle for notifications soon too.

Thanks for the analysis!
(2024-02-20, 16:52)archegon Wrote: Yes, from the logs I can confirm that green line is the problem, the addon can detect it. I'll have to think of a solution... I could skip checking the first few pixels on the edges of the video.

Sure, I'll make a toggle for notifications soon too.

Thanks for the analysis!

I appreciate that effort, because it's def the edge case of an edge case. Even on another AMD based system, an RX 6400 plugged into a 1440p monitor, I can't replicate that green line.
(2024-02-18, 20:37)DJ_Izumi Wrote: This also is a problem on 16:10 displays like on the Steam Deck, where it will again wither zoom too much cropping the sides or not crop at all depending on how the image is framed.  It seems that quite simply this is built around the assumption that the display will always be 16:9 which I'm sure is true 95% of the time, if not more.  But is support for taller aspect ratios such as 4:3 and 16:10?

A bit late to the party but let's get to it Smile
As you have noted, the add-on assumes a 16:9 display, hence all the queer behavior in taller displays. I have thought of making the calculations display aspect ratio agnostic, but never got around to it due to time constraints. I am keenly following the discussion you're having with Archegon about his fork, if he solves this then I can integrate the solution upstream much easier.
Quote:Even on another AMD based system, an RX 6400 plugged into a 1440p monitor, I can't replicate that green line.
How does the addon perform with Rugrats on this system that doesn't output the green line? Does it zoom more (correctly) or still zooming lesser than expected?
(2024-02-20, 17:06)osumoclement Wrote: How does the addon perform with Rugrats on this system that doesn't output the green line? Does it zoom more (correctly) or still zooming lesser than expected?

I can't reliably answer that question because it's also plugged into a 16:9 monitor. I can test later but during the day it's the computer I'm working on for my actual employment, so it'll have to wait till after hours. The 6600U machine is the machine that entertains me while I work, so I'm free to spend 5mins here and there to test something on it.

However, just as the 6600U in software rendering, which works correctly and zooms to 1.33 on a 4:3 monitor, I'll presume it'll work as well, I just can't test that theory till this evening.
Hi

Thanks for this much needed addon. I have a request if you can please let me know how to disable the popup notification informing me that it is doing zoom. it lasted on the screen and wouldn't go away. 

nordicguy
(2024-02-20, 17:06)osumoclement Wrote: How does the addon perform with Rugrats on this system that doesn't output the green line? Does it zoom more (correctly) or still zooming lesser than expected?

I've finished work and done the test. Set the desktop resolution to 1600x1200 and basically turned this fancy pants 16:9 IPS FreeSync display into a poormans 4:3 panel. In Windows 10, with the Radeo RX 6400, wit DXVA as the renderer, there was both no green line rendered and the addon behaved correctly.

So I have a DXVA render quirk specific to one system it seems.
(2024-02-20, 22:22)nordicguy Wrote: I have a request if you can please let me know how to disable the popup notification informing me that it is doing zoom. it lasted on the screen and wouldn't go away. 

It never goes away even after a few seconds?
no sorry I meant it doesn't go away if I press escape but it goes away after some time although it keeps scrolling veeeeery slowlyyyy I just wanted it deactivated. the addon works and I don't need notification

nordicguy
I have added a notification toggle in the options, changed noticiation to trigger only when zoom is above the default levels.

Implemented a fix for the green line rendering bug, but it is not tested as I cannot replicate it. DJ_Izumi, I would appreciate if you could test out the latest release to see if it resolves your problem.

Latest release
(2024-02-22, 01:36)archegon Wrote: I have added a notification toggle in the options, changed noticiation to trigger only when zoom is above the default levels.

Implemented a fix for the green line rendering bug, but it is not tested as I cannot replicate it. DJ_Izumi, I would appreciate if you could test out the latest release to see if it resolves your problem.

Latest release

Zoomed to 1.32 on Rugrats.  I'm pleased. Smile

I did find an edge case that can 'fool it', as it does fool Handbrake's automatic crop function: The first four episodes of WandaVision.  This Marvel TV series works as parodies of various TV series over the ages, including being '4:3 with baked in letter boxes' for the majority of the episodes.  Episode 1 was fine but Episode 2, 3 and 4 it zoomed to 1.33.  This is not a request for a patch, as this is obviously a super oddball 'mixed aspect ratio' example.  One might argue that a user would even prefer to zoom DURING much of the episode and return to nonzoom once it leaves the 'black and white TV world'.  The 'correct' thing to do in that case is really highly subjective.

I don't see a way of working around this short of taking a crazy amount of samples and I doubt that's worth it for such shots.  I'm sure it's possible to dig forever for super weird multi-AR series like this to find insane edge case after insane edgecase.  Nothing's perfect.  Also everything I'm talking about would only be an issue on a 4:3 or 16:10 screen, anything 16:9 or wider would not zoom anyway.

I'm super pleased with this addon and will add it to every machine I have. Smile
(2024-02-22, 05:06)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2024-02-22, 01:36)archegon Wrote: I have added a notification toggle in the options, changed noticiation to trigger only when zoom is above the default levels.

Latest release

Zoomed to 1.32 on Rugrats.  I'm pleased. Smile

I did find an edge case that can 'fool it', as it does fool Handbrake's automatic crop function: The first four episodes of WandaVision.  This Marvel TV series works as parodies of various TV series over the ages, including being '4:3 with baked in letter boxes' for the majority of the episodes.  Episode 1 was fine but Episode 2, 3 and 4 it zoomed to 1.33.  This is not a request for a patch, as this is obviously a super oddball 'mixed aspect ratio' example.  One might argue that a user would even prefer to zoom DURING much of the episode and return to nonzoom once it leaves the 'black and white TV world'.  The 'correct' thing to do in that case is really highly subjective.

I don't see a way of working around this short of taking a crazy amount of samples and I doubt that's worth it for such shots.  I'm sure it's possible to dig forever for super weird multi-AR series like this to find insane edge case after insane edgecase.  Nothing's perfect.  Also everything I'm talking about would only be an issue on a 4:3 or 16:10 screen, anything 16:9 or wider would not zoom anyway.

I'm super pleased with this addon and will add it to every machine I have. Smile
That's great!

For media with multiple aspect ratios. the only consistent way to automatically zoom would be to continuously check every few seconds.
I might make that feature as an opt in feature in the options for systems with decent hardware.

Unless there is a way for me to get information on when exactly the media aspect ratio changes with meta data or online sources.

I'm glad you are finding the addon useful!

osumoclement, does the imdb parser from the original work for you?
(2024-02-22, 05:38)archegon Wrote: That's great!

For media with multiple aspect ratios. the only consistent way to automatically zoom would be to continuously check every few seconds.
I might make that feature as an opt in feature in the options for systems with decent hardware.

Unless there is a way for me to get information on when exactly the media aspect ratio changes with meta data or online sources.

I'm glad you are finding the addon useful!

Personally, I feel like the more specific solutions one looks for for edge cases the more new problems you risk introducing. Like weird popping in and out for a documentary where all the 'talking head' segments are 16:9 but all the 50 year old archive footage is 4:3 and such?

This add on as it is is already much better for manually changing the zoom on demand. It's great and nothing's perfect. Smile
Quote:For media with multiple aspect ratios. the only consistent way to automatically zoom would be to continuously check every few seconds.
This would be a viable way of doing this. In some systems that are not powerful enough, I think this might cause dropped frames, and this is a bad thing to have, almost as bad as the black bars themselves. The best thing would be to test this on some common devices people have i.e Firestick, Android TV's etc, and observe if it introduces dropped frames, especially in high bitrate content (i.e a 4K Bluray). If it has no measurable impact then good to go (as an opt in feature with a disclaimer on potential performance impact).
Quote:Unless there is a way for me to get information on when exactly the media aspect ratio changes with meta data or online sources.
I don't think you can find this anywhere at all. IMDB, which is the gold standard for such information, only goes as far as telling you that Aspect Ratio X is in certain scenes. You can see this in the IMDB entry for WandaVision as an example:
Code:

Aspect ratio
1.33 : 1(Westview scenes, episodes 1-4)
1.78 : 1(Westview scenes, episodes 5-7)
2.39 : 1(episodes 8-9, variable for episodes 1-7)
Add-on wouldn't have a way of knowing when the "Westview scenes" start and end in an episode.
Quote:osumoclement, does the imdb parser from the original work for you?
Yup, works like a charm. I have the Homatics Box R 4K Plus, which is Android, so I have to use the Android workaround. I have watched dozens of Movies and TV Shows, and I am just amazed at how accurate it is. I am curious on why exactly it didn't work for you, two of the reasons I can think of is that maybe you played media that KODI has no metadata for (KODI need to know the title and year of release for this to work) or it was on a system without internet? If something else happened, there probably would be an entry in the debug log.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that, for media with multiple aspect ratios, the way the add-on currently works is this. If your device has internet, it will realize the media has multiple aspect ratios and do nothing (leaving it up to the user to either watch as is, or zoom manually. I usually watch as is, because if you zoom manually, you wouldn't know when to unzoom cause you'd see a full-screen picture all the way till the end). If the device has no internet, then it would just apply the zoom logic on the first aspect ratio it encounters. This is not ideal, as then user wouldn't know there are other aspect ratios in the media, and would be watching the wrong aspect ratio whenever it changes in the movie.
There are two solution to this problem:
i) Always have internet on your device, and you'll never have to worry about multiple aspect ratios.
ii) The proposed feature that always checks aspect ratio every few seconds

One more thing. The script seems to check for only 3 aspect ratios, as you can see in this code:
Code:

__ar185 = self.LineColorLessThan(__myimage, 0, 1, __threshold)
__ar200 = self.LineColorLessThan(__myimage, 1, 3, __threshold)
__ar235 = self.LineColorLessThan(__myimage, 1, 5, __threshold)
Never really understood how exactly this code works, as I got it from a source I can no longer find (Google is shit nowadays). So ideally, there needs to be more aspect ratios added, I just don't know how to do that. One big strength the Android workaround has is that it is not limited to these pre-defined aspect ratios as it gets the exact figure from IMDB. Hence there would be rare cases where Android workaround would work for a really obscure aspect ratio, while the frame-checking method would not.

Latest release

thank you Smile
I have released an update that added back the Android Workaround method.

Also added the ability to detect multiple aspect ratios based on online metadata.

Auto refreshing of the zoom on multiple aspect ratios media, this is toggleable in the options, but it is NOT available for the android workaround method.

osumoclement, please take a look and if everything is working fine, feel free to incorporate the updates upstream.

Latest release
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I have created an addon to remove all black bars, including hard coded0