Exiting Kodi app causes my TCL Google TV to crash and reboot
Hi,

I'm running v20.0 on a TCL google tv. TCL 65" Class 6-Series 4K QLED Dolby Vision HDR Smart Google TV - 65R646-CA

If I open Kodi, navigate the menus, and close Kodi all is ok.

If I open Kodi, navigate to the files (eg: Movies - 192.168.1.1) and just change folders and never play a video then exit Kodi the TV becomes very sluggish and after about 30 seconds it reboots (same as pulling the plug).

I can also play a video, occasionally Kodi mysteriously stops playing the video and returns to the list of videos and we can click continue the video. Whether it stops playing or not, when we eventually exit Kodi, the tv becomes sluggish and reboots after 30 seconds (approx).

Suggestions on how to fix?

Regards,
Terry
Have you checked to see how much storage you have left? TVs running ATV typically don't have much spare space for extra apps. Having built in Android TV sounds like a nice idea but most manufacturers don't see the point of adding plenty of storage as they don't really want you to add any of your own apps.

When apps like Kodi run that require some space to cache files, thumbnails etc run out of space it may cause a complete crash as it and any other apps running it the background that require free space will find they have none.

Best advice would be to use an external device connected to your TV to run Kodi.

Failing that, try and capture the crash in a Debug Log and provide a link to it in this thread. Instructions are in the link.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try the log thing... but first...

The TV has a whopping 23GB of memory. Only a few apps installed, lots of space. Not as issue.

I uninstalled Kodi from the TV and reinstalled Kodi from the play store. The Store had v20.0. I setup the network connection to the file system and navigated the folders and when I exited the app the TV became sluggish and crashed and rebooted.

I did get a popup in Kodi informing me that v20.1 has been released, but it obviously was not in the store and Kodi does not appear to have an option to update the app... ?

I saw the notes on v20.1 does not speak of any crash issues, etc...

Cheers!
Terry
Hi,

I uninstalled v20.0 and then downloaded and installed v20.1... same problem.

Terry
Same thing happens to me with my TCL R646. It happens on both Kodi 20 and 20.1 (same with Mavin's builds). I've just decided to stick to 19.5 on that TV. Hope it can be resolved one day.
Just to add. The only way I found for my TV not to crash when exiting Kodi 20 is for me to go straight to the home screen of my TV without closing Kodi and then force closing it from the TV's app settings menu.
Hi GLM,

Thanks for the info. I tried installed 19.5 but got the same results, crashing on exit. Maybe I did something wrong.. I ended up starting using another player which works well (starts with V and ends with C and has L in the middle) lol.

Regards,
Terry
(2023-03-15, 15:46)Dangelus Wrote: Have you checked to see how much storage you have left? TVs running ATV typically don't have much spare space for extra apps. Having built in Android TV sounds like a nice idea but most manufacturers don't see the point of adding plenty of storage as they don't really want you to add any of your own apps.

When apps like Kodi run that require some space to cache files, thumbnails etc run out of space it may cause a complete crash as it and any other apps running it the background that require free space will find they have none.

Best advice would be to use an external device connected to your TV to run Kodi.

Failing that, try and capture the crash in a Debug Log and provide a link to it in this thread. Instructions are in the link.

I'm also facing the same problem on my 55" C735 TCL, each time when I close Kodi my TV crashes 15s after but force closing the app works. I have 20 GB still available.
Here is my debug log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/humafufage.kodi
(2023-04-01, 13:15)fenow Wrote: Here is my debug log

Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules (wiki) as well as its piracy policy (wiki). Setups that have add-ons which are known to facilitate video piracy are not welcome here.
You can either clean out your Kodi setup from all orange-colored entries in your log, or you can seek support elsewhere. The choice is yours.
(2023-04-01, 13:52)Klojum Wrote:
(2023-04-01, 13:15)fenow Wrote: Here is my debug log

Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules (wiki) as well as its piracy policy (wiki). Setups that have add-ons which are known to facilitate video piracy are not welcome here.
You can either clean out your Kodi setup from all orange-colored entries in your log, or you can seek support elsewhere. The choice is yours.

I sincerely apologize about that, I have read the rules before posting but I haven't seen anything about providing logs from an installation with banned add-ons so I thought it would be ok.

Here are my logs from a clean install:
https://paste.kodi.tv/yegobeyiwe.kodi

And a video showing the available storage space, that forcing the application to close works, and that closing from Kodi crashes the TV:
https://streamable.com/w2b6it
Any updates on this? Is this an issue with Kodi or TCL? I have a TCL & a Sony. I use the same version of Kodi on both. I have this same issue on the TCL but not on the Sony even though both are Android/Google TV's.
i had the same problem, then i instal kodi 19.5 and everything was fine.

https://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/
I also ordered the same TV and I'm waiting for it to arrive. Is the specified issue still ongoing? I'm planning to purchase a new Android box for it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Exiting Kodi app causes my TCL Google TV to crash and reboot0