Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database?
Lightbulb 
I would like to suggest a new option so that library mode would work without using scraper/nfo files. I believe that both scrapers and .nfo-files should be optional.

If no scraper is selected, and no .nfo file is available. Then a very basic library would be created using the name of the folder (or the name of the file, based on that setting).

I download new movies all the time. I delete movies all the time. Most of my movies are non american (and cannot be found by any of the scrapers). In my situation it is impossible to use the library mode. I just dont have the time to manually create .nfo files for all my movies.

I'm sure that there are a lot of people having the same problem as I do.

Feedback?
I think this would be a very valid option for something like home movies (which you could use for movies if you want to).
It should be relatively easy to implement (all the code is already in place for Music Videos).
It's just a matter of convincing a dev it's something he really needs.

If you don't use Music Videos in your library you could play with that (NFO scraper) and see how it goes.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Maby the system doesn't need to be altered at all. Maby the only thing that is needed is a new scraper that "scrapes" info from folders/file names. It could be called "Folder scraper" or "Filename scraper". Or "Default scraper" that looks at the setting "use foldernames when scraping".

I might be wrong here since I'm not a developer, and don't know anything about the inner workings of scrapers.
what's the point of a library without any info? we already have that - it's called file view
The point is that

1) lots of skins (aeon, mediastream) doesn't fully support file view. The new XBMC remote for iPhone doesn't support file view. Using library seems mandatory.
2) there should be a easy way to get started with the library without using scrapers and .nfo files. In my case scrapers doesn't find anything and .nfo takes to much time to created.

With a "default scraper" that use filename/folders I can start out easy - and choose to put more info in some of the .nfo files if I want to. Or I can choose to use a more advanced scraper for some of my movies.

Using a advanced scraper for all of my movies is not a working solution for me. It will only give me invalid data. I want to use a filename/folder scraper first, and then move on to more advanced scrapers/nfo-files later if I feel like it.
Think of this feature as a way for Library newbies to start using the library.
Sorry for tripple posting. But I just wanted to say that I'm not the only one with this problem. This Nfo generator was created for beginners that want to start using the library http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36167

However. My suggested solution seems more elegant than using a platform dependant software to generate these nfo files.
nothing is elegant about voiding the entire point of a thing. your solution is no solution at all.
Sorry to hear that. What do you believe is the best way for xbmc beginners to start using the library if they are in the same situation like me (1000s of foreign movies)?
where are those movies from? reason i ask if so we can make a scraper to cover them if a suitable backend is available.
Lightbulb 
@everyone, please read through this other thread which discusses something very similar:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=14186

Also checkout this other related idea: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33710

I believe that MeediOS does something like this(?), ...I have not used MeediOS myself but I understand that they do not even have a 'file-mode', instead they scan in all file-names into the database and just display the file-name in library-mode if no meta data could be found online by their scrapers, (MeediOS call their 'scrapers' for "importers" by the way, but their purpose is the same as the scrapers in XBMC).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Some are english, some are swedish, but most are very short videos created by myself and have private content (family etc.).

The short videos don't have a genre/actors etc. They only have a name.

Some of the swedish movies can be found in imdb, but not all (a new scraper might solve that)

But the main problem for me is that I want to list all movies (including my home videos) in library view so that I can view them in Aeon/MediaStream/XBMC Remote for iPhone.

It seems to me that creating a new scraper is the best solution sometimes, but not always.

If you want everyone to start using the library, then you'll have to make the library really easy to use. A default scraper using filenames/folders is a good start in that direction. It will always work. Using the IMDB or another scraper doesn't always work - and that complicates things. Average joe just want things to work ASAP - without issues.
Gamester17 Wrote:I have not used MeediOS myself but I understand that they do not even have a 'file-mode', instead they scan in all file-names into the database and just display the file-name in library-mode if no meta data could be found online by their scrapers

That seems logic (even if it might upset some users). Having both file mode and library mode is only confusing. At least for beginners.
see, what you actually want is a file node in library. not to scan all vids into the db
spiff Wrote:see, what you actually want is a file node in library. not to scan all vids into the db

Incorrect.

If I want to I should be able to add more info to my home videos (like a description or a picture). So I need them all to be in the db. File view is not sufficient.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Make library mode work without scrapers as well - import all files into the database?2