Centralizing (Nvidia Shield) Kodi with Synology NAS.
Hi Guys,

I have a couple of Nvidia Shield devices and I would like to centralize Kodi assests for a couple of reasons:

1. to have access to same information regardless of which room I am in
2. not to keep losing app searches, settings, favorites and so on.  I am using Plex for my personal media, so Kodi is really for the apps and their content, so keeping the data centralized would be key and have it all be part of my backup sets and so on. 

I have created a share folder on my Synolgy called "kodi_home" and includes the following folders:
- databases
- log
- temp

all folders have full R/W rights for all system and internal users as well as groups. 

inside of advancedsettings.xml I have the following

<substitute>
      <from>special://logpath</from>
      <to>smb://192.168.1.157/kodi_home/log</to>
  </substitute> 

and inside of my passwords.xml I have:

<path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://198.168.1.157/</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://<USERNAME>:<PASSWORD>@198.168.1.157/kodi_home</to>
    </path>

I have also added the kodi_home as a mount on the Nvidia OS.

the logs are shwing a permission denied error:

MBFile->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://192.168.1.157/kodi_home/temp/archive_cache/10025-6f2b24d6.fi'
unix_err:'d' error : 'Permission denied'
2023-04-03 10:43:25.228 T:27641   error <general>: Create - Error( Operation not permitted )

and I tested this from inside of Kodi too, I tried to change the download path for an app to one of the folders inside "kodi_home" and it said I do not have write permissions, even with full chmod -R 777 to the entire directory and all its sub directories. I wonder why Kodi still isn't able to write to this folder. 

I would sincerely appreciate some help, as I have been banging my head against this for 2 days now lol! Thank you.
(2023-04-03, 20:54)mrkodsmb Wrote: I have created a share folder on my Synolgy called "kodi_home" and includes the following folders:
- databases
- log
- temp

FYI, SQLite database files are not designed for network usage by multiple users. MySQL/MariaDB is a more suitable option for that, or whatever Plex is offering.
Why do you need to have your logs centralized? If your Kodi devices work fine, you might as well turn off the logging. The same goes for to temp files, these files are useless for the other Kodi setups.
Not all Kodi folders are suitable for network replacements.

As far as SMB goes, determine that all devices are using the same SMB version. I take it SMBv1 is no longer active on your Syno NAS if it has been updated recently.
(2023-04-03, 21:06)Klojum Wrote: FYI, SQLite database files are not designed for network usage by multiple users. MySQL/MariaDB is a more suitable option for that, or whatever Plex is offering.
Why do you need to have your logs centralized? If your Kodi devices work fine, you might as well turn off the logging. The same goes for to temp files, these files are useless for the other Kodi setups.
Not all Kodi folders are suitable for network replacements.

As far as SMB goes, determine that all devices are using the same SMB version. I take it SMBv1 is no longer active on your Syno NAS if it has been updated recently.
Hi Klojum, 

thank you so much for your reply, and you are absolutely right, MARIADB or MYSQL would be ideal, I actually started to customize the python for one of the addons to write to the MYSQL, i changed he connector and rewrote the queries to be compatible with MariaDB, and it works fine, but now every-time that module gets updates I have to reload my queries and its just a headache. all devices are running SMB with min. set to smb 1 and max. so smb 4. I think Kodi has a lot of issues when it comes to SMB connectivity, even the source I have added, everytime Kodi restarts it does not work, I have to go back to editting the source, click on the network connection (previously created) and select it (throws an error) but when you hit ok and you are back to the "source edit" page and if you click on the URL it now says smb://Uswername:password@host/path, and can connect. so there are clearly issues within Kodi app it self, the OS can mount and read/write with no issues, only Kodi isn't working. So I decided not to mess with Kodi's connectivity issues, instead, I added a schedule on one of the devices to create a backup, and I setup auto FTP on the server that would connect to Shield and grab the backup, and move it to each device manually, its doing so every 15 minutes, besides of the 15 delay it seems to be working. Thank you so much for all your help. 
Than

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Centralizing (Nvidia Shield) Kodi with Synology NAS.0