Problem when monitor is turned on after Kodi is started
Hello,

I'm running Kodi 20 standalone (GBM version) on an Orange Pi board connected to a TV over HDMI. I've noticed that when Kodi is started while the monitor (TV) is off, and I turn it on later, I don't see Kodi on the screen (I see a TTY instead, as if Kodi is not running). However, if I start Kodi while the TV is on, it works fine.

Same happens when Kodi is restarted automatically after a crash while the TV is turned off. This is done through systemd (https://github.com/graysky2/kodi-standalone-service).

Is there a solution?
questions:
is the kodi process still running
is the active tty you see the same one kodi is running on

it could be not switching the tty due to undetected display (because its off)
Yes, the kodi process is running on TTY "pts/1" in both scenarios. I start it over SSH though (I'm not sure if that matters).
sounds like its going to be pi specific, something in the config is incorrect, missing or added that shouldnt be there
i dont think this is a generic linux issue
So on Kodi's part, there is no detection of HDMI state (on or off), this is handled by the system/drivers/kernel, and I should look in that direction, correct?
when i researched your concern i had more than enough results to indicate different things need to be added to config.txt to have pi enable a display by default

when on a normal linux desktop os the behavior described is not usual afaik as long as kodi is running and is running on the currently open tty then a monitor's power status shouldnt interfere with the display

if you want to provide a Debug Log i could stop speculating broadly and perhaps find something specific

officially kodi doesnt support pi however, it supports ubuntu on x86_64 hardware so you are likely running a build from core/libreelec/archos/debian and they could potentially behave differently
(2023-03-05, 12:36)jepsizofye Wrote: officially kodi doesnt support pi

LibreELEC, Debian, Xbian, OSMC (and likely others) all have Kodi packages. So depending on your choice of OS, you can find your support. Just not all of them on this forum.
thanks for the assist Klojum thats precisely what i intended

im comparing official kodi behavior on an x86_64 linux (unmolested compilation from xbmc on github without any 3rd party) to behavior on a system with likely one of those builds and it may not be at all the same

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem when monitor is turned on after Kodi is started0