From scratch to 8 channel recording
Hi to all,
i am planning to create a system to do 8 channel recording.
can you provide help with this? i am new to all this.
i will create a new system for this and i can use external array or ssd stripe if needed.
my current plan is a core i5 7th generation, 8gb ram with either intel graphics or some nvidia if needed.
which tv tuner cards do you suggest?
i need to simultaneously record 8 different greek tv channels.
Regarding addons... i will install kodi and then what? i read about tvfrontend, vdr, pvr... i got lost... what should i use?
Kodi is just a client, best to start reading here https://kodi.wiki/view/PVR/   Normally you start by deciding between Linux and Windows for your OS platform.

Assuming your channels are DVB you may not need 8 tuners since some backends allow you to recording multiple channels on one frequency.

For Kodi use the graphics card on the backend is largely irrelevant, unless you are also using the backend to stream to web clients not Kodi.

8 recordings is a lot though and there might be other factors in your decision, since for example, NextPVR is for personal use only.

Also note to this forum cannot be used to discuss access to commercial channels via IPTV or illegal decryption.

Martin
My setup Amlogic s905x with CoreELEC and Tvheadend. Digibit r1 with 4 sat tuners .
And some client boxes around the house to view tv with Kodi
I built an Intel Linux TV Headend back-end with 9 DVB-T/T2 tuner dongles for the 9 RF muxes that were broadcast at that time in the London, UK area.  I had to roll my own Linux kernel as the default DVB subsystem maxes out at 8 adapters (it's trivial to change this when you configure your Linux kernel build)

I had 3 x Playstation TV Dual DVB-T tuners for PSB 1 & 2 (BBC / ITV / C4 / C5 SD services) and for COM 4,5,6 and Local (the other DVB-T SD muxes).  I then used a Win TV Dual HD for the DVB-T2 COM 7 and COM 8 muxes (both now ended which carried a mix of BBC HD and other HD and SD services) and an August T230 for DVB-T2 PSB 3 (carrying BBC/ITV/C4/C5 HD services). All fed from a rooftop antenna via a small amplifier splitter, and connected to the Chromebox I was running Linux on via a powered USB hub. (Probably unnecessary)

As others have said - you should only need one tuner per RF frequency - hence I had 9 tuners for 9 frequencies / muxes (allowing me to record any of the many TV and Radio services available at that point on the UK platform OTA)

These days I have switched to a Quad Tuner HD-Homerun and a Dual Tuner HD-Homerun set-up - on the basis that will handle most of my requirements.  I also have an 8-tuner SAT>IP receiver.  This means my TV Headend server gets all of its TV streams over the Ethernet network feeding it, and has no need for DVB drivers or USB tuners. I run the DVB-T/T2 and DVB-S/S2 tuners on separate TV Headend platforms so as to keep things simple.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
From scratch to 8 channel recording0