Pictures - solving bugs, need inputs
I saw it as a minor performance improvement but I guess it could also be viewed as a bug fix so a backport is not out of the question.

It's unlikely to help with the freeze you describe though, more information is needed.

Please get some CPU and GPU usage graphs.
The fix only helps relieve the GPU when focus goes to a non-scrolling line. On focused scrolling lines GPU is still going to be taxed.
Some CPU usage would be avoided but the effect should be minimal - though with hundreds of lines that have their scrolling initiated, it could adds up.

Do you get the same type of freeze when you navigate the Movies / TV Shows / Videos with scrolling text?

Were you able to try the same situation on a desktop type computer?

What do you call "larger folders of images"?
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks, and all valid questions @Crystalp!

Ok, so the platform here is CoreElec on an Odroid N2+ - so unfortunately CPU/GPU usage graphs are probably not achievable.  I can see the CPU spiking in top when having the hangs/lags, though - goes from the normal of a few percent to 50 to 90%.  So something is going on...

I've just done some more testing (basically it makes pictures unusable so I've not actually been using it much lately) - and see I've somewhat misrepresented the problem.   But that's a clue in itself - in fact it doesn't matter if there's only a few images - e.g. a folder with 5 images.  The thumbnails appear very quickly.  These are all JPGs in the few hundred K to 1mb or so range - pre-sized to 'fit' precisely in 1920 by 1080 (so e.g. 1600x1080, or 1920x1000 or 1920x1080 etc) - as Kodi's down-scaling is not the best, this is better than using e.g. 4K originals. 

The issue in questions happens only in Thumbails view as far as I can tell - if I use another view mode I can then move between images seamlessly, and the images when clicked on load basically instantly.  The issue is specifically navigating between thumbnails - each such navigation causes a distinct mini-hang - from like 5 seconds to many seconds.  As this is the only view (in Confluence, that I use) - that has scrolling labels, it seemed like this might be related.

So, normally I view in thumbs mode.  I enter a new folder and the thumbs start popping in at a fast rate.  But I can't then navigate between them without - each and every time - these long lags. 

It's definitely not a network speed or open/close thing, that's all handled in milliseconds:

Code:

2023-06-01 17:23:46.501 T:3782    debug <general>: CNFSFile::Open - opened FastAlbum/Mirrored Collections/Nature/Birds/Australian Magpie/2020-10-23_12-24-42__A230100.jpg
2023-06-01 17:23:46.525 T:3782    debug <general>: ffmpeg[0xd3423df0]: [image2] Custom AVIOContext makes no sense and will be ignored with AVFMT_NOFILE format.
2023-06-01 17:23:46.584 T:3782    debug <general>: CNFSFile::Close closing file FastAlbum/Mirrored Collections/Nature/Birds/Australian Magpie/2020-10-23_12-24-42__A230100.jpg

I do not get the same issues with movies and TV shows in thumbnails mode, no.  And I don't see this issue on my Windows desktop either (also using NFS to the same pool of images).

It's a bit of a puzzle - I can workaround it, I guess, by not using Thumbnails, but that's a shame as the idea is kinda to browse the folder and find the best shots!
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I don't think I can go much further, not having the same type of hardware or OS.
I tried Confluence, same view and CPU/GPU usage don't even register a blip when navigating, debug doesn't show anything other than key presses.

I'd suggest creating a new thread in General Support / Linux or in Picture Support, as this is not a development topic.

For a more standard situation and easier analysis, you could reproduce with Estuary skin and a Kodi install without any customization (except for the photos source and other settings relevant to make the problem happen) - back up your normal profile first.
To rule out network completely, upload a few pictures to the box so they're local.

There is something in your signature about "no help w/out a *full debug log*". You know what to do :-)
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yep, can't argue with that - and my apologies for the thread invasion!  I'll spend some time really working it out and then document it properly (elsewhere!).
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pictures - solving bugs, need inputs0