How to prevent or avoid the "Welcome" screen in Windows Vista
Hi all,

Is there any way to avoid the "Welcome" screen of windows vista??

Thanks
tebicenter Wrote:Hi all,

Is there any way to avoid the "Welcome" screen of windows vista??

Thanks

to do this you can only have one user account visible from the welcome screen, and it cant have a password

read this on how to remove accounts from the welcome screen. it works on vista

http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2006/09...ws-xp.html
You could try this
http://www.onetipaday.com/2007/05/27/how...ith-vista/
Thanks to both of you guys for the reply, but that's not what I meant.

The Welcome screen that i'm talking about in Vista is that when a user logs in (in my case it has an autologin like the links you posted) a "Welcome" message appears while XBMC, among other things, is loading in the background. So I want to remove that screen.

Hope this could clarify what I mean.
Is it the "Welcome to Vista, here's all the nifty things you can do" screen?
If so, theres a checkbox at the bottom labeled "Run at login" or something like that - just uncheck it.
mmmm, no...

It the one that says "Welcome" and it has a green spining icon
I know the screen you're talking about. Usually it's really short but on some computers it hangs around for a while. On one of my computers it's so fast you never notice it. On my htpc it sits there for about 30 seconds.

I don't think you can do anything about it.
nevermind, removing logon messages via group policy only works in xp
xanadu1979 Wrote:I know the screen you're talking about. Usually it's really short but on some computers it hangs around for a while. On one of my computers it's so fast you never notice it. On my htpc it sits there for about 30 seconds.

I don't think you can do anything about it.

That's the thing, the first time I installed my HTPC with Vista, I didn't got the chance to see, like you said. But then, by any kind of microsoft magic, it started to show and last around 20 seconds.

Weird
Apparently it's probably due to an application or service starting up causing windows to hang whilst it starts. You could try removing startup programs or disabling various services to track the offending program down.
hookman Wrote:Apparently it's probably due to an application or service starting up causing windows to hang whilst it starts. You could try removing startup programs or disabling various services to track the offending program down.

Yeah, I just did that yesterday, I disabled several services... and seems that it has the same boot time, so, no luck here
how about enabling verbose logon messages and see which process is causing slow logon, and then see if there's anything to do about it?

Quote:Instead of showing the default logon, logoff and shutdown status messages you can enable detailed messages that will tell you exactly what is going on. Wondering what is taking your logon so long? With detailed messages turned on you will see messages like Processing group policy and other specific tasks Windows Vista is executing.

To enable detailed status messages on your computer, follow these steps:

1. Click on the start button and key in gpedit.msc and hit Enter.

2. When the Local Group Policy Editor has loaded, navigate through Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates and select System.

3. Locate the Verbose vs normal status messages policy, right click and select Properties.

4. Select Enabled and hit OK.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to prevent or avoid the "Welcome" screen in Windows Vista0