I was asked to describe my setup
An example of the confusion this generates is:

(2023-07-02, 21:02)Buschel Wrote: Finally this will fill the server IP address which is input to the method [mDNS lookup:] you were adding.

From my perspective, I don't even see the point of resolving ("lookup") a mDNS name in this way if you already have an IP address. That method is meant to resolve myname.local-addresses into IP addresses, not IP to IP.
That is understood. Still, your method ends up having an ipv4 or ipv6 IP address at the end, right? This is then used for further commands, downloads, TCP and such.
My point is just that the old service discovery was not supporting ipv6 at all. I was not sure, if this missing support might be the cause of your problem with the stock remote app.

If your solution still works better, as in resolving a given server name to an IP which the service discovery does
not find, that‘s a different thing…
(2023-07-03, 15:33)Buschel Wrote: If your solution still works better, as in resolving a given server name to an IP which the service discovery does
not find, that‘s a different thing…

Yes, that's the only way I've tested (except the service discovery part — mDNS should work regardless of whether service discovery works); I've never involved Find Kodi since that would require a running Kodi instance and would then still only return an IP address, which already works to connect with. mDNS addresses meanwhile can be resolved without a running Kodi instance (which explains why no Kodi instance is needed to recreate the initial problem), but they still fail to resolve in this app in particular. Or so it seems.

That said, I think it might be wise to suspect lacking ipv6 support in key areas of the app in general, albeit not in service discovery in particular, but that's just a hunch.
IPv6 should work for the HTTP access (json and image download), if the address is manually entered with the surrounding brackets, like in „[ipv6]“. But the TCP connection will not work, which is used for receiving notifications like changed volume. So, kind of Frankenstein ipv6 support. Wink

Just to make sure I got it right: With your mDNS lookup implementation you could connect to server every 2nd attempt and without TCP?

And if you would use Find Kodi once a running Kodi server, would this find it in your case?
(2023-07-03, 16:22)Buschel Wrote: Just to make sure I got it right: With your mDNS lookup implementation you could connect to server every 2nd attempt and without TCP?
Well, almost... every second launch from Xcode, or more specifically not the first launch from Xcode. As far as I can remember — it seemed to work halfway on subsequent launches for some time thereafter. This suggested some sort of caching of the choice of NIC to me, but I don't know the real reason. There's where I decided to not continue due to lack of intuition about the current codebase.
(2023-07-03, 16:22)Buschel Wrote: And if you would use Find Kodi once a running Kodi server, would this find it in your case?
This is my experience, yes. If it found a Kodi instance on the network and filled in its IP address then iOS could always seem to create a working connection (i.e. choose the correct NIC). There never seemed to be a problem with actual routing on the iOS device, in other words.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I was asked to describe my setup0