Steinberg Cubase's Virtual Studio Technology (VST) DSP audio effects plugin API?
Question 
Is there any way I can use VST plug-ins with XBMC?

If not, is there any hope for this feature? For many users (like me) DSP plugins like VST are very important to get the most out of our HT systems. There are a lots of great VST filters like EQs and room correction
No, there is not currently any support for VST. I doubt there is any chance that it would be integrated into XBMC as it is a proprietary format, are there even any small/effective open source libraries out there that can use VTS and are coded in in C/C++ programming-language?

I think if any there would be a much larger chance for a open source format such as LV2, LADSPA, and/or NASPRO. All of which have free open source plugins available for them, and free open source SDK software tools to make new plugins for them on your own.

Why do you want it for XBMC exactly? Huh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
The reason is what I said in my first post, I want EQ and room correction in XBMC! I guess it doesn't need to be VST, maybe others would do the same, but VST is the most common today. Winamp doesn't have builtin VST support either, but it has support for DSP plugins, and with this plugin I can use VST filters!

This is what it can do for me: I use a program called Audiolense or DRC to create advanced room corected filters which can be loaded with the VST filterConvolver. This results in one of the best room corrections possible today with 24000band EQ and is MUCH more accourate and better than $5000 HT receivers! But we need DSP plugins to make it work also with XBMC!
Yeah you still need to find an small open source library in C or C++ programming-language which supports the plugins you want first, and it should preferably already be cross-platform or be easy to port to multiple platforms (as all code should strive to be platform agnostic).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I believe there has been some discussion regarding implementing a filter framework for both audio and video playback, however it would definitely be a post-Atlantis feature. VST support could theoretically be implemented as one of the chains in the filter.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Some form of Audio DSP is something I personally would love to see in XBMC, the plugin interface should be fairly easy to implement but the main problem would probably be to find any Audio Programmers to create the plugins, if any one is out there please make yourself noted Smile

Cheers, Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
also surely these plugins are not platform neutral ?

Topfs2 Wrote:Some form of Audio DSP is something I personally would love to see in XBMC, the plugin interface should be fairly easy to implement but the main problem would probably be to find any Audio Programmers to create the plugins, if any one is out there please make yourself noted Smile

Cheers, Tobias

Theoretically XBMC really doesn't have to include DSP plugins at all as long as there are an plugin interface so you can add DSP plugins. This is how it's done in programs like ZoomPlayer, Winamp, Foobar... This way the DSP plugin it self really doesn't have to be platform indendent as long as there are an platform indenpendent plugin interface. I guess this could result in many DSP plugins for Linux and only a few for Windows, but a few is better than none Smile
I would also love to see this. I do not currently have a surround pre-amp, but constantly consider going for Audiolense XO and some kind of sound card that would connect directly to my power amplifier(s).

But since I absolutely love XBMC, I would not take this step before I know it is a supported feature.

DrE
I create VST plugins. (I've created something like 96 of them)

I can tell you all right now, if this feature were to be added, I would instantly release (for free) a bunch of plugins for use with XBMC. They would NOT be open source, but these plugs would be free. I would then immediately create a reasonably priced commercial package as well. Like many in my field, I would not even consider LADSPA, I may however consider Mac AU. As far as Android goes, they don't support real time processing (at least not with live input from say a guitar, or mic, although I could be mistaken?).

I installed Media Portal specifically because they DO support VST plugins, however, I could not get that program to do a damn thing for me! I have never seen anything like that before, such a big program and absolutely nothing would work!

@Gamester17
Although VST is owned by Steinberg technologies, it is 100% free! That's why there are literally hundreds of thousands of freeware VST plugins available for download. XBMC would do well to implement this interface, Even MAC supports it! I don't know about Linux however, I have never seen it supported, and I guess that's because it is believed to be a Windows technology and anything windows to a Linux guy must be crap right? Anyways, I think VST and ASIO actually got their start on a Commodore?
+1 for NotMediaSavvy,

There is a post here with alwinus and wisler to create an add-on
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=186857&page=2

I think it's a great news for audiophil community
Quote:I create VST plugins. (I've created something like 96 of them)

Hi NotMediaSavvy ,

we welcome you to develop audio plugins for XBMC Big Grin

But I think to support VST binarys are hard. I to my knowledge there is no full support under Linux or Android.
Is the code inside a VST plattform independent?
If yes I think it would be possible to write a bunch of wrapper classes, so that you recompile your VST code and provide it as an XBMC Addon.

Quote:They would NOT be open source, but these plugs would be free. I would then immediately create a reasonably priced commercial package as well.
But I don't wanna see some commercial packages, because XBMC is free and all Addons should be the same. All developers from XBMC do the programming work in their spare time and to release commercial packets would break the fundamental idea behind Open Source software.
I think it's ok to publish the binarys, because not every one has the time and the knowledge to compile the Addons for himself.

I am of the same opinion as fritsch:
Quote:... I don't care a single bit about a company out there, that might sell more plugins cause I implement that widespreed interface their plugin works for in my freetime.
this was from here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1634591

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Steinberg Cubase's Virtual Studio Technology (VST) DSP audio effects plugin API?0