Compiling a XBMC for Windows build - some clarifications?
Question 
After a problem with a recent build, I was directed to investigate the possibility of compiling a win32 build - (here)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=219...stcount=12

My primary use of this build is for skinning purposes (Not a win32 HTPC).

I have followed up on this - read the wiki article (here) http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compi...ss_Edition

But I do have some questions regrading this being a complete newbie with anything like this.

1. The article directs the SVN client to "https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC" Is the direction to the Linuxport correct for a windoze build (Confusing)

2. - The directx SDK - Obviously a software install - but is it a program?? files for building? Not sure what it is / what is does.

3. - What is it this compile creates? Is it a single file XBMC_PC type exe, or is it a folder full of files like the XBox install. Not sure what I end up with and how to use it.

4. - Do you need any of the MSDN library stuff as shown on the VC++ Express D/L page? (Or just the VC++Express package?)

5. - The VC++ package seems to use the 3.5.net framework. I currently have V2. Will this 3.5 version mess with my system?

I appreciate the help. Thx muchly.
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
1. Yes, that is correct. The linuxport branch is the main SDL branch, and runs on Linux, Mac OS X, and windows.

2. The win32 build uses DirectSound for audio output, thus the need for the directx sdk. It's essentially files for building.

3. It creates a full installable build. I personally run it direct from my SVN working directory (i.e. where I check out the source to), so all you need in this case is the exe. The build setup will quite happily package it all up for you, and create an installer for you if you wish.

4. VC++ Express is fine - you don't need the MSDN documentation unless you want it (I don't have it).

5. I believe it installs along side v2, but as I don't have VS2k8, I can't personally verify this.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

As far as the .NET Framworks go you can have them installed side by side.

They are backwards comptable 3.0 and 3.5 are really just extra packages and typically they both will require 2.0 anyway. The installer for 3.5 will install 2.0 and 3.0 if they are not present.
** Team XBMC Tester** XBMC 4 ever

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Thx for the feedback guys. It helped a lot. Now I can get-a-rockin on my first build! Guarantee there'll be some serious user error problems Big Grin
ZOTAC IONITX-D-E Intel Atom N330 Dual Core 1.6 GHz NVIDIA ION with LIVE on SSD (now updated to Nvidia Shield Pro (P2897)
This made me beam Big Grin.

This is running under "Debug" from within VC++ Express. Now...how do I get this to export as a standalone program - preferably to run from a Folder? AND...does VC++ Express output the whole package or do you have to build the skin separately?
KidKiwi Wrote:Now...how do I get this to export as a standalone program - preferably to run from a Folder? AND...does VC++ Express output the whole package or do you have to build the skin separately?

Found the answer here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=199...stcount=41
Great Smile

hope you dont mind me jumping on this thread but, I am trying to build the Win32 version and during the build process its coming up with an error 1038 can't find SDL/sdl.h. Belive I have all the prerequisites but seem to be missing something. Any help would be appreciated

Steve
Point 5 from the compilation instructions:
Code:
In VC++, Tools / Options / Projects / VC++ Directories / Include files
    * Add
          e:\Coding\Windows\xbmc\xbmc\lib\libSDL-WIN32\include
          c:\program files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (Summer 2004)\Include
Of course you have to choose the path where you did the checkout of xbmc
WiSo Wrote:Point 5 from the compilation instructions:
Code:
In VC++, Tools / Options / Projects / VC++ Directories / Include files
    * Add
          e:\Coding\Windows\xbmc\xbmc\lib\libSDL-WIN32\include
          c:\program files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (Summer 2004)\Include
Of course you have to choose the path where you did the checkout of xbmc

Thanks, I had done that earlier then had a problem with my PC and did a full re-install and forgot to reset all the correct paths..Dum I know

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Compiling a XBMC for Windows build - some clarifications?1