Bug Subtitles fail to download on Kodi Nexus + NVIDIA Shield TV
Since the upgrade to Kodi Nexus a couple of days ago, subtitles fail to download. I tried the OpenSubtitles, SubScene and A4KSubtitles addons, all exhibit the same issue: available subtitles for the currently playing media are listed, but selecting one for download results in an error.

Via debug logging and by examining Kodi's data folder, I noticed that:
  • subtitles are actually downloaded and extracted to the addon's data folder (e.g./storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.subtitles.a4ksubtitles/temp for A4KSubtitles)
  • what fails is the final file move to the destination folder (in my case: /storage/emulated/0/Subtitles); however, it is unclear what causes the failure

Relevant log entries:
log:

2023-01-24 14:24:39.887 T:13966   debug <general>: CPythonInvoker(6, /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/service.subtitles.subscene/service.py): script successfully run
2023-01-24 14:24:39.887 T:13966   debug <general>: onExecutionDone(6, /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/service.subtitles.subscene/service.py)
2023-01-24 14:24:39.915 T:13829   error <general>: OnDownloadComplete - Saving of subtitle /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.subtitles.subscene/temp/7da1d10c-5f3a-49a0-aff0-07a926460892/Video.1234.eng.srt to /storage/emulated/0/Subtitles/Video (1234).en.srt failed
[...]
2023-01-24 14:25:30.830 T:14011   debug <general>: CPythonInvoker(8, /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/service.subtitles.a4ksubtitles/main.py): script successfully run
2023-01-24 14:25:30.839 T:14005   error <general>: OnDownloadComplete - Saving of subtitle /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.subtitles.a4ksubtitles/temp/Video.(1234).eng.srt to /storage/emulated/0/Subtitles/Video (1234).en.srt failed

I also tried disabling saving subtitles to a custom folder (i.e. not to /storage/emulated/0/Subtitles), but that doesn't change anything.
that actually looks like kodi does not have permission to write to the sdcard (/storage/emulated/0/) as the subtitle was in fact downloaded but the addon could not move it from temp to the sdcard
by chance have you enabled the permissions as outlined in the post in the blue banner above ^^^ ?
Hi
After upgrade to Nexus I’ve got the same problem too.
(2023-01-25, 11:07)Jimdr6 Wrote: After upgrade to Nexus I’ve got the same problem too.

Provide your debug log (wiki). I just tried Nexus with OpenSubtitles on a Linux OS, and 'it just works'.™
Haven't tested an Nvidia Shield yet. But do make sure that you enable your storage settings on the Shield, no matter what storage.
(2023-01-25, 13:06)Klojum Wrote:
(2023-01-25, 11:07)Jimdr6 Wrote: After upgrade to Nexus I’ve got the same problem too.

Provide your debug log (wiki). I just tried Nexus with OpenSubtitles on a Linux OS, and 'it just works'.™
Haven't tested an Nvidia Shield yet. But do make sure that you enable your storage settings on the Shield, no matter what storage.

It also works for me on Windows, just not on the NVIDIA Shield. As for providing the full debug log - it is so much work to edit it to avoid leaking all sorts of personal/private data. There really should be an option to redact that kind of information automatically.
(2023-01-24, 23:03)jepsizofye Wrote: that actually looks like kodi does not have permission to write to the sdcard (/storage/emulated/0/) as the subtitle was in fact downloaded but the addon could not move it from temp to the sdcard
by chance have you enabled the permissions as outlined in the post in the blue banner above ^^^ ?

That fixed it, thank you. Weird, why won't the default setting that allows access while the app is being used work? Worked fine for Kodi Matrix before.

I had noticed the banner before, but I figured it doesn't apply since I'm not accessing any media stored on the device itself.
right on, it seems that setting affects kodi in any number of strange ways

glad you got it
Hi.
I have this problem.
How do I fixe this problem? How do I change the permission?
This video help me fix it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc4LT9BP8nM
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=371331

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles fail to download on Kodi Nexus + NVIDIA Shield TV0