Long delay before Play or skip
Help Please
In the latter part of last year I had NextPVR-server running under ubuntu 22.04 on a Pi4 connected to a Hauppauge Nova-S2
Shows were recording successfully and playing back almost instantly. It was only when I went to add a second Nova-S2 that my problems started:
somehowthe OS got corrupted and I decided to start over with a clean 22.04 server install. After which My attempt to re-install NextPVR 22.04 failed: I could not get the scanned channels to save.

So installed Librelec + NextPVR-server - and now have TV progs recording.
BUT
I am now finding and this did not happen before, there is a >40 second delay before the recorded program starts to play.
and coupled to this:
when I first try to skip forward there is a similar delay jumping forward. One I have skipped and waited, skipped and waited a few times the wait time gets shorter/almost instantaneous.
To reiterate; this was not the case when I had nextPVR-server running under ubuntu 22.04.

I'd love some thoughts as to how I trouble-shoot this.
NextPVR on Pi4 + Librelec +  X2 Hauppauge Nova-S2
Recorded media stored on Pi4+Argon+NVMe
Playback via Kodi on Pi4 + HiFiBerry amp X2
plus Kodi installed on Android on Sony TV's

Without the Kodi debug logs there is absolutely nothing anyone can do for you.  I've already given you suggestions on the NextPVR forum (try to take the NAS out of the equation, remove advancedsettings.xml) so try those first.

Martin
I would check and see if the video is being transcoded. Transcoding will happen at the start of a video and if you skip ahead past the furthest transcoded part. This will introduce another delay.
Certainly server based operations can have an impact on playback so checking other processes would make sense.  That would include comskip and post processing of recording to mp4 etc.  LE10/LE11 based RPi servers should be able to handle basic http streaming easily.

However the pvr.nextpvr addon itself doesn't have a mechanism to request transcoded recordings only live TV.  Source IPTV might be transcoded  but DVB-S live TV recordings would be streamed for direct play.

Martin
@mrdally204  - thank you. I have not 'activated' transcoding.
@emveepee  - I am in the process of setting an external SDD mounted directly to the lebreelec/Nextpvr.
If that does not sort the problem I'll upload some logs.

Steve

Yes, good start. I'd be interested in the results
There is much more to this then SSD speed,  even playing a recording from an SD card it should never take that long to start streaming.

Martin
Thank you for the replies.

@Atreyu Connected ssd direct to Pi (USB) running NextPVR. There is now virtually no lag!

@emveepee I am now thinking this is down to a problem with the Ubuntu installation on the server, possibly caused by a faulty power connection between the Pi4 and NVMe drive - (it’s an Argon M2 + NVMe) which is throwing up a series of errors every time I do so much as touch the USB 'interlink'
This has, I think corrupted part of the OS which handles network traffic - I wish I knew enuf to dig into this! (Suggestions/links, on the best way to troubleshoot/solve network issues gratefully received.}
Argon, who have been very helpful are sending a replacement power board. Once fitted I shall re-install the OS and hopefully find that things are improved. Although I'd lprefer to delve into the problem and sort it.

Another thing I am struggling with is getting the external SSD to mount on start-up. I can mount it manually with mount-a but doing so automatically escapes me.
(Apparently it's a different process to mounting an nfs network share, which I have cracked)

S

If you are using the same PC for a share, and you couldn't get NextPVR running on it before, it makes sense that things won't work until you get the errors corrected.  Now we are off topic but this might help https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/23775-...tructions/

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Long delay before Play or skip0