• 25(current)
Android Fire TV Cube 3 & HD Audio Passthrough w/24p Support (Workaround Builds)
Hello!

I'm not at home at the moment, but I will check my settings when I get home. I did audyssey calibration when I installed speakers and haven't manually changed any settings (except turning up level control for HDMI input to try and get louder sound from Fire cube).

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Davor
Hello!

Thank you for the information. I will try Omega nightly and see how it behaves.

Best regards,
Davor
(2023-12-23, 19:13)davorf Wrote: Hello!

I'm not at home at the moment, but I will check my settings when I get home. I did audyssey calibration when I installed speakers and haven't manually changed any settings (except turning up level control for HDMI input to try and get louder sound from Fire cube).

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Davor

Well, if you haven’t changed any settings after calibrating with audyssey. There’s a chance that the settings in the video I tagged is turned ON by default. When you get home double check that setting and if it’s ON turn it OFF and check a Dolby Atmos track and see how louder is the volume and if it solves your issue. 👍
Hello!

I've finally solved low volume issue. I've tried changing loudness management to OFF, but it haven't changed anything - volume was really low, even with levels bumped up on all speakers. Than I found I've actually changed one setting after finishing Audyssey calibration (and forgot about it, since it was 2 years ago). After finishing calibration, it asks if you would like to turn Dynamic equaliser (default ON), and Dynamic volume (default OFF) - so I left default values (I guess). TV audio had Dynamic volume set to Light, while HDMI input was set to OFF. After changing HDMI Dynamic volume to Light too, volume from Fire cube is finally equal to volume of live TV.

Now the only remaining issue is Fire cube not switching to DD/DD+/Atmos after playing video that has it (it shows DSur - multichannel PCM - until I manually switch it to DD/DD+/Atmos using AVR remote).

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Davor
Hello,

Is it possible to fully pass through AC3 tracks as bitstream? It seems that everything is decompressed and compressed again as EAC3 (transcoded). I suppose the same happens to EAC3 tracks and I guess only DTS (and HD formats) are truly passed through as the audio mixer system cannot decompress and manipulate it? Would be great if the audio device could be blocked exclusively for bitstream passthrough of AC3 streams.

Similarly, I noticed sample frequency changes (for ex. 96khz) works in multichannel PCM mode (for ex. 6 channel FLAC) but not for Stereo PCM (always output as 48khz). I guess the reason is similar to the above, i.e. if the input is stereo, AC3 or EAC3, the sound is decomposed and recomposed at 48khz by the internal audio mixing system, while multichannel, DTS and HD formats are plainly passed through. It would be great if this behavior could be applied to all type of audio input.

Alternatively, I would prefer that PCM is used for stereo unless a full pass through is possible. However, under the "Best available" setting, PCM is only used for multichannel audio, while EAC3 locked at 48khz is used for Stereo and AC3 input, and DTS is fully passed through. If I chose "Always PCM", the passthrough options are missing / not working, and everything is output as PCM (locked at 48khz in the same way as in the other setting).
Nothing kodi can do - FireTV Cube firmware is doing the extraction and so on.

Kodi _always_ sends what you ask it. Everything else happens behind its back by the amazon firmware, transparently.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2023-12-24, 20:32)davorf Wrote: Hello!

I've finally solved low volume issue. I've tried changing loudness management to OFF, but it haven't changed anything - volume was really low, even with levels bumped up on all speakers. Than I found I've actually changed one setting after finishing Audyssey calibration (and forgot about it, since it was 2 years ago). After finishing calibration, it asks if you would like to turn Dynamic equaliser (default ON), and Dynamic volume (default OFF) - so I left default values (I guess). TV audio had Dynamic volume set to Light, while HDMI input was set to OFF. After changing HDMI Dynamic volume to Light too, volume from Fire cube is finally equal to volume of live TV.

Now the only remaining issue is Fire cube not switching to DD/DD+/Atmos after playing video that has it (it shows DSur - multichannel PCM - until I manually switch it to DD/DD+/Atmos using AVR remote).

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Davor

You should be turning all the dynamic crap off and just accepting that some recordings have higher levels than others and adjust the volume control to suit.

Also just put the 21 beta or a newer nightly on and enjoy all the other benefits that have been added, works perfectly on my Cube 3.
Hello!

I've done some reading and came to the same conclusion. AVR receives signal already decoded to PCM because Fire cube does it, instead of sending DD signal and letting AVR do the work.

Thank you for your answer. Let's just hope Amazon will include some kind of passthrough in Fire cube too in future updates.

Best regards,
Davor
Hello!

I've already installed 21 nightly, since izprtxqkft advised me to do so.

Regarding dynamic AVR settings, it's not just some rips. Everything is way too low, even live TV. And I tried to compare sound with those options both, ON and OFF. I really can't tell difference (if I turn volume up when it's OFF so it's the same level as when it's ON). It sounds the same. Maybe the room is too small to tell difference in sound quality. This way I don't have to turn volume past 50 (it has to be, if I want the same volume), and AVR works in Eco mode (low consumption, much less heating).

Thank you for your reply.

Best regards,
Davor
(2023-12-27, 22:38)davorf Wrote: Hello!

I've already installed 21 nightly, since izprtxqkft advised me to do so.

Regarding dynamic AVR settings, it's not just some rips. Everything is way too low, even live TV. And I tried to compare sound with those options both, ON and OFF. I really can't tell difference (if I turn volume up when it's OFF so it's the same level as when it's ON). It sounds the same. Maybe the room is too small to tell difference in sound quality. This way I don't have to turn volume past 50 (it has to be, if I want the same volume), and AVR works in Eco mode (low consumption, much less heating).

Thank you for your reply.

Best regards,
Davor
Eco should be the first thing you turn off! Why buy a decent AVR and completely knobble it? They literally only add that to get a lower energy rating sticker, you're not meant to actually use it.

On my 3500, 30 is everyday watching, up to 10 for watching a film.
Sadly I start getting bug reports from semi-broken firmwares that - in comparison to FireTV Cube 3rd edition start to behave properly. Means: They open with 170 ms, then consume 500 ms - and

have a proper delay afterwards. In short I cannot distinguish "good devices" from "broken firmware" reliably ... which is why I have to - sadly - hide the "superviseaudiodelay" switch behind an advanced settings ...

Edit: I will report when it's in and really needed - for the time being, the default will work as is.

Find the final included advancedsettings here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=376161
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello!

Did something change in nightly lately regarding Fire cube 3rd gen? With nightly from 10.02.2024 I'm getting audio sync issues again. Sometimes it starts OK, sometimes it doesn't. But it will go out of sync as soon as I press skip. 

Best regards,
Davor
(2024-02-13, 23:14)davorf Wrote: Did something change in nightly lately regarding Fire cube 3rd gen?

yes, read the post directly above yours
you need to add that to the advancedsettings file
Hello!

Thank you for the information. I've read it, but didn't understood what it is about exactly. 

Best regards,
Davor
Hello!

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I've added code provided to advancedsettings.xml, and it didn't help, audio is still out of sync.

Advancedsettings.xml didn't exist, so I've created empty file with that name on the computer, pasted code from fritsch's post and copied it to android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/user data. Are these correct steps? I've used Notepad++ for editing xml, so, structure of the file should be OK.

Edit: I've just tried switching passthrough device from Kodi (IEC) packer to Android IEC packer, and the sync issue is gone, even when using skip on the video. It's there a downside on using this passthrough device instead of Kodi's?

Best regards,
Davor
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV Cube 3 & HD Audio Passthrough w/24p Support (Workaround Builds)0