• 5(current)
Release Audio Passthrough IEC - TrueHD fix/workaround - Testing build
@jogal, in my first edit I was just giving a quick update. As I said, it was a really quick test (only about 10 minutes). I started to notice stutters afterwards and I even mentioned that in my 2nd edit. Furthermore, I then posted a much more detailed report after I had done more thorough testing, where I clearly outlined the video issues I was experiencing.
(2023-01-19, 22:07)Draconix Wrote: I clearly outlined the video issues I was experiencing.

But these "video issues" you mention you were already experiencing them a month ago with 19.4 even and even without using AudioTrack IEC:

(2023-01-17, 21:25)Draconix Wrote: The post of mine that you quoted was before I encountered the video issue. AudioTrack RAW seems to create micro-stutters on about 50% of the high-bitrate 4K videos (with TrueHD) that I've watched.

Then, what I am saying is that your "video issues" may NOT be related to latest fritsch's changes.
(2023-01-19, 22:57)jogal Wrote: Then, what I am saying is that your "video issues" may NOT be related to latest fritsch's changes.

I think you may be right, I was definitely experiencing video issues sometimes on Audiotrack RAW.
My main question now, is why does supertoto's build give me perfect audio and video with IEC? I think if we explore some of the code changes he made, we may have a better understanding of what is causing the video issue.

EDIT: I carefully re-read @fritsch's post in this thread, and it seems clear that there is definitely an A/V sync issue with TrueHD and he is aware of it.
(2023-01-19, 14:42)fritsch Wrote: If you carefully check the A/V sync, you will see that it slowly drifts. The reason for your micro stutters or for the short TrueHD outtage is, that exactly this drifting is corrected.
So previously with TrueHD, the audio would drift out of sync over time. It would then drop out for a moment so that it could re-sync with the video.
It looks like what's happening now is that the new fix makes sure the audio always stays clean. But when the A/V drifts out of sync, the video will stutter to re-sync with the audio.
I think @supertoto1977's build makes sure that the video always remains smooth and the audio always remains clean, but over time it would slowly drift out of sync without ever trying to correct it.
(2023-01-19, 19:27)jogal Wrote:
(2023-01-19, 19:04)Tanzbaerli Wrote: Yes its "on".
I never thought about this setting ..better to turn it generally off?
I just see that in the first post there are settings which i ignored.

Well this is the cause of ALL your problems on Kodi.
  • lip sync  (un-sync of 0.2s)
  • Massive TrueHD dropouts
  • Audio delay even in Kodi GUI sounds

It's been said millions of times (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3066956). Now is again in BIG GREEN LETTERS in the first post.

people don't read!!!

Make sure disable "Dolby processing" and set "Audio video sync" to 0ms in Shield audio settings (all firmwares)

You are right! People don't read exactly.
Shame on me!
Sorry.
I missed that and spent hours of senseless testing.

These settings lead to the lip-sync problem (but only on this movie !?) which is gone now.

If the "non massive" TrueHD dropouts are effected ... lets see.
I did not recognize an Audio delay even in Kodi GUI sounds.

Can somebody explain for what cases these 2 settings
  • "Enable dolby processing" and
  • Not setting "Audio video sync"
makes sense if they destroy the TrueHD Atmos sound?
Without this forum i would have never thought that this has to do anything with my audio problems. I think that many users of Kodi and Shield will use these wrong settings.

I will see if this also affects my micro audio dropouts. The the new build definetely changed the behaviour despite these wrong settings.

I will be more careful in future tests!
Dolby-Processing: People buy soundbars and don't know what they do - and then say: I only get 2 speakers ... 2 channels ... but,  but, but it was 1000 bucks and so on. Though - they connect it to ARC only, or it only supports 2 pcm channels. That's why e.g. FireTV or Shield allow a "dolby processing" feature. That takes all the PCM input and makes Dolby AC3 or Dolby DD+ from it, which only uses 2 channels bandwidth to send it out. This gets directly active when a sink is shortly unloaded, which happens on wide seek, etc. where the sink is reconfigured.

Audio video sync: The only guy inside kodi that knows how Audio and Video fit together is the VideoPlayer. No matter what the internal logic does (counting seconds, bytes, don't know) how should it ever know what offset to apply? (Dynamic part). Fixed part could work with one difference: if they do it in Software, which I highly suspect, they might manage it via CPU-loop back and fool around with the audio buffers - e.g. faking old delay up, trying to delay output below. This again will nicely fool VideoPlayer who does a whole lot of things to "match" Time video is on screen (VBlank, fences, etc.) and also Audio: after each packet it asks the Audio-Engine: GetDelay() - so that it can guarantee a smooth playback with both Audio / Video being perfectly in sync.

Though: The android system is not made for that really :-( until the new TimeStamp API, which you are only allowed to call every second (!) and then interpolate yourself - the only choice you had was "remembering" how much "ms" you already played, asking the headPosition of the API, which only updates every 200 ms if you are happy and calculate back from that. This is especially horrible in the "RAW" API, where delay and especially pause bursts is highly guessing things. It is better with IEC API, but not good. I use a moving average inside Audiotrack to cope with that. [1] (if you have too many samples, AE will realize, if you have too few, AE will see the non existing buffer drop).

Refreshrate switching, which most other android players don't support, also does not really help.

From the technical limitations of this platform compared to Linux or Windows - I am quite happy that people only complain for "one outtage" in a movie Tongue

If you are interested in the code, check how many lines (100ts) the AudioTrack GetDelay method is: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...K.cpp#L646
And compare it to Linux: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...A.cpp#L880

I think this says it all ... Android made a long way unti what we have today, but not yet a perfect A/V delay possible by design.

[1] https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master....cpp#L1187
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Your explainations make me thinking of switching away from the android devices.
An old pc (where 2 are standing around) would probably do a better job, just the remote control must be configured in the right way.
To have all my desired applications (Netflix, Amazon Video und Kodi), all in 4k HDR direct sound,  steering per remote in in easy way .... not so simple!?

I used the extremly old Xtreamer Sidewinder 3 (2012) for a long period of time which had DTS-HD Master output and no problems with it.
The video player did all in a perfect way but the rest of the device was not really good.
It had a Kodi like Videoplayer ... maybe it was Kodi?

With 4k (and Netflix and Amazon Video) i had to change.
I used the Fire Tv stick 4k for a long time (with Kodi) but his DTS limitations are awesome (away from thats its really good device for playing videos)
Now i have the shield because it was available at a deep price on A..... before christmas and i thought this will solve all my problems and bring back DTS and support Atmos
Seems the best universal Android Video/Movie-device but its even not perfect.

But your great software makes even bad devices working very well!
Thank you!
I don't want do put oil on the fire or clutter this thread, but could people who experience issues maybe try to play a movie using Just Player or NOVA ?

In past threads about this issue people have regularly mentioned that with one of these players, they don't experience issues. And since they are both open source, it mighy be worth checking out their source code to see how they achieve their "magic"?

Both players support frame rate switching, TrueHD passthough and Dolby Vision. Only downside is subtitle handling:
  • Just Player uses Android TV's captions settings for SRT files, which are quite limited. PGS subtitles are fine though.
  • NOVA does not play PGS, but the SRT subtitles are fairly configurable.
(2023-01-19, 23:19)Draconix Wrote: My main question now, is why does supertoto's build give me perfect audio and video with IEC? I think if we explore some of the code changes he made, we may have a better understanding of what is causing the video issue.

My theory (and I don't think I'm wrong):

2% is due to "code changes"
98% is due other package name (clean install effect) then you are using DIFFERENT settings that are not comparable. Less add-ons installed, probably different advancedsettings.... different network protocol to access media files?

As almost always the factory default values are usually the "best".....
Hello,

I've been testing Fritsch's fix Kodi 21 all afternoon long with the settings for Shield Pro mentionned on the first page, and so far everything is working perfectly.
I've not watched an entire movie yet, but during the 4 hours of testing, with differents movies, I've not face an audio stutter once !

I will try to watch a complete movie tomorrow to confirm my first results.

Thanks to the team for all the good work !
(2023-01-20, 19:52)axionwrx Wrote: Hello,

I've been testing Supertoto1977's fix Kodi 21 all afternoon long with the settings for Shield Pro mentionned on the first page, and so far everything is working perfectly.
I've not watched an entire movie yet, but during the 4 hours of testing, with differents movies, I've not face an audio stutter once !

I will try to watch a complete movie tomorrow to confirm my first results.

Thanks to the team for all the good work !
You do realise that Supertoto1977's fix isn't the same as the official fix.
Wink 
Sorry I actually used Fritsch's version and not Supertoto's one.
(2023-01-20, 16:36)jogal Wrote: My theory (and I don't think I'm wrong):

2% is due to "code changes"
98% is due other package name (clean install effect) then you are using DIFFERENT settings that are not comparable. Less add-ons installed, probably different advancedsettings.... different network protocol to access media files?

I use every single recommended setting. I don't use any addons and I only watch local files from a hard drive. I also said earlier that I just copy and pasted my org.xbmc.kodi folder and renamed it to org.xbmc.kodifoo21. All my settings were intact and everything played perfectly (no stutters, no dropouts). It feels like my posts aren't actually being read, so I'm probably going to give up and just use supertoto's Kodifoo build.

EDIT: I'm going to test the Jan.21 nightly build as soon as I can, since it includes some of supertoto's fixes! I must apologize for being so negative in my post... I was feeling like my reports were getting mostly ignored, but now I see that I was wrong.
I updated the first post with the latest nightly builds which contain a jogal's fix, if i'm not wrong.
This fix is like mine but in a more elegant way. Thank you @jogal and @fritsch.

So the main difference between the latest fix and my workaround is the agressive buffer size now.

Please test the latest nightly build on a whole movie.
(2023-01-21, 11:09)supertoto1977 Wrote: I updated the first post with the latest nightly builds which contain a jogal's fix, if i'm not wrong.

Thank you. Out of curiosity, which fix from jogal are you talking about here?
@MrMagic , i'm talking about this fix
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Passthrough IEC - TrueHD fix/workaround - Testing build0